this time, let’s ‘pin it forward’!
as i’ve been saying in my last few teaser posts, i’ve been introduced to some great new software that allows you to bookmark your favorites images on the web, and keep them in a beautiful gallery for easy visual reference, and link back to the original source! and, now you are going to get to use it, too!
a sample of one of my pinboards.
i’m happy to introduce and welcome you to Pinterest! and, we’re going to invite you all to join the free membership, when you sign-up to participate in our new pin it forward blogger mashup! pinterest is a visual bookmarking site, where you can save images you find while browsing the web and organize them into collections, called pinboards. you can create pinboards on everything, from vintage ceramics, to home decorating ideas, photographs, to your favorite chairs or even a recipe.
here’s a look at a few of my pinboards.
Pinterest is also social. Just like twitter, you can ‘follow’ people whose taste you admire, and you can ‘repin’ anything you see. You’ll automatically credit both both the original source of the image, and the person who first pinned it. Lots of creative people and bloggers use Pinterest to not only save images, but to get inspired by the amazing things pinned by people they admire.
various pinboards from other Pinterest members i follow.
so, back to the all the important details on pin it forward. here’s how it works!
• our theme this time is an inspiration board, or pinboard on “what home means to you”. that could mean home furnishings, pets, collections, family – what ever is unique to you as a person, and means home to you.
• Pinterest has created a simple a google sign-up spreadsheet for you to sign up for this pin it forward mashup. you can sign-up for any available date of your choice here. we’ll keep the sign-up open until all spaces are filled (please do it soon — they fill up fast and it’s first come, first serve), and it will close for sign-ups by May 19th, or when all slots are filled.
• important: to sign up scroll down and press the edit button, and add your name, email address, blog URL and twitter name (if you’ve got one) to an open slot.
• in a few days, you will receive an invitation by email to join pinterest. join and check it out! play around and get familiar with pinterest. it’s your new membership to do what you like with it – it’s not just for pin it forward! it’s our gift to you, just for joining in, so pin away and create all the pinboards you like!
• when the sign-up process is complete, on may 24th, we’ll list all the participants on a dedicated pin it forward page on sfgirlbybay with your blog link and the date you’re scheduled to post, so anyone can follow along.
• talented designer steve mcgaughey has graciously designed a cool badge for us (in various sizes) that you can include on your blog if you like, and link back to the pin it forward page on my blog with the schedule (once we post it on may 24th). you can download the badges right here.
HOW IT WILL WORK:
• 10 bloggers will start sharing the common theme ‘what is home to you’ on monday, may 24th.
• the name of your pinboard should be pin it forward – that way we’re all sure to find it easily.
• 10 bloggers will share every day, according to the schedule. and also, very importantly, in your blog post, you will link to the next blogger on the schedule, and link back to the blogger that preceded you, as well — in other words, pin it forward! just as we did with blog it forward.
and i’ll be posting again on monday, may 17th to let you know who the first bloggers are and any last minute instructions, and an example of what a pinboard and your blog post might look like.
have fun, and pin it forward! xo,