guest post: katey joy goes to mexico.

I think some of you know my trusty assistant, katey joy, from previous posts, but katey joy recently took a trip to mexico, and i just had to have her share her colorful photographs from her amazing (solo!) trip south of the border.

I just got back from Mexico and I still can’t get over it! My first day I was in San Miguel Allende, which you’ve probably heard about as the ex-pat artist town featured in “House Hunters International” on HGTV or Sunset magazine.

I was prepared for an onslaught of gringolandia: cafes full of old white guys complaining loudly how hard it is to get the latest Harpers or New Yorker, for example. Actually, San Miguel was a really pleasant Mexican town and I would recommend anyone to go there! One striking thing about the town is that, contrary to the usual Mexican habit of painting houses crazy contrasting colors, all of central San Miguel is painted a warm red-orange-yellow color scheme. I think i found a wall where someone was testing out their potential palette. Creates a striking effect, but not quite what makes my heart sing, “Mexico Lindo y Querido”. I prefer the style best described as  “makes your eyes freak out” with color! That’s where Guanajuato comes in:

This beautiful colonial town, just a few hours from San Miguel Allende, is located in the central highlands north of Mexico City. It was easy to spend days getting lost in the labyrinth of  steep callejones (alleyways) that make up the mostly car-free city center. There, you find the most impossible color combinations:

I put some photos from my trip on the pin board over my desk to remind me to mix-it-up! of course, the vibrant colors of Mexico aren’t just reserved for their exterior architecture. pretty much everything, from their traditional dress, to crafts, and ceramics are vibrantly over-saturated!

Needless to say, a Mexico trip was the perfect antidote for the gray-and-foggy monotony of San Francisco summer! I hope these colors have brightened up your summer day. thanks, katey joy

(you can see more from Katey joy’s trip on her Flickr page!).

Comments
34 Responses to “guest post: katey joy goes to mexico.”
  1. Will says:

Oh my goodness – all the colours…what an inspiration.

2. OMG! Now these are some really hot colors, so much Latino! love love love these pictures!

3. Signe says:

What lovely colorful pictures <3

4. kate says:

alejibres!!!!
    what amazing colors.

5. Bobbi says:

stunning! your pictures capture Mexico beautifully. I love that floral fabric.

6. these photographs are all kinds of awesome!!! LOVE them.

i juste returned from a mexico-trip with my family… so these vivid colors bring sweet memories and make me sigh!

7. Lisa says:

Love the color. So vibrant and especially love the little critters in the last photo. I have a collection from when I use to travel down through Tijuana and Ensenada often.

8. Heather says:

I love all the vibrant colors. I had a teacher who used to talk fondly about living south of the border and how wonderful it was to use color as self-expression.

9. jodi says:

such wonderful photos. love all the colors so much!

10. I want to go to there…now! I wish more people in the States would embrace bolder color choices for the exteriors of their homes. It would just make life that much better!

11. *gemmifer* says:

Beautiful photographs! And kudos to Katey for traveling solo!

12. Catherine says:

What lovely photographs! I cannot get over how colorful this city is – unbelievable.

13. abby says:

I adore this post!
    Thanks for sharing your trip with us, Katey.

14. What a beautiful and colorful place!

15. Thanks for sharing your trip! That first photo had me..love that shot!

16. Ryan says:

so much beautiful color, great photos!

17. christine says:

gorgeous gorgeous GORGEOUS!!

18. Ms. P & C says:

So gorgeous! This post made my morning! Thank you!

19. honeydonthink says:

Thanks so much for bringing the sunshine and color of Mexico to foggy Northern California this summer. Beautiful photos that only affirm my desire to visit San Miguel. Till now, I too was worried it was “too Anglo” and full of retired ex-pats! Love the way you write too:-)

20. sally says:

all the bright, beautiful color is one of the main reasons i am attracted to mexican crafts and decor. my apt is slowly filling with them! thanks for sharing your pics!

21. Suzanna S says:

These are stunning! I am currently coveting a wedding in Mexico, and this only makes me want to wed there more! Thanks for posting!

22. Sara Kate says:

Oh this makes my heart so happy! My family is from Guanajuato (well, west of there, if we want to get technical), and I’ve always thought it was one of the most beautiful places in Mexico. Thanks so much for sharing Katey’s photos!

23. nichole says:

Unreal! This post really did brighten my day.

24. I was born in Guanajuato, and used to go to San Miguel during the weekends, it’s a wonderful town, and it makes me very happy to see that Americans appreciate the beauty of Mexico.
    By the way, there’s an amazing italian restaurant called La tratoria, owned by a Italian expat,I highly recommend it, just ask for it, people will give directions.
    Thank you for this post, it made me remember my hometown!

25. victoria says:

so happy to see how much y’all enjoyed katey joy’s post! i love these images so much, so it was a pleasure to share. plus, katey rocks! :)

26. artsylee says:

Que color! I love it!

27. the colours are absolutely stunning, thank you for the lovely post :)

28. rubi says:

que lindo que te guste mi paìs!!! tu blog me encanta!

29. Alicia says:

great blog! I live in Monterrey Mexico, and houses dont use much brilliant colors like in other states, I went once to Guanajuato and ahh is a beautiful, calm place =)

30. Stephanie says:

I am headed there oct 29th!!!

thanks for the preview!!

31. Brenda says:

Mi país es en verdad muy colorido y bello, tan bello como tus photos. Nice pictures and beatiful blog.

32. Zsara says:

I went to Mexico this summer – and although I didn’t see that town I fell in love with all the colour. From their houses to their food it made SUCH a change from the grey and dreary London! Beautiful Post!
    I’m on the look out for new places to travel to – if you have any please email me or check out my blog! Thank you :)

33. i LOVE colour and these pics are just yummy! have to get to Mexico from africa real soon. Frida ‘s world!

34. Hello. Great post!. Great and inspiring pictures. I lived in Cancun for two years. From there, I travelled around Mexico looking for inspirations as well as local silver artisans. The colors you see there are maravelous. Thanks and regards.

ps: I have pinned one of your pictures and have also shared (adding your name) in my facebook profile.

Gabriela Basso