as you may have seen on instagram, i’m on a working holiday in new york this week, and staying in Williamsburg, brooklyn in a wonderful airbnb. it’s a historic townhouse, built perhaps in the late 1880’s complete with all the charms that come with that — a walk-up with some seriously well-worn hardwood floors, cozy fireplace, a beautiful old bannister and used brick walls throughout. the light is quite lovely, as well.
i always opt for renting a home over a hotel, because while hotels can be totally luxurious, it’s just so great staying in a place that’s more like home than a hotel could ever provide. i love to splurge on a hotel now and then, but for extended stays with friends, renting a house allows all four of us to share the space (this one is a 3 bedroom / 2 bath), cook meals together, hang out in front of the fireplace with good wine, great food and lots of laughter. good times ensue! this airbnb is a funky, eclectic space and i love that — every room tells a new story. home is where your heart is, and this place feels just like that.
when you think about your dream house, have you ever had that vision where you’re standing at your kitchen sink and it’s flooded with light and you’re gazing at your lovely, green garden and your little herb garden on the kitchen sill is thriving and all is right with the world? no? well you should try it because it’s really a satisfying image. i’d really, really like my kitchen to have a nice big picture window with light streaming through the space. here’s some kitchen windows that would fulfill all my dream house requirements.
i’m here in new york, williamsburg to be exact, hunkered down in a comfy airbnb waiting on this crazy ‘stormaggedon‘ to pass — apparently there is one big blizzard coming tonight. so i guess i’ve got cozy bohemian on my mind because our place is pretty eclectic and funky, and the bedrooms just the kind of place you’d imagine curling up with a good book and watching the snow flakes fall. so that’s what i’ve got for you today, bohemian bedtime.
okay, who’s up for mixing up some delicious whiskey cocktails? the women & whiskies ladies and i have been sharing some pretty great cocktail recipes with you guys, and your enthusiasm for whiskey has blown me away! it’s fun to know there’s so many of us out there that enjoy a good whiskey cocktail. so now i’m going to turn the tables, and entice you to share your favorite whiskey cocktail recipes with us by giving away a $500 Amazon Gift Card to not just one, but two lucky winners who enter their favorite recipe!
i’m gonna make you drink whiskey to win it though — you’re okay with that, right? maybe get together with your best friends and have an evening of whiskey recipe tastings, or go into hiding and create a top secret recipe — whatever you like, but i’m going to make you work for it a little bit. i’d love for you to share what cocktail you’d create if you had a bottle of Glen Grant The Major’s Reserve single malt whiskey. mix it, taste it and then take a photo of it! i’d love to see some great creativity and styling, but points for a great recipe too! we’ll chose two winners at random, so not too much pressure — just have fun!
in the meantime, while i wait patiently for your recipes, i mixed you up a valentine’s day punch! this one is so refreshing and pretty — perfect for a valentine’s day soiree. it’s called The Major’s Punch, and it’s made with Aperol, fresh grapefruit and lemon juice, simple syrup and Glen Grant The Major’s Reserve. so gosh darn delicious — you can find the recipe right here! add a vintage punchbowl, a pretty table cloth and the adorable je t’aime banner and it’s an instant valentine’s day party!
to enter to one of two $500 Amazon Gift Cards sfgirlbybay’s giving away towards a purchase of anything you like, simply.
• create your favorite recipe if you were mixing up a whiskey cocktail with Glen Grant The Major’s Reserve.
• take a photo of your cocktail and either pin it to one of your pinboards and tag @womenanwhiskies (please note spelling on pinterest — there’s no ‘d’ in and); or add it to your instagram feed and tag it @womenandwhiskies.
• comment below letting us know you entered a photograph; as always, be sure to leave a way to reach you via twitter, facebook, email or your website.
• yay! this giveaway is international so everyone can enter!
• we want to give you time to mix up your cocktails so we’re giving you a couple of weeks, but please share your image & comment by friday, february 13th, 12pm PST.
• we’ll announce a winner selected by random on my twitter account valentine’s day, february 14th, so be sure and follow along.
Top to bottom, left to right:
1. A DIY wall hanging that gets creative with eucalyptus branches
2. This wooden bathroom inside the home of Sydney-based architects
3. Black Barn, a fittingly vine-covered boutique vineyard in New Zealand
4. The garden door of our dreams, perfectly framed in purple
5. Fancy grilled cheese with goat cheese and blackberry jam