pin it forward – some guidelines.

i’m getting excited to see everyone’s pin it forward pinboards on pinterest, as well as their companion blog posts! just to help clarify things a little, i thought a visual example would best help you better envision what we’re up to. so i’ve done a little sample post about our theme, ‘what home means to me’, in the post below this one.

so, first up, i’ve created a pinboard on pinterest of ‘what home means to me’ (above). here’s a screen grab, but you can see my sample pin it forward pinboard live, right here.

• basically, i’ve downloaded and installed the pinterest software to my computer, and added the ‘pin it’ feature to my toolbar. which is super simple, even for tech-challenged me! then, when i find something i like on the web, i click the ‘pin it’ icon in my toolbar, and then click the image. a window pops up and i fill in the info i want to save about the image, tags and click the blue ‘pin it’ button in the pop up box.

• it automatically saves my pinned images on the web to my pinterest pinboard – easy!

• now, to share my pin it forward pinboard with the rest of you readers, i’ve created an interpretation of my pinboard (see post below) here on my blog. and, i’ve linked it back to my original pinboard on pinterest. that’s all you do! i did this in photoshop, but you don’t have to get fancy, you can simply share your images as you normally would in a blog post. you can share some, or all — it’s up to you!

that’s it! i hope this makes pin it forward much clearer to you all! you’ll all be receiving your pinterest invites within a few days! i will introduce the beginning bloggers to you on wednesday, and lay out a few simple rules of etiquette. until, then start thinking about ‘what homes means to you’. i can’t wait to see!

Comments
14 Responses to “pin it forward – some guidelines.”
  1. Pinar says:

I also want to sign up to pinterest but they’ve got me on the waiting list. I’ve been waiting for 6 days, they still haven’t send me a invitation. =((

2. victoria says:

all invitations will be sent out within the week – don’t worry – they had over 300 to send, so it’s just taking some time.

3. Tricia Rose says:

Yes, each time I tried the site seemed to be jammed… might have missed the boat : (

4. Ben says:

Hey Pinar and Tricia – We’re going to be sending out invites today and tomorrow. We’re excited to have you try it out soon.

5. Lecia says:

This looks like a great project – I’d love to participate.

6. victoria says:

lecia – there is a waiting list, but i’m sure ben will send you a invite to pinterest if you like! hopefully, i can fit you into ‘pin it forward’ i’m going over the drop out and waiting list today. :)

7. Roxanne says:

Ooo I just got my invite! I have a feeling I’ll be spending a while on here. Resistence is futile.

8. Jamie says:

I just got my invitation and LOVE it!!! It is an extremely simple process, and I can’t wait to share and see.

9. Cajeta says:

i’m very curious about why you can’t just sign up? why is there an “invitation process”?

10. victoria says:

cajeta – pinterest has been in beta-testing until now, with limited users testing the waters. we decided to try a launch here, to introduce new users to their site. they were just making sure the site was running well before a public launch.

i’m sure ben would be happy to send you an invitation if you like. if you’d like one, you can write to ben at hi@pinterest.com

thanks!

11. Tazim says:

I am looking forward to the first group’s posts to see how they display the ‘pins’! Your sample posts have been helpful, too.

12. Q says:

Cool idea! I would love to participate.

13. victoria says:

Q – it filled up really fast, but you can add your name to the waiting list here, if you like! http://pinterest.com/about/pinitforward/

14. Evita says:

I got my invite and am really loving the site.