my love for you…

hello everyone! it’s meighan from ml4u. this week i got a bit of a terrarium bug! they’ve been the rage for awhile, and i’ll admit i have totally bought into the little microcosm eco-world. i have always wanted to make one, but never found the time. so over the weekend my good friend, rae and i took a terrarium workshop class at workshop. it was all rae’s idea, and i am so glad she signed me up. it was so much fun and surprisingly calming and easy! i am fully addicted to making terrariums now, full stop. if you aren’t in the bay area and can’t make it to workshop. here are a bunch of images and links to help you with your terrarium needs. along with my final product. also, if you know of other faves, feel free to comment!

the botany factory offers terrariums at a few stores in san francisco or you can commission and pick it up yourself. katie goldman macdonald takes such special care in making her terrariums they look like little worlds unto themselves.

i like the idea of a family of terrariums. they come in so many different sizes. the slug & the squirrel has an amazing array of all types of terrariums. you could probably find one for everyone you know. the glass they choose to work with is really lovely and has such character, from vintage to modern. each one has such a great look.

the ladies who run twig terrariums have such a sense of humor and mischief with their work. i hope to get to see them next time i am in brooklyn, if not i may have to mail order a kit. too fun and a great gift to boot!

wendilands minimalist terrarium kits are both beautiful and pretty funny. perfect for your black thumb and ‘serenity now’ moments.

paula hayes living art pieces are so amazing to me. i really love that she has brought the terrarium into the galley space. her pieces are truly living beauties. be sure to explore her whole site — she brings plants to a whole new level.

and lastly, i want to share my little guy. mattie and megan of far out flora, who taught the class at workshop definitely ignited a new passion for me. so excited to explore more terrarium building endeavors in the future!

i hope you all have a lovely holiday season. until the new year you can find me over on tumblr, twitter and facebook. also i’ll be posting back on ML4U starting january 3rd. see you there or here and until then, be well!

best.
meighan

my love for you is a stampede of horses.
////////\\\\\\\\///////\\\\\\\\////////\\\\\\\\///////\\\\\\\\

Comments
25 Responses to “my love for you…”
  1. so cool! i’d love to learn how to make one of those… i especially love the ones with the teeny-tiny little people!

2. I looooove terrariums. I made my first this week – made a couple for Christmas gifts and I am totally hooked now! I want to make hundreds! :)

3. eva.lu says:

I made some for gifts as well. They aren’t nearly as complex and cool as the ones posted here , but hey it was my first time. The mossy ones are beautiful and will definitely be included in my next attempt!

4. Katie says:

ohh i love all of these! i really want to make one.

5. tammy says:

these terrariums are amazing! yours is so lovely, too. a class would be so fun.

6. meighan says:

Glad you guys like them, but really what’s not to like? Tiny little green worlds right in your home! THE BEST. ;) I encourage you all to make one…they are really easy & very fun & relaxing to make, plus you get such a wonderful outcome!

7. Aura says:

I love these. There is a little local boutique here in town that carries all sorts of interesting vases and glass to house flowers and plants in. I have purchased quite a few over the last year she’s been open. I posted a few on my blog recently, take a peek if you’re interested, Victoria.

8. Andreia says:

Beautiful terraniums! Thanks for sharing! It’s the first time I visit your lovely blog. I’ll come back for sure! Happy Holidays!

9. Megan says:

Hurray for terrariums! Glad you had fun at class :)

10. Roxana says:

Terrariums are absolutely fascinating, but I’m afraid to actually care for one. I would be so sad if I ended up with something that looked like a scene out of Soylent Green. How fussy are they?

11. Meighan says:

Megan – thank you! It was great!

Roxana, from what I learned this weekend, they are very easy to care for. The key is NOT over water. That is why they are so resilient, they do not not need a lot of care at all. They grow very slow, and need very little water. FUN & easy!

12. Gabrielle says:

Those succulents are so lush and beautiful. They look like they are made of precious stones. Unfortunately I have a “black thumb” and can never keep plants alive. To satisfy my love of terrariums I just made myself a really pretty needle-felted one. You should check it out: http://tinyapartmentcrafts.blogspot.com/2010/12/needle-felted-terrarium-and-mushroom.html

13. Roxana says:

Gabrielle, that is BRILLIANT! I’m a knitter and spinner, so I have quite a stash of wool roving in all sorts of colors…you’ve completely opened my eyes to the possibilities!

And thanks for the encouragement Meighan. I am really intrigued and think I’ll give it a try!

14. it looks great!!! love it!!! I’ve done something similar… take a look

15. Matti says:

Hey Meighan, happy that you had a fun time. We love sharing our passion for plants with people…and yeah…terrariums are one of those great ways to get started on the plant habit.lol. Matti

16. Peter says:

These are so funky. I would love to make one of those for my living room. Thanks for sharing

17. TBeads says:

Love love love that tiny graveyard terrarium. What talent you have!

18. Deb says:

Can you tell me where you get the glass pieces? I especially like the tall one – It has a bird on top! I’d like to purchase the glass.

19. Jessica says:

Did you make the cemetery yourself or is it from the ‘twig’ company? I must have it.

20. Thea vintage says:

The graveyard terrarium is brilliant! In fact I love all of them.

21. These are really neat! I made some terrariums over the holidays kind of like this. I used big light bulbs and just broke out all the innards and put some sand in there with air plants. Great ideas here too, though. Thanks for sharing and adding such cool pics to go with.

22. Stephanie Cochran says:

would you be interested in making and selling a graveyard one for me?

23. Brenda Boston says:

Are the tiny tombstones still available to purchase somewhere?