unexpected guests: abbey hendrickson.

today, on unexpected guests we’re taking a little stroll down memory lane, and checking in on abbey hendrickson, artist & blogger from aesthetic outburst, and vintage etsy shop, how now design. we visited abbey way back in june 2008 and i’m always intrigued to see how (and if!) other people change up their interiors as much as i do.

abbey and her family recently moved to upstate new york, so i thought it would be fun to see how they incorporated their old furnishings in the new place, and what else they’ve added to the mix. abbey doesn’t disappoint — she has a killer eye for taking the most simple objects and making them sublime. if you weren’t with us on our last visit, you’re in for something inspiring.

Where do you live, and what are a few of your favorite things to do in your neighborhood?
I live in a small town just outside of Owego, New York, with my husband and our two kids (ages 1 and 3).  We rent the tiny house that my dad and his five siblings grew up in.  We’re homebodies, so our favorite thing to do is lure our friends and family to ‘Chez Hendrickson’ for dinner parties, particularly when the weather’s good.  I make a killer margarita.  We’re also lucky to live near the Finger Lakes, so we like to steal my parents’ VW bus and take the kiddos camping in Ithaca, NY.  I’m bound and determined to raise two little hippies.

What are your top three etsy or online handmade shops?
I’m a sucker for etsy shops with impeccable photo styling.  Here are three of my favorites:
1. Present & Correct; 2. pigeon toe ceramics; and 3. trampoline.

What’s your favorite possession?
Last summer I convinced myself that we were going to have a tornado (very weird, I know, but the sky was so green!).  I ran around the house putting possessions in a basket, but the very first thing I grabbed was a smooth green rock from a vacation that we took ninety years ago.  The second thing I grabbed?  Our children’s baby books.  We didn’t have a tornado or, I’m embarrassed to admit, a storm of any kind that day, but I was definitely surprised by the things that I piled in that basket.

What’s your favorite flea market, or secondhand find?
My favorite find ever is an old industrial cabinet with 10 drawers that we found at a school surplus sale.  It lives in our kitchen and is packed full of utensils and kitchen gadgets.

What five things can’t you live without?
I absolutely cannot live without my husband and our babies, our family and dear friends, good books, wine and my computer. oh, and apparently a green rock and a couple of baby books.

If you could go shopping with anyone in the world, who would it be?
Hands down, Keith Johnson. Does everyone say that?

What bores you to death?
If I see one more episode of Scooby Doo, I just may die.  Our three year old is obsessed and I’ll probably cave at some point today, so I had best prepare myself for certain death.  Thanks so much for inviting me, Victoria!

Comments
32 Responses to “unexpected guests: abbey hendrickson.”
  1. What an amazing home! I wish my house looked exactly like this! :)

2. ModFruGal says:

I love that she loves birds and fawns!

3. Julie says:

I love your aesthetic! Can you tell me where you found that great tent? Thanks!

4. happyowlerin says:

I LOVE your home. Srsly, my major inspiration!!! Great feature.
    xo
    p.s. scooby do has taken over our life too, ugh!

5. I’m dying for that blue bookshelf!! I love!!!

6. Mikkili.com says:

Wauw, beautiful home. I love the details.

7. jennifer in sf says:

I love the plastic animal tableau. Very cool all round.

P.S. The etsy links are borked.

8. jennifer says:

fun home! i can see your personality and that’s what makes your home so wonderful. thanks for sharing!

9. victoria says:

glad you all like it – it’s such a happy home!

jennifer – thank you for the heads up. links are all fixed!

10. racheldenbow says:

I’m in love with her aesthetic (ha!) to the point that I now think I need a giant vintage art piece of a daschund in my house.

Thanks for going back for a second look, Victoria! Great job, Abbey!

11. melissa says:

thanks for this… one of my favourite house tours so far :)

12. Hannah says:

What a beautiful and lively home, I love the bold colours and vintage treasures!

13. Cassie says:

I love all the unexpected pairing. Such a great feature.

14. Abbey H says:

Thank you all SO much! You’re very sweet. :)

Julie- we found the teepee on Amazon (it’s the Dexton Great Plains 6′). We’re all in love with it at our house.

15. I wonder if Abbey painted her new/old house white before moving in? Guess I’d better check her blog to see. It’s a great backdrop for all those beautiful colors she uses!

If anyone in the Bay Area wants and industrial cabinet like Abbey’s favorite, I just found two at a junk shop. Here’s my post about them:

16. victoria says:

i want a teepee, too!

thanks for sharing with us, abbey!

17. totally random – but i love that globe in the background of one of the pics… it’s painted white… but you can see through to the letters. love, love, love that!

18. rebecca says:

swoon. i love every last micron of that house. LOVE. so awesome, thanks for this post!

19. honeydonthink says:

I agree with Rachel (above) that my home is missing a giant daschund on its walls after seeing Abbey’s. Wonderful home – thanks for inviting us back again!

20. Kevin313 says:

This place in GORGEOUS. I recall seeing something similar at aliceindesignland.com the other day.

21. LOVE this space! it looks like it belongs to happy people :) every item is obviously handpicked with care, and the colors really brighten up the space. jealous!

22. What a lovely interview with Abbey. She’s such an original talent. I want to raise my kids like hippies too in Ithaca!

23. Amanda says:

I grew up near Owego, NY (Johnson City), and I cannot believe that there is a house like THIS there. It amazes me. I am so impressed. I have one of those vintage deer, makes me feel very special. Thank you for sharing, very inspirational.

24. Oh my goodness, I loved reading this interview! What a amagical home -that teepee (sp?) is so fun!!

25. andrea says:

wow I love this house! particularly the deer collection :) thanks for sharing it!

26. ana says:

oh, oh, oh, oh my God. I see so many things that I would love to find for my new apartment. The school desk is to die for!!! Abbey PLEEEEEASE when you get tired of them please e-mail me. Although I live in Portugal I manage a way of shipping, ok?

27. Margey says:

Hmm, should I paint all my walls white now or later? Love this interior and all the fun colors. Definitely a happy home!

28. Yay! I love Abbey’s blog and have admired her interiors from afar for a while. So happy to see her gorgeous and happy home here!

@Margey, you’re right – let’s start a ‘paint the walls white’ revolution!

29. Abbey H says:

Thank you all for your sweet comments. Amanda, yay for Johnson City! I used to live there too (on Riverside Drive). Michael, thanks! I painted the globe in grad school (here’s more info about that: http://aestheticoutburst.blogspot.com/2010/01/unoriginal.html)
    Camille @ the vintique object- we rent the house and I was relieved to find that it was white when we moved in.
    Ana- definitely. :)

30. I just love this… the interview, the honesty, the home… so great!

31. Claire says:

Abbey – what a wonderful home! Where did you find the Susan B Anthony piece (or did you paint it)? I love it.

32. Abbey H says:

Thanks, Claire! It was part of a larger drawing that I did in grad school (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hownowdesign/3023835032/in/set-72157603441544798/). It’s actually a t-shirt that I stretched over a wooden frame. I took a photo of Susan B Anthony to one of those mall airbrush stands and had it made. The guy thought I was insane…and he also thought it was a photo of me (?!). I look nothing like Susan B Anthony. :)