blog it forward: what inspires me?

elle-decor-south-africa

perfect clutter via elle decor south africa.

voila! the time has come. and ‘blog it forward’ begins! it’s not as simple as you might think to share what inspires me in a single post. i gather inspiration from a multitude of mediums, from even the most mundane items, to the sheer brilliance i find everyday in the world. the internet has brought so much talent to our fingertips, it literally almost makes my head explode.

emma1

scandinavian interiors, like these from emma’s design blog.

i am a visual person. i love listening to good music, but can’t sing to save my life. i love paintings, but photography is more my creative forte. i think you all know my love of capturing the world through a camera. so without saying too much, i’m just going to share a photographic journey of what i personally find inspiring.

neville

the fascinating world of mr. neville trickett.

maybe you’ll learn something new about me. i like chips & dip, as much as i love the exotic flavors of sushi. i love jeans, as much as any fancy vintage dress. i try to diversify. i like contrasts. i try to keep an open mind. i can never decide on just one style. not even two. hopefully, like you, that’s what makes me unique. i can’t wait to see what inspires you.

and, in the spirit of this project, i am happy to introduce sweet eventide, who will follow me tomorrow in the ‘blog it forward’ mashup. i can’t wait to see what jess has in store for us on her beautiful blog, thursday, february 11. and, here is the complete mashup schedule for the next six weeks, or so.

design

keeping design journals always inspires me.

fashion

vintage-inspired fashion makes my heart sing.

satorialist

and quirky, unique style, via the sartorialist.

MAINEMOMMA

all that flickr talent, via mainemomma.

amelie-poulain04

awe-inspiring films and set design.

davidhemmingsimg11

nothing inspires me like geek love, via nerd boyfriend.

books

i love escaping into a great story.

photobooth

always the playful fun of a photo booth.

coop

the unconditional love of dogs.

design-sponge-mantel

stunning interiors, like this, via design*sponge.

twitter

genius i discover via twitter, like the unhappy hipsters.

smokers-in-the-neigborhood

anything camilla engman creates.

doorsixteen

and, well, just about anything door sixteen does.

wary-meyers

but then, i love the eclectic whimsy of wary meyers.

uppercase

contributing to amazing uppercase magazine.

ace

affordable & yet great design, the ace hotel chain.

london

i love a good englishman.

selby

without a doubt, every single thing the selby shoots.

san-fran

and, all things about living in my city by the bay.

*and, last but not least, viewing the other beautiful blogs sharing their own inspiration in our ‘blog it forward’ mashup today. please check out. and a huge thanks to everyone participating and following the ‘blog it forward’ project!

creature comfortshula seventypaper pony

design for mankindink on my fingerspoppytalk

heart fishoh, hello friendsmile and wave

[*follow the mashup schedule here. ]

Comments
86 Responses to “blog it forward: what inspires me?”
  1. What a wonderful list. I particularly identify with the bit about loving The Selby’s work and geek love <3

2. jodi says:

so exciting! and such a wonderful post victoria.

3. legalstyle says:

this is perfection. i agree with you – this city by the bay is SO inspiring. I think I’ve gotten more creative since moving here.

4. that first image is AMAZING! just saw the “blog it forward” on rachel denbow’s blog today and love the idea. so fun!!!

5. Marie says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE your design journals! I have this but online, need to start one in “real” life! Great inspiration, and definitely added a few bookmarks via your post!
    xo
    Marie

6. liane says:

eh, this is gonna be FUN! great post with such yummy stuff to consider. i’m already composing my ‘blog it forward’ post.

7. My favorite is your design journal. I’m always pulling things from magazines and mail – saving for future inspiration in a sketch book. I love seeing how other people collect images and this idea is so fun. Thanks!

8. alex says:

lovely! you did such a wonderful job! it’s going to be very exciting to see everyone’s inspiration! :)

9. LOVE this day 1! fab. fab.
    R

10. What a great kick off to what will be a wonderful source of ongoing inspiration for all of us! I’m so thrilled to be a part of this, and relieved (as a new blogger) that my post isn’t due until March! :o) I used to keep a journal like that for home design, you’ve inspired me to start one for all things design/inspiration.

11. great inspiration post! it will be a hard act to follow. and i just completely got lost in the nerd boyfriend site. lost!

12. amanda says:

So so so bummed that I missed out on this!!! But I love the idea! And I realllly hope there is a round two so I can jump in there. : ) Thank you so much for organizing this… and putting so much time into helping other bloggers out. I’m looking forward to all the eye candy and new blog obsessions in days to come.

Amanda

13. Sarah says:

Thanks for dreaming this project up, Victoria.
    I’m so excited for the Blog it Forward mashup, and all the new blogs/inspiration I’ll discover because of it. Love it!

14. amanda says:

P.S. If anyone has to fall out of the line-up… I would love to fill in. Unless it would be a headache to figure that out. : ) Just throwin’ it out there.

Amanda
    onejoyfulpilgrim@yahoo.com

15. What a way to start us off! Great list, Victoria, full of visual yummies!

16. Uncle Beefy says:

Love the list, Victoria! Practically the whole gosh darn thing! (New tidbits that I have yet to discover!) And Unhappy Hipsters? Worst (i.e., BEST) distraction yet! I’m addicted!

(What a list! I don’t know how you even made sense of all the entries?!! Well done!)

17. tammy says:

lovely to find your blog via my friend caleb (calebchanceyphotography.com) — this is very inspirational, thanks for making my day!

18. I simple love this post. And i Love San Fran. :D

19. Kathryn says:

So excited that this has kicked off! The posts that are already up make me so inspired that I want to spend the day doing creative crafty stuff instead of working or exercising or anything else. :)

20. BEAUTIFUL inspiration post!!!!! so lovely to see what inspires you personally.

thank you victoria for everything you put into this: what a great way to bring the blog community together! i had such a good time finding images and gathering my inspiration!! xo. danni

21. allyn says:

fantastic start! thanks so much for putting this together. excited to peek check out the other blogs hosting the kick off party!

22. victoria says:

thanks so much everyone!! this was a collaborative idea a bunch of us came up with on twitter one night!

if you missed this round, i’m hoping it goes well and we do this again very soon, and you’ll join in.

i’m *finally* awake, and off to check out the other first posts!! :)

hi u.b.! it was pretty crazy! but, it all finally came together! :)

23. Herself says:

Oh Gosh. I’m not going to be able to get anything accomplished today besides going on blogabout.

24. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful…this BIF idea is already inspiring me so much, I love all the fantastic things that inspire you. Especially the unconditional love of a dog…:) Thank you for sharing all of this with us and for coming up with this genius idea in the first place Victoria!
    xo
    Melis

25. victoria says:

i’d like to give a HUGE shout out to creature comforts who started these tweet ideas, and also to swoonette, who first said ‘how about a mashup?’ when we were brainstorming on twitter!!

26. linda says:

Wow, this post is like an inspiration explosion! So much to look at, thanks for sharing and starting this up. I’m super excited to have all these blogs sharing inspiration :P

27. Mikkel says:

Just discovered your blog from an Etsy tweet! How can I get on Blog It Forward?! :-)

28. victoria says:

this blog it forward is technically closed. but there’s no reason why you can’t share what inspires you on your own blogs for us all to see!

we’ll do another one! :)

29. rowena says:

awesome! what a great start. this is going to be fun.

30. Jess says:

Okay I have to breathe and calm down. Why must today be a minimum day for my son’s school? I am so glad you did 10 blogs per day. Somehow this can be managed. I am hyper with excitement. “I love everything in your post” — I think I am going to be typing that in a lot of comment boxes. Also, that YouTube video made my head explode.

31. jodylivingak says:

Brilliant! You took a somewhat lackluster day and added a great deal of inspiration. I love a great team project and this is a GREAT project. Hats off to you and the other 299 bloggers. I will add my inspirations to my Twitter and Facebook.

32. verhext says:

I feel our heads will be swimming with inspiration by the time this is over, hopefully we’ll be able to keep up! I just posted an excellent SF inspiration “skip work and ramble” day – but my blog it forward day is my mom’s birthday! so sweet!

33. Logan says:

Off to a great start – hooray!

34. Susannah says:

Victoria, you and i are practically the same person – we like the exact same things :)

35. jan says:

Your blog and great eye are always an inspiration Victoria!

36. raya says:

Lovely! Why are you so awesome? Perfect clutter…I love that. Thanks again for putting this together – reading these posts is my new morning ritual :)

37. victoria says:

YAY! this is (and was!) so much fun. i couldn’t tear myself away from posting all the things that inspire me.

i should have perhaps put more emphasis on all of YOU guys! when i went to alt, i realized more than ever what a lucky and grand community we have!

i can’t wait to read more, every morning. it’s going to be my new morning ritual too! xo

38. Ez says:

I wish I could have your beautiful inspirations bound in a book so that I could just look at them over and over again Victoria! Thank you for sharing what inspires you with us…and of course a big huge “thank you” and a hug for making this whole Blog it Forward movement happen! xo Ez

39. Hijiri says:

awwwwww you should know that you inspire me!!! (and millions of people in the world!)

how awesome is this going so far? (pretty darn awesome!) :)

i had so much fun posting mine, too, thank you again so much for everything!!! xoxoxo

40. victoria says:

thank you ez! for getting the twitters going, and for creating our beautiful badges!

and to wonderful hijiri for helping me design it all!

and also thanks to ez, jan, raya, hijiri, andrea, erin, danni, rachel and susannah for starting this up with me today! yay! :) xo

41. vanessa joie says:

Woah! What a beautiful post. There is so much goodness in here.

42. Love your list! Truly inspiring.
    -FringeGirl

43. Brigitte says:

Such a great kick-off post! I love how playful it is.

44. shirley says:

Simply wonderful blog! Born and raised in Mtn. View..I love the city. Thank you for this wonderful post of inspirational items!

45. LD says:

What a great way to kick things off! I love so many of your photos and love your design journals…what a great way to keep track of all of your inspirations. Thanks for this creative post!

We’re snowed in here on the East Coast today, so I’m really enjoying reading everyone’s “What Inspires Me” posts.

46. Doris Chung says:

This is great. I especially love your design journals

47. great post! love your inspirations. the images you found are GREAT!!!! so incredible. :) i especially love that first image. my life in a nutshell; perfect organized clutter.

48. Jo says:

A. GREAT POST!
    B. Thank you for organizing this and being inspiring!

49. Belle says:

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you for the link to the good, no make that GREAT, music. I have been snowed in here in Ohio for 5 days and listening to WCRW has been such a blessing today! I can’t convey the joy it has added to my day today. Thank you!!!

50. vee says:

i love this and such inspiring images in this post.

51. Piper says:

Wow victoria – I just love what you’ve shared. such great inspiration – love your design journal! I used to keep one years ago but then just start putting tear sheets in files…you just inspired me to start another journal :)! and i agree…nothing better than the love of a dog :)

52. gorgeous!! This is so wonderful.

53. andrea says:

sooooo great, victoria. so great. we share so many inspirations… which doesn’t surprise me in the least. :)

xo

54. Melissa A. says:

So fun! I loved seeing what inspires you personally. What a great idea you had here. I have a lot of blog visiting to do.

55. So many pretty things here! This is fun!

56. Lynne says:

I love the photo booth pics, and the Englishman…what a great idea for a project, although I admit I’m stressed out just thinking about it! You did amazingly well to organise it all. I’m not organised enough to participate – but maybe by next time I will be!

57. victoria says:

thanks again you guys! i loved all your posts so much. i think what i love about this project is how the theme is the same – what inspires us – but the stories are all uniquely different.

we like very similar things, but share them in different ways! so much fun!!

and thanks for everyone following! i hope you’re having fun and getting inspired, too!

58. Sandy says:

what an inspirational post!! my faves are the decor pictures!!

59. Absolutely brilliant, Victoria. Thank you for creating this platform of inspiration for all!

60. Becka says:

What a visual feast! So lovely! Thanks again for putting this together, I’m really loving it.

Oh, and ‘perfect clutter’? You are a girl after my own heart!

61. Beautiful. You have made my day, and I greedily look forward to the next 6 weeks of posts on inspiration to follow. Thank you for opening your heart just that little bit more than usual! P.

62. Beautiful inspiration!! My head is going to explode, nicely. :)

63. Kelly says:

Very inspiring!! Can I still participate in your blog it forward??

64. Karin says:

Woot! This is fun. Thank you so much for organising!

65. Agnes says:

Too. Many. Links!

66. SonyaLa says:

Correction: pure joy in words and pics….Thank You

67. victoria says:

thanks everyone so much! :)

kelly – this one is all filled up, but we’ll do it again soon!

68. Tina says:

freaking awesome victoria! you are an inspiration, loved your list.

69. In love with your list! Completely inspired me on the Friday morning.

70. mrs. french says:

oh my goodness! this is so lovely and i am completely inspired by you! i have said it a million times before…thank you so much for doing this! xo t

71. victoria says:

thanks everyone – i am so happy to share. it was TOO much fun, thus the long list!

thank you mrs. french – i can’t wait for yours! :)

72. Simone says:

Wow! I always get inspiration from reading your site, but all that inspiration packed into one post — it’s inspiration overload! My entry’s going to be ten pages long after looking at your (and everyone else’s) posts!

73. Eileen says:

Hi Victoria! ~ I’ve been reading each blog and I just wanted to say how much I’m enjoying Blog It Forward! I love it so much! Thank you! ♥

74. I had to go slowly, super slowly through each image because they all have huge amounts of beauty, also, Blowup rules

75. Julie says:

What a wonderful idea. I could help but crash the party so to speak. I hope that is ok. It was a perfect and passionate topic for a perfectly passionate winter’s day.

76. hannah says:

such a good idea victoria!! looking forward to all the blog it forward love.

77. annamaria says:

such amazing inspiration!thank you!
    Annamaria :)

Trackbacks
Check out what others are saying...
  1. Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by sfgirlbybay: yay! blog it forward!! the first post is up: http://ow.ly/15RVo

2. [...] SFGirlByBay: This inspiring blogger is the one who started this whole thing. Be sure to see what inspires her! [...]

3. [...] of the series on what inspires.  I also have to mention that the seriously awesome Victoria from sfgirlbybay put this mash up together.  Way to go Victoria and a big [...]

4. [...] we blog about what inspires us, it’s pretty cool and you can read Victoria’s first post here. 300 bloggers are taking part in it and I’m excited to be part of it! (Though the paranoid in [...]

5. [...] distraction. Read about it here but even easier, view the list of blogs participating here. And  here is victoria’s initial post. [...]

6. [...] I have to send a huge thanks with lots of hugs out to Victoria from sfgirlbybay for putting together this amazing blog mashup, she worked her butt off to pull 300 [...]

7. [...] I’m one of the lucky 300 bloggers participating in Blog It Forward, an idea launched by SFGirlByBay. We’re all writing about what inspires us personally. We’re each being introduced by [...]

8. [...] a comment » My Blog It Forward post, [...]