the art of display.

flickr

via atlitw.

there is a definite fine art to display. if done properly, it shouldn’t look cluttered or overdone, with tsotchkes strewn about everywhere, or artwork floating mid-air on your walls, without a care in the world. it should look stylishly cohesive, and make people want to look closer. you know, draw them in, not flee your house as if you were on hoarders. here’s some lovely little examples of some wonderful gallery collections and collectibles.

2c

skonahem-art

via skona hem.

brown

via hildagrahnat.

boho

via live bohemian.

Comments
40 Responses to “the art of display.”
  1. Helena says:

oh oh oh I love, especially the second one, so pretty!, great ideas!

2. Nashvilledeb says:

Loved the posting of this the art of display. I’m a collector of vintage and art too, but I know that the proper display makes all the difference to the eye. These pics show great, refreshing ideas. Thanks, Victoria!

3. Great Post!! loved the pictures

4. Kira says:

I love that first photo – I’m a sucker for oval and circular frames, but those little oval frames are soooooo nice!

5. Angela says:

I love the fabric in the first photo. Do you know who it’s by or where to get it?

6. lydia says:

I am working very hard on my home right now, I am a hoarder and if I stayed in my ways I would be on the show in about 20 years, but I stopped and hired a pro to help me. I now have a couple of dresser tops with small collections of stuff, I have found bunches of inspiration from your site. ;-) And I will be having a GIANT yard sale this spring and summer.

7. Kate says:

Ah, I just adore spending time here… I love nothing more than a beautiful collection of *things*!

8. Susannah says:

honestly, its like we share the same brain or something :)

9. Kendra Renee says:

I love the Madonna and Saints collection-as an art history geek I’ve spent a lot of time studying painting like these- it’s wonderful to see them come alive in a modern way

10. aemcdraw says:

Very beautiful. I love the collection over the bed. It becomes an extension of the headboard.

11. Miss Isabell says:

I love – LOVE – the one hung with wooden laundry pegs. oh, my heart! I will definitely steal this idea. Thanks so much for posting. :)

12. bridget says:

you find the loveliest things!

13. bettye says:

ahh, there’s nothing like a good grouping!

i’m lusting for the window fabric in the first photo….

14. victoria says:

susannah – separated at birth? ;)

thanks guys – so glad you like it. i love that fabric, too, and i think it may be vintage.

15. christina says:

I came to your blog from Smile and Wave… your love story was so touching it actually got me misty. I have a somewhat unhealthy and co-dependent relationship with my dogs… lol. I never expected them to change my life the way they did.
    Anyhoo, before I start the waterworks again… I just wanted to say that I’m so glad I found your blog TODAY! This post screamed to me because I’m in the process of re-decorating and trying to organize our (hoarders-worthy) collection tchotchkes and small art pieces. This was very inspiring!

Nice to “meet” you :)

16. victoria says:

christina – oh thank you. sorry to have made you sad, though. dogs are the best. :)

thank you so much for coming by! hope to see you back here.

17. tastingsf says:

Thanks for this – I’ve been trying to figure out how to do this in my hallway but I’m too nervous to start hanging stuff up and not get it right!

18. marisa says:

thanks – i needed this to spark a little creativity with my arrangements.

new to your blog. i love it!

19. Ivana says:

It’s definitely a skill, i always love to see examples and hope to develop it myself one day. I’m making shy attempts for now : )

20. Lauren says:

Lovely! I create art and also collect it. I always love to see all of the creative ways that people display their collections. Great post!

21. Tara says:

It is my mission to become this skilled at displaying all of my treasures…

22. thanks for such a fantastic collection of collections!

tastingsf, take some paper and cut it to the size of the frames you want to hang, and tape them gently to the wall. you can rearrange as many times as you want til you find the composition that feels “right” to you. i oftentimes will mark on the template the spot the nail needs to be, and you’ll avoid any extra holes in the wall :)

23. alex says:

lovely! i heart the photos on clothes-pins!

24. What about via Victoria? Yours is fab.

25. nina says:

lovley collection!!!

26. Tif says:

i loved this post! it makes me want to take down everything in the shed and redo. i’m actually rather afraid of adding to my white walls, due to all the fabric, doilies and furniture i have around…. however i have managed a few ‘wall collections’ and it looks ‘fine and dandy’…
    i have to tell you all these inspiring photos ‘do it’ for me, and i especially love Jane’s vase wall from ATLITW. she often takes my breath away with her displays :)

27. Laura says:

Thank you for this post. These pictures are inspiring. My walls are so drab and I have little money for art. Needing to use a little creativity.

28. These are FABULOUS! I love each and every one. Very inspiring!

29. Kelly says:

I love all the ideas for display. Gave me great inspiration for my new place.

30. These are all so inspirational…it is truly an art, isn’t it? And that bed, in the skona hem photo? Yowza! I want my bed to be just like that…..* sigh* :)
    xo
    Melissa

31. Rouenna says:

Love that display of old hardcover books!

32. Jane says:

Thank you, Victoria for adding my pictures to this lovely collection. I am honored! The fabric in the first picture is a vintage curtain. I was lucky enough to find two of them!

33. victoria says:

my pleasure, jane! we are all ooing and ahhing over those curtains! :)

34. lynn-anne says:

thanks so much for including my winter mantle, victoria . . . i am so honored to be included with these other amazingly artful displays . . . they are all beautiful, and i will be borrowing some ideas, too! xlynn-anne

35. Zofía Allan says:

Son excelentes ideas, me encanta.

Trackbacks
Check out what others are saying...
  1. Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by sfgirlbybay: the art of display: http://ow.ly/16mH6

2. […] Tweets about this great post on TwittLink.com […]

3. Your article was most tweeted by Embroidery experts in the Twitterverse…

Come see other top popular articles surfaced by Embroidery experts!…

4. […] interesante de sfgirlbybay. Recorriendo el blog encontré una entrada súper interesante sobre cómo disponer los objetos en el hogar. Tal vez tengas una colección de fotografías, de cuadros o de adornos que te guste mostrar. La […]