guest post: raining sheep.

Hi all, this is Raina from Raining sheep. I am hijacking Victoria’s blog today while the lucky girl is doing New York city in true style.  Style is exactly why I fell in love with Vic’s blog.  While I occupy my corporate cell each weekday, I sneak a peak at Victoria’s blog and, at least temporarily forget there is such a thing as a corporate job.  I think my favorite is her ‘Unexpected Guest’ posts.  The ideas, the fabulous decorating…it all makes my heart sing.

I have always loved the artsy side of life and have gone through various iterations of decorating styles.  I started out with hippy chic, you know, the Chianti-bottle-with-the-candle (remember the ones!), macrame plant hangers, and sandalwood incense.  I later graduated to country style, victorian, shabby chic, eclectic, boho chic…and finally ended up at a place I love – minimal, mid-century modern, with some granny chic thrown in when my husband is not looking.

I have to admit I have been getting into some of the minimalism blogs and recently went through a ‘things’ purging period. The ladies at my local Goodwill know me by my first name.  I pretty much gave away most of my house. I only kept the things I absolutely love.  I even purged my yarn collection – a huge achievement for a sometimes-knitter/crochet lover and collector of sock yarn.

I love the empty spaces around me, there is this zen feel to a room with not much in it except a few amazingly well designed pieces of furniture. I have to admit there is always an inner struggle to bring more things in; each time I visit Victoria’s blog I fall in love with something.  That boho-chic tendency has never really left me.  However, there is something cleansing about clear, bare surfaces.  Never mind the fact that my cleaning lady says we are her favorite clients as she has very few things to dust!

My home is a work in progress. Still a long way to go before it’s there.  Additionally I realize, rather pleasantly, that my home will never really be ‘there’. Style to me is a constant, evolving journey.

Comments
24 Responses to “guest post: raining sheep.”
  1. your home looks lovely and relaxing, a perfect place to escape from the cell… and I know the feeling ;)

2. Melissa says:

Lovely photos. Your home seems very comfortable yet quite stylish. What a beautiful cat!

3. emma lamb says:

Oh Miss Raina! I do love your home, with those beautifully photogenic blue walls, and I love that you have a perfect balance of mid century meets granny chic. Very lovely… :)
    Emma, s

4. So nice to see your home. I have always enjoyed your photography with that wonderful blue wall as the background.

And love that sentiment that a home is never really finished as style is always evolving.

Thank you for sharing, lovely.x

5. Sarah says:

Ah yes escape from corporateness is vital! Beautiful photos of course :)

6. Kate says:

Your home is lovely, and your cat GORGEOUS!

7. Ana says:

That is the cutest cat I’ve seen. Such a dreamy place.

8. Martha says:

I love the couch! Where is it from?

9. I love your minimalist style! Those photos are stunning. Thanks for sharing.

10. Raina says:

Thank you for the nice comments, the couch is made by a Canadian company called Gus Modern (www.gusmodern.com).

11. gia says:

So nice to hear about a blogger that also works!

12. Such beautiful serenity, Raina. I hope you know that I always enjoy viewing your images and reading what you have to say about your evolving journey.

13. Attiser says:

Raina, you home is very beautiful and has lovely little things which make it look so special..
    perfect balance !

14. I love the mid century with a little granny tinge here and there. You got me hankering for a knitted patchwork pillow pattern now.

15. homestilo says:

Well said Raina, and I would say that the result of the “purging” of your space is wonderful.

16. I think Charles and Raye would of smiled seeing the knitted pillow on thier chair. Love it!!

17. elena says:

Agreed. Though your home looks quite lovely to me. ;)

18. teresa says:

Well said and well done, Raina! I, too, love having empty space. It feels more luxurious than having lots of stuff. It’s hard not to accumulate stuff when you are an arts and crafts type of person. And when you see lots of cool things an the blogs like this!

19. The light on the livingroom couch and the picture above it is so soothing… Beautiful.

:-)

20. Hi Raina! It’s nice to meet people with the same passion and interest in life. I too like the guests’ posts. It’s very dynamic and inspirational. Aside from Vic’s DIY articles, I get most of my inspirations (for my house and garden designs) from the guest posts.

I hope you’ll come back soon and post another useful post.

21. JanyH says:

Hi Raina, thanks for sharing your beautiful home.
    I elove the credenza your cat is sitting on, where did you get it ?
    Have a lovely day and week

22. Jodie Byrne says:

No matter what you do to your home, there will always be something more you’d like to add, take away or change in some way. As humans, we get bored easy. I find it interesting though, hearing about other peoples journeys. You have a lovely home.

23. Love the couch and how homey your house is!

24. Valerie says:

you know how I love your home, don’t you ?
    and I agree : to me, empty spaces = zen !
    the problem being there’s a lot of things I love, that come from my ancestors (all gone) & dear to my couple life, so I’m not as minimalist as I’d like to…
    thank you for this peek in your beautiful nest !