unexpected guests: homebug.

30z

today on unexpected guests we’re headed all the way across the pond to visit with Zita Spring, aka zee of the blog homebug. zee lives in dublin, ireland with her boyfriend and two very cute dogs, polly the the basset hound, and django the dalmation — two very sweet looking pups. I loved zee’s cheerful, eclectic home and all the bright, happy colors. here’s a look at what it’s like living in dublin, ireland. thanks for sharing zee, and for those of you readers looking to find more about zee, be sure and drop in on homebug.

8z

2z

What is your idea of a perfect day in dublin?
The formula for my perfect day doesn’t involve anything out of the ordinary and I do variations on it just about every weekend!  My boyfriend and I will start the day with a cooked breakfast and a read of the newspapers, before taking our dogs Django and Polly for a walk in the park beside our house.  Then later on we’ll stroll into town stopping in every charity shop along the way picking up vintage clothes, knick knacks, records and books.  Once in town, we’ll get a spot of lunch somewhere along South Great George’s Street.  We’ll catch an indie movie in the Irish Film Institute in Temple Bar and afterwards meet up with friends or family for dinner in the best Chinese restaurant in the whole world – the ramshackle Sichuan House on Parnell Street – followed by drinks in the Welcome Inn on the same street.  It’s a bar where time has stood still; it retains the faded grandeur of 1960s décor and plays a great mix of music.  Then home to our house or someone else’s to chill out and chat.

14z

5z

16z

10z

What don’t you leave home without?
I’m the sort of scatterbrain who regularly leaves the house without my keys, phone, purse, you name it, but I always have a book or two in my handbag.

4z

9z

3z

What’s on your wish list?
An extension of our 600 sq. ft. house, please!  A kitchen-diner for entertaining in and a bathroom rather than a shower room would be life changing!

29z

What’s your favorite bargain find or product?
I think it’s got to be my antique Chesterfield sofa – it’s one of my dream items of furniture and I got it for €100 through a small ads website.  The person selling it had listed it as “old couch”!

17z

Who is your favorite artist? And why?
I love Danish artist Christina Blaabjerg and have one of her paintings in my living room.  I love her use of colour and the influence of architecture on her style.

18z

What is your biggest interior design nightmare?
Having two big silly dogs means that I have recurring interior design nightmares involving rugs and soft furnishings!  I can’t get too precious about anything in our home because someone is bound to chew on it or pee on it eventually!

1z

22z

23z

Where do you find inspiration?
I find blogs like Door Sixteen, Making It Lovely, Design*Sponge and Sfgirlbybay plus loads of Flickr members very inspiring.  I love Living Etc. and Irish interiors magazines too.  And I always keep an eye on my favourite interior designers like Suzy Hoodless and Danielle Mac Innes.  But I also find inspiration in movies, fashion, art, everywhere!

11z

What is your most treasured belonging?
I have a patchwork blanket that my Grandmother made about forty years ago (it’s in the photos of my bedroom) – my attachment to it is more than sentimental, as it’s such a beautiful thing; every patch of fabric used is stunning.  It’s the one thing I own that’s truly irreplaceable.

27z

What’s your favorite feature in your home?
The cute little fireplace in the bedroom was what made me fall for our house.  Of features that we’ve added ourselves though, I love the white painted floorboards in the den, and I intend giving our bedroom the same treatment soon.

20z

Who would you like to sit down to drinks with?
Michael Chabon, George Pelecanos, Smokey Robinson and Alain de Botton.

33z

Do you have a guilty pleasure?
Spending too much time online and ordering takeout.  Sometimes at the same time!

21z

What is your greatest indulgence?
Music.  It’s one thing I never even try to curtail my spending on, and I get withdrawal symptoms if I don’t have something new to listen to!  Every nook and cranny of our little house is stuffed with records and CDs.  The thought of converting it all to digital and freeing up some space makes me sad, though.  I’d sooner move to a bigger house!

15z

What is your idea of living hell?
Busy nightclubs with awful music.  I like to keep it low-key.

12z

What are some of your favorites websites/blogs to visit?
I read loads of blogs.  My favourites at the moment (besides the obvious big ones) are by people whose individual style I admire, like BlanaidNestled In, Emma’s Designblogg , Chez Larsson , and oodles more..!

Comments
30 Responses to “unexpected guests: homebug.”
  1. Jess says:

That last photo is too cute for words. I love the little fireplace too, what a gem!

2. Shanon says:

This is seriously the sweetest home I’ve ever seen. And the decorating is perfectly edited to make it feel expansive and still cozy.

3. Chelsea says:

I love Zee’s home, so cool and eclectic! Light walls with color splahes in decor, just makes everything cozy. She sure can make alot of the little kitchen, and other nooks her house.

4. That tiny fireplace scenario is speaking to me.

5. evie says:

Great interview! I already had Zee’s living room as a super fave for my inspiration gallery – so it was great to see/learn more. Thank yoU!

6. I love dogs and I love this site!

7. B says:

I love everything about this.

8. Amanda says:

Gorgeous apartment. You have great taste, Zee!
    Seriously, there aren’t enough Irish people on the net or writing blogs.
    I love Dublin. :)

9. cindy says:

i love her home, especially the sanna annukka print in the second to last photo and in some of the others. love the last photo, too.

10. Roxanne says:

I love, love their place! I love spying too things that I own; time for some rearranging!

11. leaca says:

Great stuff. I love that she likes things low-key, a homebody. Like me. =]

12. Ummm… Hello! I love her home and all the color! I’m going to check out her site now. Thanks for the post!

13. What a sweet tour! I love the vintage details and that Chesterfield sofa — and those adorable pooches make me grin!

14. Wendy says:

She has sure squeezed a lot of fun into 600 sq feet and without being at all cluttered.

15. Alissa says:

Such a happy home!

16. Love Love this house!

17. Emma K says:

We are huge fans of Homebug. It is the most influential interiors blog in Ireland.

18. Ashley says:

beautiful home!! i love the black and white rug by the sofa – where’s it from?

19. zee says:

First of all, huuuuge thank you to Victoria – for inviting me to be on sfgirbybay and for all the hard work she put into this piece! And thanks to everyone for their lovely comments! You are all such cutie pies.

Ashley- the rug is from IKEA but I don’t think they still do it, sorry!

20. maura says:

I am married to a Dub and I have spent a lot of time living in and visiting Ireland. Your decor is adorable and especially impressive considering the limited shopping in Ireland. In my opinion either crazy expensive or completly boring. I spent two week in Ireland last August and all I brought home was two plates from the Oxfam shop, lots of Taytos and a yard of incredibly pricy oilcloth from Avoca. You should open a shop! Oh, but I do love the Windy Stair and the Cake Cafe!

21. honeydonthink says:

Beautiful space full of color and life that seems bigger than it’s 600 sq ft! I agree the last picture alone is worth reading this delightful entry. Thanks so much for sharing – inspirational!

22. What a beautiful & sweet home…..I adore that tiny fireplace with the sweet deer on the mantle. Just perfect…..and to top it off, that shot of the adorable sweet doggies piled on top of each other….sold! :)
    xo
    Melis

23. Chesterfield says:

<3 the green chesterfield sofa!

24. kathy says:

zee – you have such a cozy sweet home. especially i love the small fireplace, that last photo and that you use the quilt that means so much to you. am sure your grandmother appreciates that, too.

would you be willing to share where the vase on the dining room table came from (the one with the black bird on it); please and thanks.

and victoria – thanks for these “unexpected guests” posts. i love them!

25. zee says:

Hi Kathy, thanks so much for your sweet comment. Believe it or not, it never really occurred to me that my Gran would be touched that I cherish something she made so much, so it’s really nice of you to put it out there. Thank you.

The vase is called “Les Oiseaux” and is by Pascal Mourge.

26. Blanaid says:

I love Zee’s blog and home. She’s an absolute inspiration, nothing less.

27. orangesugar says:

Can you tell me where you got that lamp in picture 1 and 2? I have been looking for something just like that.

And that last picture is too cute.

28. BeanBags says:

The single best item in all of those photos is that amazing Soulsville Poster. I saw one a while back on wolfgangsvault.com and that photo has just convinced me to part with the $95 it’ll take to secure it.

I found your site through Homebug and this won’t be the last visit I’m sure. Great site!

29. zee says:

Thanks again to everyone for their lovely comments; they really mean a lot and are brightening my day here in dark, wet Dublin!

Orangesugar- the lamp was a purchase from Urban Outfitters a few years ago, but unfortunately they don’t carry it anymore. Sorry! Also, it’s so cool that everyone seems to love that last pic so much, and it was sweet of Victoria to include it. It’s my life in a nutshell!

Beanbags – $95? Yikes! I bought that poster when it was first printed a few years ago because it’s so beautifully designed and features many of my favourite artists, and also because it was affordable (about €15). If you haven’t splashed out yet, I’d recommend searching Ebay by musical artist for other soul music posters – there are lots of similar posters available for a lot less. Mind you, I do love my Soulsville poster and wouldn’t swap it for another!

30. elsa says:

I love the eclectic interior. I like how the colours and everything is put together. How cozy. Like the door handles too. Very inspirational. :-)