designlovefest | spaces.

This week I decided to give you a peek inside my Silver Lake craftsman home. I always enjoy looking at other creative’s work areas, so I thought I would show you where I spend most of my time and give you some tips for decorating your own creative space.

DesignLoveFest’s Top Tips for a Too-Cool-for-School Workspace:

1. Think of your desk and chair as a married couple; they shouldn’t match but rather should complement each other. I’ve paired a mid-century chair in a natty check with an industrial table for a look that’s part 1960’s doctor’s office and part 1930’s lumber mill.

2. Come up with a mantra and keep it in mind when decorating. My work explores the space in which ‘type and images totally make out’, so naturally I have a mix of favorite photos, illustration and typography posted above my monitor.

3. Don’t underestimate the power of a personally meaningful quotation to motivate. When you’re down it will start you up again, and when you’re already up it will keep your engine revved. My favorite Lewis Carroll quotation on the power of imagination gets me every time.

4. Determine your best organizational tools and keep them at your fingertips. I am a bit of a obsessive list-maker, so we painted the wall with chalkboard paint and I write my to-do’s on it. Of course chalkboard walls aren’t for everyone — a snazzy notebook also does the trick!

get the look of my workspace with these pieces:
1. “i love you because” poster 2. metal letter 3. 1970’s desk chair 4. Feather Power print by Mati Rose 5. Lewis Carroll quote card 6. Ray Fenwick Postcard Book.

until next week!
bri from designlovefest

Comments
16 Responses to “designlovefest | spaces.”
  1. BEAUTIFUL space! I love it all!

2. ashlina says:

i recognize this space. gorgeous! love this!

3. Will says:

Such a super talent. Consider this little chap inspired.

4. Amy says:

Great post. I SO need to update my workspace.

5. I really like the chalk board/message board behind your computer desk.I could really use something like that here at our studio.Very organized!

6. Love your office space Bri! It 100% represents you :)

7. victoria says:

I love Bri’s space, too! I can see how she finds so much inspiration there. Thanks, Bri!

8. This is gorgeous! I love the chalkboard wall and the Native American print.

9. the ‘i love you because ……’ sign is so sweet for there are so many reasons to complete the sign!

10. tressie says:

so pretty, so organized and inspirational…in my own workroom, everyday I say, “Tressie, tidy up”…so sweeping counts, right?
    ;-)

11. i LOVE it!!! very inspiring, can i come for a visit? haha

12. oooh, i LOVE this workspace! totally inspiring!

13. erin says:

I want to come visit!

14. Great workspace! I love what you said about the desk and the chair- makes a lot of sense to me!

15. Cara-Mia says:

I love this! So inspiring! Just one question: Did you nail the metal clamps to the wall??

16. Bri Emery says:

thanks so much! i just used little yellow pushpins! and just hung the metal clamps on those!