good reads: the blue chair jam cookbook.

you might not know this about me, but i love to cook, and so i thought i’d share with you a new cookbook i just heard about. food stylist katie christ shared it with me over the weekend we were in sonoma, and i just had to order it. it’s called the blue chair jam cookbook and it’s all about making preserves, jams and jellies — something our grandmothers probably did more of than we do, but it’s making a huge comeback.

i’m a tad obsessed with this idea lately, but intimidated, too. i’ve never canned or made preserves in my life, but i am assured the blue chair jam cookbook will help me overcome my fears. not to mention it’s so beautifully styled and photographed. it’s a coffee table book for certain, and one that i think will inspire even the most timid chef. written by rachel saunders, with over 120 recipes and step-by-step how to’s on making jellies, jams and marmalades you can order the the blue chair jam cookbook here.

Comments
12 Responses to “good reads: the blue chair jam cookbook.”
  1. Tanya says:

Oh I’ve been thinking about making jams too, but the have never done it. This might just be the cure.

2. Brandi says:

I saw this one in some store (was it Anthropologie? Terrain? Extraordinary Desserts?) a few weeks ago and was captivated by the beautiful photographs and amazing recipes. Thanks for reminding me about it — it’s going on my Christmas wishlist, and once I get my hands on it, there will be some serious jamming in my home.

3. Carolyn says:

My mom goes on a jamming spree about once a year and makes amazing jams: raspberry, blackberry, etc. They are delicious and even though I’ve never jammed myself, I recommend homemade preserves for sure!

4. mlleparadis says:

oh yes! you haven’t tasted jam if you haven’t had homemade!

5. nichole says:

Oh man! You read my mind. I’ve been poking around for a good book on jam and here you go posting about it. Thanks!

I make homemade blackberry jam by simply simmer two pints of blackberries for about 1/2 hour and adding sugar. The perfect topping for fresh biscuits.

But I need some more recipes.

6. Ancarol says:

looking very cool to make jams Especial Wi may take time to try it and the book

7. Ancarol says:

Looking very cool to make jams Especial when i look the shot They’re tempt to learn …..

8. Ooh, we are so glad you are excited about jamming, and you’ll have to let us know how your jam-making endeavors go! If you have weekend time we hope you can come by one of our farmers’ markets and we’ll talk jam — we’ll be at the Noe Valley market on Saturday November 20. Thanks again!

9. victoria says:

oh cool! that’s right in my neighborhood! i will come by and say hi! thank you for creating such a beautiful cookbook!

10. erica says:

The cover of that book alone is enough to make me want to stock up on jam jars and get at it!

11. Sam says:

I have this book and it’s really the only jam book I need. Plus, the writer of the book is a bay area local and her jams are really yummy :)

12. Marie-Eve says:

I bought this book 2 or 3 weeks ago and it is full of inspiration for my bakery. And it is very beautiful and well explicated. It was a surprise, when I received it, to see it was this huge! I highly recommand it.