black & white & yellow all over.

elle-moss

elle moss.

can this photograph be a kitchen? i hope so, because my new kitchen has those vintage yellow and black tiles, kind of like these (below) with white cabinets and appliances. so i went on the hunt for some inspiration for keeping it clean, bright and not too fussy. i don’t want to get too kitschy, i want it to have a nice contrast between the retro 1930’s tile, and a fresh, modern look. here’s just a few of my ideas.

mark

the 1930’s tiles in my kitchen are a bit more muted or faded from age, but similar to this via markbakerstudios.

1k

i plan to have my little white knoll tulip table in the kitchen nook, like this cute kitchen from the domino deco files (above & below), and i think i’ll paint my bentwood cafe chairs black to put around the table.

bentwood

emma

perhaps some black & white pieces to accessorize with, like these tiles from emma’s design blog, and fresh lemons are always a nice smelling idea.

lemons

4145859904_f66b1e208d_o copy

i want to play up the black & white, like these kitchens via door sixteen, and emma’s design blog, and i’d like some black & white tea towels like this one (below) from skinny laminx.

emma2

skinny

kraken

perhaps some Cathrineholm pots, like these via krakencrafts.

candi

i like these clean counter tops, and bertoia chairs are a nice option too, via candimandi.

vintage-love

i’ll no doubt need some fun vintage yellow ceramic serving pieces, like these via vintage-love, and perhaps some cheerful artwork, like this ‘death cab for cutie’ print from the small stakes.

cutie

Comments
30 Responses to “black & white & yellow all over.”
  1. carlee says:

love your inspiration. i have a yellow tea pot that i adore. such cheerful images!

2. Ren says:

Love it- Yellow is and has always been my favorite color- Sunnyside up yellow is the best!

3. janis says:

I’m jealous… I’m so ready to move and decorate a new space. Guess I’ll have to do it through you vicariously for a while :^)

Love the design direction you’re moving in – love the fresh colors too…

4. victoria says:

thanks guys! the tile is not as ‘vivid’ as this, and there’s an old white gas stove, so i think it will look pretty cute. i’m excited for the new decorating challenge.

i’m trying not to buy too much new, but re-invent some of my old stuff with paint, etc. like the bentwood chairs painted black! :)

5. Courtney says:

I love the lemons and the print on the tea towl! Such a happy post!

designsketchbook.blogspot.com

6. colors after my own heart. I’ve been so inspired by this combination lately. love it!

7. Linda says:

Aah what a lovely post. We just recently painted our kitchen a butter yellow (from baby blue), and couldn’t be happier with the color choice. So fresh and inspiring to cook in. We went with yellow/ white/ chocolate brown theme.

8. Paula says:

I love the yellow pots. I feel like you can’t never go wrong with yellow, green or red accent in the kitchen, because they really reflects the myriads of fruits and vegetables of those colors. (The kitchen is all about food)

9. Lulu says:

i definitely think the butterflies in the dress would look great in a kitchen like that! like, black butterflies on something in the kitchen. maybe a butterfly print or something! hmm…okay now i’m just brainstorming for MY house. =P i think your kitchen looks (will look?) lovely!!

10. Tonia says:

I love yellow in a home, sadly the husband does not. And sadly, he is too observant for me to sneak it in! Yours ideas sound great – good luck with the move and decorating!

11. Nashvilledeb says:

I have a white kitchen and the floor is covered with large stone tiles in black and white. As accents, I use vintage accessories in red and yellow. You will love your white kitchen. When you clean it, it looks bright, fresh and CLEAN!

12. Charlotte says:

Looks lovely – only wish I wasn’t temporarily renting so I could take inspiration too!

Love those spice tin magnets in the third from bottom pic!

Charlotte xx

13. I always love your style! Decorate on!

14. Kate says:

oh, these colors make me swoon! I especially love the Cathrineholm pots.

15. Kelly says:

It’s gonna look wonderful, I can already tell. For myself, it would be hard to reign in my impulse to go ’50s cottage kitsch with the the yellow. In my previous home, we had faded yellow tile counters and I had a lot of red accents — lot of vintage containers, tea towels, etc. Your inspirations are a lot more clean & modern. Love!

16. nichole says:

I’ve been obsessed with black, white and yellow lately. You just gave me a nice fix. :)

17. beth says:

love, love, love it! i have been wanting a kitchen that looks a lot like this one with all the yellow and white. my kitchen now is in a craftsman style home and we went with dark granite, whitewashed/aged wood and black appls. kinda dark. this is great inspiration and hopefully one day I will get my bright and sunny kitchen.

18. Natira says:

Great finds for inspiration! I’ve always loved the yellow, black, white combination. How exciting!

19. Lauren says:

This is going to be one good-lookin’ kitchen! I can’t wait to see the results.

20. andrea nina says:

i have been feeling this color story lately. must be the change in weather ;)

21. I absolutely adore this color combo!! It’s so cute!

22. I love all the yellow accents with the black & white. It looks beautiful!

-FringeGirl

23. deborah says:

Send me a pic of your backsplash. I’d love to toss some tile ideas to you based on your ideas and color focus!

24. victoria says:

will do deboorah – and eeek! i’ve just discovered it’s yellow and BURGUNDY RED – not black, so I want to paint the burgandy tile black, or white. it’s just the trim.

25. jane says:

Oh what a pretty kitchen! I painted my kitchen yellow last year, but am still tweaking things, so thanks for the inspiration. I love the color—so happy. :) If you want to buy a little something, there are really sweet little Liberty of London picture frames in black & white at Target. Can’t wait to see the “after” pics.

26. Brandi says:

Yellow is my perfect spring color. Years ago, we weren’t friends, but since then we’ve grown quite attached. I’m not sure what it is exactly, but she keeps sneaking her way into my life.

27. Deborah says:

hmmm…burgundy red. Well, it’s a bit of a trick to paint ceramics- kind of like painting glass. But I’m sure you know that. The tile Doc is in- so send your pic’s and I’ll try to come up with some help with your burgundy to black issue. Just a symptom for now!

28. victoria says:

pictures are forthcoming deborah! :)

29. Allison says:

I have a kitchen very similar, only it has octagon yellow and black tiles…I’ve been trying to figure out how to decorate, and manage my space…I’d love to see what your kitchen looks like.