unexpected guests: rachel ashwell.

aaa

this week, we have a very special unexpected guest! i’m really excited to share a behind the scenes peek at the gorgeously stylish california home of designer rachel ashwell, of shabby chic.  last week, rachel shared her generous book giveaway with us, shabby chic interiors: My Rooms, Treasures, and Trinkets, and now she’s sharing her private home.

r1

you’ve most likely seen rachel’s brilliant couture home furnishings, accessories and fabrics for years, but it’s so nice to share a little bit about the personality behind the success story. rachel has a cozy, comfortable cottage in santa monica, a beautiful beach community in los angeles, which is actually where i was born. the streets are lined with palm trees and lush gardens, and the neighborhoods are charming. rachel’s home is comfortable and uncluttered and bears the signature style she made so famous, shabby chic. you can read more from rachel on her new blog, and find her store locations on the shabby chic website. thank you so much for sharing your private space with us, rachel!

r3

rachel’s inspirational barn.

r2

r4

What is your idea of a perfect day at your home in Santa Monica?
Puttering in the garden, drinking tea, reading, watching a movie, and spending time with kids and friends, knitting and listening to music.

4188411467_4741e0dd59

r20

What don’t you leave home without?
My ipod.

r27

r33

r37

What are some your favorite local shops, flea markets or sources for finding inventory for the stores?
Michael’s for fun arts and crafts, Santa Monica Flea Markets, and Downtown Los Angeles Fabric Stores.

r34

r35

r30

What’s on your wish list?
a piano.

r39

r29

What’s your favorite bargain find or product?
Rose Painting from original shabby chic book.

dine1

What souvenir did you bring back from your last trip?
Royalty china from England.

4188382907_9f5a08bbc2-1

r11

Who would you like to sit down to drinks with?
Bruce Springsteen.

a-sink

What is your biggest interior design nightmare?
People want things, too much, too fast, too perfect.

k2

Who is your favorite artist?
Degas, I love ballet.

k1

r12

Where do you find inspiration?
Theatre, ballet, opera, and movies.

4188398513_4a295fe56f

Do you collect anything?
Costumes, theatre masks, crowns, Royalty china.

r7

What’s your favorite feature in your home?
My bed with its crisp white sheets.

r10

Do you have a guilty pleasure?
Chocolate.

4189158534_75bda34a05

What is your most treasured belonging?
My “forever to keep drawer” filled with artwork and clothing from my children.

r45

4188407765_5687f79680

What is your greatest indulgence?
Watching ‘gone with the wind‘ two times in a row.

r44

What is your idea of living hell?
Planes, I hate flying.

r41

What are some of your favorites websites & blogs to visit?
Laurence amelie, my favorite French artist; house of bliss; gypsyville — good friends of mine from the texas flea market; and light locations.

r40

Comments
31 Responses to “unexpected guests: rachel ashwell.”
  1. Lovely photos! love your blog!

2. Kat says:

Hi, just want to say a massive thanks to you and Rachel for this post it’s probably my favourite post this year on any blog!
    I love Rachels styling and home and have tons of inspiration from
    her for my designing and also life in general.
    Wishing you a beautiful holiday time, love kat xx

3. Courtney says:

What a soft and cozy space! I didn’t expect to see that leather sofa, but I am absolutely in love with it. The whole home inspires me to take greater care in selecting the things I bring into my own home, and to move somewhere sunnier and warmer.

4. Great interview, Victoria!
    I have adored Rachel’s work for so long and it’s such a treat to see inside her home.
    Love that bed.

5. Brandi says:

I love everything about this post. Oh, the barn and the loveliness inside! Really wonderful questions. It’s so fascinating getting a peek into the life of someone like Rachel.

6. tenthings. says:

gorgeous! i love her style, always have. beautiful interview. ;)

7. Sandee says:

Such gorgeous piccies, thought i’d let you know that you’re in the Time online today, as part of their best pick of design blogs – Congratulations!!!

8. victoria says:

thank you sandee!

and thank you to rachel for sharing her lovely home! i’m so glad you like the post!

9. laura trevey says:

beautiful…
    i love Degas too, and Gone with the Wind is the best movie of all time in my book ~~

10. Heather says:

I’ve been a great fan of Rachell Ashwell for a long time. I have all of her books and love to see the pictures from her own homes. Thanks for the great interview.

11. Kristin says:

Of course her house looks like this! Gorgeous. Congrats on the London Times love, that is where I found you, and now will stalk your blog forever.

12. victoria says:

the interview was all my pleasure, as was putting together these photos rachel provided.

kristin – i welcome stalkers. nice to to have you here! :)

13. megan says:

oh, i want to come live in her house!

14. mrs.ott says:

kay i want her kitchen and i want her couch with all those pretty colorful pillows! love this post!

15. absolutely gorgeous and peaceful surroundings. love her costumes and vintage dresses collections.

16. Raru says:

Your intervew was great. Wonderful job. Thank you for it and have a great day.

Raru

17. Wow! Totally amazing house. It’s blow my mind

18. Karina says:

Good your you! She is terrific!

19. Sanctuary says:

I was just flicking through her beautiful book yesterday, and nearly fell off my chair when I noticed she mentioned my blog here. I feel totally honoured as well as really glad to read and get inspired by this interview, thank you!

20. Autumn says:

Beautiful, beautiful images. I especially love her lovely dining table setup–just what I’m looking for. Now I have an image to show my husband what I’m talking about!

21. sigh… beautiful and inspiring.

22. Meghan says:

her home is amazing!! i love it all – seems effortlessly homey and comforting. i have always loved Rachel’s Shabby Chic items however find them to be so overpriced. her store on Fillmore in SF closed as a result which was unfortunate.

thanks so much for sharing this though!!

23. Jodie says:

Hello. Oh my how I needed this inspiration and a shift of perception….thank u so much…

24. lovely peek! thank you and thank you Rachel!

25. Your photos are so inspirational. I’m crazy about working with slip covers. In my opinion they are easiest and most stylish way to change the look of a room. What would we do without Rachel Ashwell?

26. Michaela says:

Hi I love Rachel Ashwell and Shabby Chic style!!This is beautiful inspiration for me!!I LOVE!!
    Greetings!
    xoxo…by Vicky

27. Jeanine says:

I love your blog, and wow I am so impressed with this post…I have been following Rachel since day one- still LOVE shabby chic and have converted many of my friends in Jamaica to love it too. Thanks for the lovely write-up, we love Rachel even more!

Trackbacks
Check out what others are saying...
  1. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by KrisColvin and Victoria Smith, Victoria Smith. Victoria Smith said: a must-see, very special 'unexpected guest' – rachel ashwell! http://www.sfgirlbybay.com/2009/12/16/unexpected-guests-rachel-ashwell/ […]

2. Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by sfgirlbybay: a must-see, very special ‘unexpected guest’ – rachel ashwell! http://www.sfgirlbybay.com/2009/12/16/unexpected-guests-rachel-ashwell/