alt design summit – the wrap up.

2alt

ish & chi.

oh gosh, i don’t mean to gush, but i don’t even know where to begin to tell you how great alt summit in salt lake city was! not only did we all get out of our pajames, and out from behind our computer screens, but there was so much bonding, generosity and such a blast to be had! from the panels, to the parties, and happy hours — everyone, and i mean everyone (!!) was so nice and so supportive of each other. i met so many new and inspiring friends at alt, and discovered countless blogs i’d never had the pleasure of knowing previously in my secluded little blogger world.

6alt---brooklyn-limestone

brooklyn limestone.

9alt---stash

stash studios.

the summit kicked off with a great early bird presentation on ‘How to Find the Best Design Sites with fabulous speakers Jaime Derringer of Design Milk, Nicole Balch of Making It Lovely, Allison Czarnecki of Petit Elefant, and Karey Mackin of Mackin Ink. and today, i’m going to share some of the great sites the panel shared, and some very new favorites of mine here in this post. be sure and check out all this blog fabulousness!

5alt-not-your-average-ordinary

not your average ordinary.

daily-poeticdaily poetics.

oh-hello-friend

oh, hello friend.

the following alt summit opening day was kicked off with amazing keynote speakers Jean Aw of NotCot, Grace Bonney of Design*Sponge & Maxwell Gillingham-Ryan of Apartment Therapy, and introduced and moderated by none other than heather armstrong of dooce. let’s just say, hilarity ensued — that woman is brilliant. then, quickly followed by some invaluable, honest insights, information and eye candy.

3alt---diversion-projectwe heart it.

7alt---today-&-tomorrow

today and tomorrow.

even when i knocked over a glass of water on the speakers’ podium (yes, mortified, and so very me!), everyone just laughed it off, but in the good way, if there is one. i was terrified up there speaking for the first time, but the alt audience and my panel members galya, and sarahjane , and moderator emily, all helped me keep it together.

4alt-pour-porter

pour porter.

6-alt---mrs.-lilienmrs. lilien.

even having blogged since 2006, i learned more at alt summit than i could have hoped for. and, as i said, discovered some amazing new friends and blogs in the process. all of the panel discussions were filled with diverse, and invaluable information. and, not only was the grand america hotel freaking magnificent, the alt organizers did the most amazing job organizing, and running things as smooth as butter. i’m not exaggerating, i was so impressed, and frankly, quite blown away. if you couldn’t make it this year, i for one, will definitely see you back at alt summit next year. one word: go!

8alt-

dezeen.

boom

booooooom.

Comments
52 Responses to “alt design summit – the wrap up.”
  1. You did such a great job speaking.. you are very real and authentic as I’ve found most of the bloggers at the summit were.. I think that’s why I love bloggers so much! They are design lovers but also very much my sort of people; down to earth, personable and real! It was a pleasure meeting you

2. karey m. says:

not-so-secretly THRILLED {insert a million exclamation points!} that you loved my picks.

makes me feel way smarter. xoxo.

3. Anna @ D16 says:

This whole event sounds like it was completely awesome. I’m jealous!!

4. jaime says:

karey — everyone loved your picks. I am now reading them all!! I can’t get enough of Mrs lilien. OMG.

5. victoria says:

chelsea – thank you so much. next time, i will know what to expect – everyone’s kind and generous ‘therapy’ which calmed me somewhat – and hopefully i will do better. it was so great to meet you, too!

karey – dude, you blew me away. i LOVED your picks! xo

6. victoria says:

jaime – i loved your picks, too! today & tomorrow??? so awesome. i just want to sit here reading in the rain all day! xo

7. victoria says:

anna – i so wish you were there! but, were your ears burning? because you & your blog were the talk of the town! :)

8. Brandi says:

i’m super flattered to be included on this list. like WHOA. i didn’t want to write my whole comment in capital letters but i kinda feel like that.
    and now i’m off to check out all these other super-cool new sites.

9. Natalyn says:

This all looks absolutely amazing and it sounds like it was immense fun. I enjoyed reading all of the #altsummit tweets!

10. liane says:

wow! i can’t wait to check out those blogs, they look sooo good. funny about spilling the water. i act like a complete loon even if i have to speak to a group of 10! thanks,v.

11. victoria says:

brandi – your site is gorgeous!! love it. :)

liane – you must go next year. if for nothing else, but so i have another ‘loon’ with me. i thought i would electrocute the whole panel!

12. As someone who has also knocked a picture of water over at an event, I can say you handled it great! It was nice to meet you!!

13. victoria says:

ha! thanks heather – that makes me feel better! :)

14. Fonda LaShay says:

Looks like it was great! I hope to make it next year!

15. Amy says:

thanks for the intro to all these great new sites!!

16. Sounds so spectacular…definitely on my to do list for next year.

17. PourPorter says:

Thanks so much for the linkage lovely lady. :)

18. It was great to meet you there in person and to hear your terrific perspectives on the panel! Since I’ve been back I’ve been feeling like a kid home after a summer spent at camp–missing everyone but so excited for next year!

19. lana says:

was so excited to go, then had to cancel last moment. thanks for the amazing recap and congrats on all the success!

xo
    lana

20. alex* says:

I agree with everyone, the panels were so brilliant. I think the fact that everyone came across as “real” was what made it so great. I really loved your panel and thought you did a fabulous job!! (if that’s you terrified then I think you’re ready for prime time lady!)

It was nice meeting you finally too. Maybe I’ll see you at Kelly’s Girlie Swap!
    : )

21. Tanya says:

Awesome! I heart your blogs and every pick! Have fun!

22. Tif says:

delighted to hear all your news victoria, you truly were tres brave to step out from behind your monitor and into the real world. i’m mightily impressed and am looking forward to all the lovely sites and pictures you’ve come across this past weekend… from what you’ve shown so far, i can only imagine your brain is having trouble switching off at night!

hurrah! for your first alt summit being a success :)

23. Viv says:

Thank you so much for linking to my blog at the very top. I’m so flattered that my site was mentioned. I too could have written this comment in all caps and with lots of !!!!!!!!’s :)

I really wish I could have been there. It sounded like a lot of fun! x

24. It sounds fabulous, Victoria.
    I’m sure you spilling the drink would have relaxed everyone and their nerves.
    Thanks for the links to some new blogs.

I’d love to hear more about what you spoke about. :)

25. I’ve been buried in studio today so I’m running a little late to this party.
    Thanks so much to Karey and Victoria for the mentions!
    The blogs of these two are at the top of my daily google reader and I am so thrilled to find even more inspiration on the web from the new links.

Much peace and love. Now back to the cows.
    C

26. This event sounds amazing! I hadn’t even heard of it until this post… I’d love to try to go to a future summit. I love that feeling of connecting in person to all of those people you’ve “known” online for so long. When I went to Craft Congress in 2007 in Pittsburgh it felt like that… so many people from the online craft community and we all sort of knew each others names and business names, but it was nice to put a face to all of that and talk in person.

27. Bess says:

it sounds like you had an amazzzzing time! thanks so much for sharing all those new blogs – it’s like christmas morning!

28. Linz says:

is the alt summit by invite only?

29. Oh wow – color me shocked when I open this post and see my house staring back at me. Thanks so much for including me in this amazing set of bloggers. Am not worthy!!

Have to ask – Did my blog really get mentioned at alt? Im having heart palpatations.

30. victoria says:

thanks all for being so kind about my 1st panel discussion! for all my fear, i had a blast!

and, i am so happy to share these links – i just want to cruise around them all day, but am trying to catch up on my own posts!

linz – no anyone can go to ALT! not by invitation only! :)

mrs. limestone – they showed a slide of your blog, on the big jumbo screen! :)

tif – you must come next year!! please!

31. danni h. says:

dearest victoria: it was so amazing meeting you at alt! you are such a sweet and genuine person. i LOVED your panel.. really learned a lot. thanks for the lovely follow up.

xo. danni / oh, hello friend.

32. Hayley says:

wish I was there! It sounds like it was amazing.

33. I am so happy to be reading everyone’s wrap ups about the conference and I’m so sad I couldn’t make it there! Next year :)

And the blogs you posted are great finds, thanks for sharing!

34. so jealous you were able to attend! it sounds like it was an amazing time, hopefully i’ll be able to go next year! can’t wait!

xo katherine aka. urban flea :)

35. Jessica says:

From everything I’ve heard, Alt Summit was amazing. Thanks for sharing it with those who weren’t there!

36. Steph says:

Dear Victoria,
    I began a brand new blog yesterday… as you were the fisrt blog I followed I dedicated you one of my firt post.
    Thanks for sharing your passion, thanks for how your blog inspire me !

37. I’m still using waaaaaayyy too manny of these > !!!!!!!!!!!!!, to describe the feeling of being on the best design blog list, but to find out today about slides on big jumbo screens!!!! ok, when are they going to invent an upper case exclamation mark??!!!

Love hearing these little details, makes me spin.

38. erin says:

thanks so much for sharing your alt experience with us, victoria. sounds wonderful!

39. MrsLimestone says:

A slide? Whoa – that means someone actually thought about it before they got it. How cool. Thanks so much for letting me know – I had no idea.

40. victoria says:

mrs. limestone – i was frantically taking notes, but if i’m not mistaken it was either nicole of Making It Lovely, or allison of Petit Elefant.

41. Kenziepoo says:

I love your recap of things at Alt on this post! So glad that I got to come and meet you in person! :)

42. You are lovely and talented and kind and down-to-earth and that’s why I love you. Can’t wait to hang out again!
    xo

43. Erin says:

The only thing that’s annoyed me about wedding planning is that it forced me to miss Alt Summit. I love being part of such a wonderful virtual community – it sounds like it was even better in person!

44. Lindsey Lou! says:

Adventures in Renovating a Brooklyn Limestone is one my favorite blogs. And thanks so much posting all these lovely blogs. It’s always lovely to find more blogs to read with more talented bloggers than myself.

Trackbacks
Check out what others are saying...
  1. Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by carolineduke: RT @sfgirlbybay: an alt summit wrap-up and my brand new favorite blogs! http://ow.ly/10fWy #altsummit…

2. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Twig & Thistle, Victoria Smith, dannihong, carolineduke, brandibernoskie and others. brandibernoskie said: i'm so blushing: http://ow.ly/10fWy [...]

3. [...] Victoria of sfgirlbybayFrom Liz of Say Yes to HobokenFrom Karey of Mackin Ink From Ellie of Mint From Joy of Oh [...]

4. [...] Petit Elefant has the list of design sites mentioned in the first panel (tons of new ones as well as old favorites), and SF Girl By Bay shares her favorites among those as well as some new favorites of her own. [...]

5. [...] absolutely a word) that was the first Annual Altitude Design Summit. There are many,  many, many, many, many more timely, great wrap-up posts. Instead of recreating those, I decided to pick [...]

6. [...] out some other last words about Alt 2010 here:+ not martha+ Making It Lovely+ sfgirlbybay+ mint Posted by kbeall » guest [...]

7. [...] things. Hope you enjoy them! ~a great post about the Altitude Design Summit by sfgirlbybay~very glam new Barbies via Dwell Studio via if it’s hip, it’s here.~a fun [...]