guest post: yellowtrace.

Hello everyone! My name is Dana and I am an interior designer who lives and works in Sydney, Australia. I nearly fell of my chair with excitement when Victoria asked me if I would be interested in doing a guest post on her beautiful blog. My response was something along the lines of – “Are you kidding me?! I would be absolutely honoured!” So here we are.

Apart from being an interior designer and a wife to the most amazing person in the world, I also write a blog called yellowtrace, which is a little online space where I share my love for great design and clever people. I am passionate about celebrating good design in all it’s forms – my mission is to share as much as possible by showcasing established and emerging talent in the areas of interiors, architecture, art, fashion, photography, lifestyle and anything else that is worth knowing about.

Lights, trays & side tables by barnabeifreeman.

Today’s post is about my love of lace and lace motifs. I’m finding that, as I get older, my taste is really starting to reflect my heritage {I was born and raised in former Yugoslavia before my family settled in Australia after the civil war}. I’m really drawn to the patterns, textures and materials synonymous with the place where I grew up, and this is becoming a lot more prominent as I get older. Hence this little tribute to lace and doilies. Go nanna chic!

Vixen “Vintage Lace” & barnabeibreeman “Folk” rugs from Designer Rugs.

Strangely enough – my home and my work are almost entirely devoid of lace. But I still really love it, and a few little pieces that I’ve inherited from my family are becoming more precious to me every day. x dana

Art by the Portuguese artist Joana Vasconcelos via busy being fabulous.

“A World Wide Web” and “The 26,000″ Installations by Shane Walter.

Every household needs one of these babies! Lace shovel via NY Times.

paper curtains via all the mountains.

Doily Clocks by andfurthermore on etsy.

Fences never looked so good – Lace Fence via Jodeska.

Stencil art via designboom.

doily envelopes via daydream lily.

“Embroidery” and “Wild Boys” by Sandrine Pelletier.

hand-carved doily stamp via geninne’s.

Covered sea stones via knitalatte11.

adorable vintage linen & lace cushions from tuuni on etsy.

“Munus” Acrylic on canvas artworks by Australian artist Faridah Cameron.

‘Eternal Lace’ by Laura Anne Marsden. These pieces are created using waste plastic bags, transforming the discarded into the desirable. Love!

Gladys light range from bsweden {limited range available in Australia through Funkis}.

Crochet Chair by Marcel Wonders for droog.

Stop sign by Aakash Nihalani, via design for mankind.

Comments
40 Responses to “guest post: yellowtrace.”
  1. GORGEOUS!!! what an amazing collection of stuff! oh so inspiring.

2. thank you..all the images are so inspiring..you just made me feel so happy deep down to my toes!

3. Junia says:

Wow! Beautiful post! I’m definitely feeling the love of lace coming through my veins as I scroll through each image you’ve shared! You might take a liking to this wedding dress then http://100layercake.com/blog/archives/6562 made entirely of doilies. Amazing! Loved your post :)

4. Maritess says:

Doily heaven!

5. Natalie says:

Love the lace motif myself. Its hard to avoid making it look too Grandma-y. I like the edgy samples you picked with just the right amount of sweetness.

6. honeydonthink says:

I’m not usually a lace person but thanks for your refreshing take on it – I must have one of those shovels!

7. Aw, Dana, this post is so feminine and elegant, it makes me want to bring to my home as much lace as I can (although my husband might not like it haha). darling pictures! xoxo

8. Piper says:

gorgeous post – love those pillows!! and the lace rugs are so refreshingly different – love them!!

9. Victoria, what a beautiful post & such a gorgeous collection of finds… I too, as I grow older & further away (culturally & lifestyle wise) from my home country (Poland), notice that I am more and more drawn to this country’s traditional design, specifically folklore art – papercuts and vintage hand crocheted lace. I recently purchased several pieces of old handmade lace I am going to frame and exhibit in my creative space. This post made me realize just how much lace and papercuts have in common! Thank you for this visual realization :-)

10. victoria says:

ania – this is dana from yellowtrace’s beautiful guest post – i cannot take credit!!

all of the guest bloggers are making me look bad – such inspirational posts!!

11. jodi says:

what an amazing post! i love everything! such great, modern takes on lace.

12. lesley says:

i am obsessed with lace too, so this post is just ridiculously amazing. the piano is a longtime fave, and the lace fences are just out of control. love!

13. Clare says:

I ADORE lace motifs. The fences and piano are amazing, but so are the envelopes, spades, clocks… My inspiration folder just got a lot fuller

14. Katarina says:

Oh, how nice to know that you are born in my country:)
    I am a huge fan of M.Wonders work and always so glad to see his work featured!!! Hope that you will be posting as well soon about The Powerhouse Museum International Lace Award once they choose the participants:)))
    xoxo

15. Linda says:

Wonderful post Dana, thank you for your beautiful
    collection of inspiration. + The lace fences are stunning!

16. What a great post – I’m so impressed.

17. Amie says:

I loved pretty much everything that was in there. Doilies!

18. My goodness, what a wonderful collection of granny-chic lace and doilies. It just didn’t stop!!! Loved the rugs.

19. EB says:

I absolutely love your inspirations!!!

20. Bobbi says:

I love to see traditional crafts used in non-traditional ways. That spider web would be much welcomed in my backyard.

21. Wowee! Thank you so much everyone for your wonderful comments. I never knew there were so many lace and doily fans out there just like me ;)
    Thanks again Victoria for having me. I hope you are having a brilliant staycation.
    x dana

22. mlle paradis says:

thanks for a wonderful rocking-the-lace guest post! really nice choices!

23. Beautiful post! For some reason I’m just smitten with the lace shovels.
    XO Piper

24. margie oomen says:

i love every little lacy bit of this post
    thanks so much for including my crochet covered stones

25. Kelly says:

Wow, I love lace!! The lace fence is so inspiring!!

<3 Kelly
    sourtang.com

26. never knew i needed a doily covered piano, until now!

27. Mandy says:

that is a fantastic collection you’ve put together.
    lace isn’t just lace anymore!
    love it.

28. Wow!! amazing photos – lace is truly an art form in itself!
    (now I must head over to your blog, haven’t been there yet)

29. ania says:

Victoria – thanks for correcting! :-)

30. Noni says:

I come form Greece, which has so many common traditional habits with Yougoslavia!!! I have also been working for a lingerie company for 6,5 years, which made me adore even more lace, tulle and evrythig of that kind. This post speaks in my heart, is my style and the phots you always select as so perfect! This is also art, design and inspiration for me! so beutiful!!!

31. follyandglee says:

BRilliant. I love that you found so many contemporary uses for lace – that fence is amazing. I also love that you call it “nana” chic and I’d like to adopt that for my lampshades.

32. What heavenly inspiration! I love the rugs so much! I wish I could have one for the apartment we are going to rent in Copenhagen. The rest of the house has beautiful, original wood floors, but the kitchen is going to need a rug! I guess we cannot have it all, right?

33. jokemijn says:

beautiful collection!

34. hildA says:

great post … enjoyed it very much. thanks.

35. The fence is amazingly gorgeous!

36. wow….as usual you stun and enlighten dear Dana! These are absolutely fantastic and I am SO with you! I adore lace and want more and more in my home! :)
    xo
    Melis

37. OMG I love, love, love this post !
    It is so wonderfully inspiring,
    Thank you!
    ( You may want to check out the ceramic crochet lace vase posted on May 31 on my site, in the same genre )

38. iHanna says:

It is funny how lace is so beautiful and sheer even as metal or furniture. Thanks for sharing all this loveliness in just one post!

39. what a neat post – so many interesting (and pretty!) examples of lace. :)

40. kendell says:

Thank you for sharing the above post, I also love lace and these are wonderful examples of what can be done with lace. Kindest regards