vintage finds for a modern world: mirror, mirror on the wall.

i love the look of vintage mirrors, even when the glass is old and distressed and my reflection is a little off (sometimes, that’s a good thing!). i saw this photograph that one of my favorite artists, sandra juto took (above) and it gave me the idea to share with you some decorating ideas using beautiful antique mirrors. mirrors are wonderful for making a room look larger, adding depth and reflecting light and shapes. here’s a peek.

emma’s design blog.

anthropologie.

design*sponge.

little bits of lovely.

sfgirlbybay.

the selby.

style me pretty.

ida.

sarah klassen.

sfgirlbybay.

lonny.

house of turquoise.

remodelista.

Comments
27 Responses to “vintage finds for a modern world: mirror, mirror on the wall.”
  1. laura says:

i love love love your “theme” posts (window sill yesterday and today mirrors). very clever and beautiful. and! i love how the photographs are really big. it is a joy to come to your website.

2. Ms. P & C says:

Lovely! I have a big thing for mirrors – they make all the difference when it comes to awkward spaces!

I love the one from Style Me Pretty – the chicken wire over the mirror makes it a totally unique and vintage/industrial style bulletin board. But it still reflects light! Fabulous idea…

3. These ideas are all absolutely gorgeous – thanks for sharing, can’t wait to recreate one in my home. And perfect timing too, I’m going antiquing this Saturday! Thanks again, Jennie B

4. chrissa says:

I LOOOVE this blog!! I mean, everything about it!

I have a mirror almost identical to the first one, but um, I painted it light turquoise. Which so far has gotten me more than a few, “No, you Din’t!”

5. Lindsey says:

We are totally on the hunt for beautiful mirrors for our next house. I think a beautifully framed mirror to replace a plain old bathroom mirror can really elevate a space.

Gorgeous collection. That last one is to die for.

6. victoria says:

thanks y’all! i’m glad you like these as much as i do. i have mirrors all over the house – i love when they reflect the outside back in, too!

7. Alessandra says:

Sandra Juto is the best!! Fell in love with the mirror on the last picture, for a second i confused it with a door!

8. Cynnie says:

ahhhh toooo gorgeous…especially the very last huge mirror……….ah I need one for my foyer!!

9. Stacey says:

I love mirrors-they can do so much for an interior, especially if they’re strategically place to reflect say a collage of pictures, a beautiful light fixture, a vignet, or like you said; the outdoors. Lovely post!

10. Linz says:

i LOVE this post. i am a huge fan of vintage mirrors. i think they go a LONG way of defining a room.

11. Shelly says:

Love the post…and the pics! Painting my bath right now, lots of great ideas to try!

12. tammy says:

wow. you always find the loveliest images. i hardly have any mirrors at all besides on the dresser & in the bathrooms. a great & affordable idea to spruce up a room.

13. Katie says:

Great post. Love the collection from anthropologie, the one with the chicken wire, and well, several others. Now to find such mirrors for cheap!

14. so very pretty! love this post!

15. Evita says:

These are all so lovely and I’m particularly fond of the selby image and the one by sarah klassen!

16. love vintage mirrors, big time. i love the images with collections grouped together, looks so cool. i found an example too the other week that flipped my lid: http://thediversionproject.blogspot.com/2010/07/hard-to-say-no.html

snd i just loved that image from sarah, so cool.

17. kelly ann says:

gorgeous, gorgeous photos!

18. Old-looking mirrors are such a pretty accent to any room! :)

19. wow there sure is some eye candy there ;-)

last shot rocks

sarah

20. I love these. I have a some old, gilded mirrors in my home and I adore them.

Thanks for sharing!

21. Augusta says:

Mirror mirror on the wall whos got the fairest home of them all ;) love the one whith the bed most of them all.

22. Lana says:

I love this post ~ and old, tarnished mirrors! I have several on my walls, and I’ll admit I have several more to hang whenever I can find the time and space.

23. Vebosh says:

niiiiiiiiiiiiiice i love this post… mirrors helps a lot to create spaces!!! and the frames are just marvelous!!

24. Neaner says:

Who doesn’t love a vintage mirror or two?! That last photo from Remodelista is especially inspiring. I love how you can see the modern light fixture in the mirror’s reflection and the vintage accessories in the same shot. Really proves that mixing styles and eras can be done successfully and that using vintage items in home decor doesn’t necessarily mean you have to adhere to a shabby chic style.

25. These are some very beautiful pictures. I am glad you stuck with the theme of the post. Thanks for sharing.

26. Anna says:

Get me to a vintage fair…. and make it snappy!
    leedsgirlnextdoor.blogspot.com

27. chair says:

it is really interesting how these mirrors can really change the look of the room. thanks for sharing.