new day, new look.

well, i was at it again this weekend…rearranging the furniture in just about every room! i get so tragically bored, and really wasn’t feeling it around here for a while, so i started moving one thing, and one thing lead to another. i had swapped the living room with the dining room awhile ago, and then swapped back (call me crazy) and now — i’ve swapped ‘em once again. still debating on painting the chalkboard black and lightening up the living room, but now that i’ve changed things up, it’s feeling kinda cozy. what do you think? love it or hate it?

• all photos © sfgirlbybay.

Comments
74 Responses to “new day, new look.”
  1. Love it- I am constantly re organizing our furniture too. I call it Feng Shui- because really it is a matter of changing up the energy in your space to clear and give flow to areas that are blocked and you might not even realize it.

This weekend we did some organizing of our art and craft space. http://ladyofthearts.blogspot.com/2011/07/organizing-craft-and-art-space-feng.html
    Now we are all clear for creativity!

2. helene says:

i love it! i adore that you dared to paint the walls with chalkboard paint. the room is still light and so comfy and cozy. thumbs up!!!

3. Mo says:

Looks very cozy, I wish I was brave enough to do such a dramatic colour. Next month I’m going from medium taupe, to a lovely shade of grey. Maybe my small bathroom could be dark with the white fixtures and tile… What did you do with the old living room?

4. victoria says:

thanks! the ‘old living room’ is now the dining room – pics to come. it’s got some blank spots that need some work! :)

5. homestilo says:

You are really bringing the drama with those walls: Love.It.

6. So lovely!!!! Hugs Johanna

7. I love it!, looks very cozy, very lovely. Have a nice day.

8. katie says:

i love it! i’m contemplating having dark chalkboard walls in my new apt…or at least one in the kitchen :) you make it look great!

9. Jen says:

Ummm… TRADESIES?? I love it. I feel like getting loads of fresh flowers makes me re-love a space once I’m bored with it.

10. Anna says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE. And I LOVE the dark walls- as soon as I am not renting I am painting a room in our house that color.

11. Faberuna says:

I just love it! So cozy and classic. The pops of white works so well.

12. Love! I really want black or super dark midnight blue walls in my living room and this makes me think we should just go for it.

13. Harrison says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE the margaret kilagren print. That thing is such a beauty!! Do you by any chance have any barry mcgee work as well?

14. Anna @ D16 says:

KEEP IT. This is my dream living room—these photos are really making me want to paint ALL of the walls in my living room black (we only did one) so we can truly be LR twins.

15. victoria says:

the walls have been chalkboard black for a while now – it’s just a question of whether i keep them, or go fresh white, or maybe a pale blue/gray?

harrison – my friend just gave me the margaret kilagren print, as she was changing up her decor. i don’t have amy barry mcgee…yet. :)

i was propping the margaret kilagren print up against the wall, to try it and it came crashing down, and i broke the glass and frame – so it needs new framing!

16. victoria says:

thanks anna! yes – let’s be twinsies! :)

17. charlie says:

I love the coziness of it. The black is soft, and white trim brightens and balances. A pale grey-blue would also look nice, but there is something really striking and sophisticated about the black. I feel like a paler color would make the objects in the room look lost- against the black, they really pop.
    Just my thoughts. :) xox,ch

18. Lieke says:

Your house looks so beautiful and inspirational! Really, you are so lucky and gifted!

19. Jenny says:

I think it looks great and I’m really digging the pops of pink throughout! Very cozy AND sophisticated.

20. Very chic! Beautiful wall color and I love the splash of pink!

21. So stylish!!! You are productive. You never are one to rest and be content. I love that about you. Always ready to dive into the next adventure, the next phase, or just change things up. I’m one of those girls that is afraid to even begin because what if I make a mistake. I could take a page or 10 out of YOUR book.
    Love it!
    – Carrie

22. Bonnie Brennan says:

Beautiful! I’m buying a house with my boyfriend at the moment – I can’t wait to start decorating! The problem is I keep changing my mind on how I want it :) Thanks for the inspiration! The colours are lovely xoxo Bonnie

23. anna says:

First of all, that paint is delicious and is such an amazing contrast to all your white furniture. Can I say, I don’t know how you decorate that big room (the one that is now your dining room). It’s just really huge and I have no idea how I’d make use of all that space. I love seeing what you do with it- more pictures please please please!

24. victoria says:

thanks you guys – i’m in love with pink right now, too!

anna – it’s a challenge – trust me! there’s a big empty wall i need to fill…more to come!

25. Julie says:

I love the new walls!!! looks beautiful and cozy. what color white do you use for your walls and on your fireplace & moldings?

26. katherine says:

I see myself enjoying a cocktail in that room!

27. Lisette says:

The result is beautiful, cozy and sophisticated at the same time. I must confess that I’m lusting after a couple of your chairs… tee hee! ;)

28. Moira says:

I’m totally inspired to rip apart my house and rearrange. Not a good time since guests are coming and I just need to get sheets on the bed. Bookmarking this page for an August redesign project.

29. victoria says:

julie – the walls are rust oleum’s chalkboard black, but, i’m not sure about the white on the mantel – it’s a semi gloss for sure. i bought the mantel at omega salvage in berkeley and brought it here from my old house – so i painted it a long time ago.

indeed, katherine – cocktails are to be had here! shaken, not stirred. :)

30. kathy says:

i love it as is! and am glad you do, too …. for the time being, anyway. :)

i agree with what someone, above, said – that the darker wall color really shows your fabulous white furnishings to best advantage. i can’t do that where i live (rental) so will be content – until i move – to do some rearranging of my own, make some more new pillows and live vicariously through your re-painting. whenever that is.

thanks for sharing. :)

31. kathy says:

ps: would you mind sharing the source on that great rug?!!? i have been looking for something similiar (hopefully in a flat-weave and that looks like what you have). thanks again!

32. victoria says:

kathy – thanks so much! the rug is a flea market find – as are most rugs i have. it’s a bit threadbare, but i like to pretend that adds to the character. i’m not sure of its origin – maybe moroccan? it was super cheap, though!

33. Alessia says:

supreme coziness! Your place looks great, and I love the black walls

34. I love it! I’m not sure I could be brave enough to pull off black. I love the wine holder so much.

35. victoria says:

the black is kinda fun, and not as dark as you might think…i still want to write on it one of these days!

the wine rack is just like $2.00 from ikea – i didn’t know what to put in the faux fireplace mantel – so i put the wine rack there. :)

36. janis says:

Love your decor Victoria, though I vote for going lighter – maybe your pale blue/gray (as you mentioned above), or pale lilac/gray. Whatever you decide on will look fabulous and cozy, I’m sure of it

37. sara alana says:

Love your house. Modern, but cozy. The gray walls are fabulous!

saraalana.wordpress.com

38. JWK says:

ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!!

39. victoria says:

thank you janis – i like the idea of gray/lavender shade – nice idea!

40. Kate says:

I LOVE it! So beautiful, as always, and yet looks ‘new’. Re-arranging is the best for a restless day.

41. Ranu says:

Love it Victoria!! Especially the furry throw, rocker and pillow together. My favorite is how the white pops against the dark gray walls.

42. randa says:

i love the walls! i say keep them. they are super sumptuous and cozy. your photos are beautiful.

43. i think it looks great! i especially love the mantel area…all the white and the wine rack- so cool. you did a wonderful job. wish i had the energy to do the same…you may have just inspired me to do some rearranging this weekend. thanks!

44. Debra says:

This is why I love coming to your blog everyday, there is always something new and so cute and hip and stylish. Is your floor lamp vintage? Love it and thanks for inspiring all of us!!!

45. victoria says:

you guys are too kind…now i feel like i’ve done the right thing – for now! ;)

debra – yes, it’s a vintage lamp. i traded a neighbor for it many years ago.

46. HOLY MOLY!!! i looooooovvvvvvee the redo. love the gray walls, love the SF shout out, love the suzani, the mushrooms… ahhh! seriously victoria, amazing. loveloveloveee! what a joy that space must be to live in!

47. Anna says:

This is great – our guest room is painted a very similar color and I’ve been stuck on the accent colors/pieces. Love everything here!

48. DENISE. says:

Are you kidding? LOVE it!

49. peggy says:

I got a little confused, I thought I was looking at Door Sixteen for a minute. Is your style influenced by her style? Her style is totally fab. I love the color of these walls. I think you need a little more pink. Maybe some pink pillows?

I totally understand moving things around. I get bored too. Did you say you swapped the living and dining room? Can we see some pics of your new dining room, pretty please?

50. peggy says:

P.S. Where did you get the cute mushroom sculpture?

51. ann says:

i’m just so glad somebody out there is like me…always tinkering, always changing things around. the chalkboard walls are amazing. would you ever paint furniture with chalkboard paint? i have a couple of curly, curvy sort of frenchy brown wood end tables from the 1950’s. the lines are great. the wood color not so much.

52. annie says:

Beautiful! I love all the details.

53. Simone says:

Looks lovely, love the colours of the wall, a slate grey.

Very cozy indeed!

54. Victoria, I loved the old look, but I love the new look too. The grey paint looks amazing against all that white! Loving the contrast. I have a splash of chalkboard red in my kitchen and chalkboard black in my office. I use all of it. And I plan to probably do it again in the living room next month.

Thanks for sharing your love of interior design!

55. janet morrin says:

love the re-arranging, keep it :)

56. Harrison says:

Too bad about the framing of the margaret kilagren print…but at least the print is in good shape. Where are you going to look for barry mcgee work? his stuff is awesome!

57. Alix says:

Aw it looks amazing Victoria! Love all the details….and I love that you mix it up so regularly. I need to learn from that.

YAY for margaret kilgallen. We actually managed to get our hands on a really large print she did at Paulson Press and it’s one of my most prized possessions.

58. SH says:

inspiring and enviable! i want your rug!

59. Kacie says:

I personally love the dark, matte walls. I think it works in contrast with the armchairs and rugs.

Kacie

60. Lilly says:

love it!! Black walls are so lovely with light/bright constrasting furniture! I wish I had room to move things around! xo

61. So you did it! Your home is beautiful! Love all the great vignettes.

62. paige reaux says:

Love this! I saw that mountain print above your black dresser floating around on the web… i found the source but can’t seem to locate it again! where did you get yours?

63. victoria says:

thanks again, y’all!

paige – you can find the mountain print at fine little shop: http://finelittleshop.bigcartel.com/

64. Leanne says:

I was away for the weekend, and just getting caught up with my favorite blogs. I have to say I love it. So many pretty, cozy spaces to curl up with a cuppa and a book or a friend. I adore your color palate and your sense of space. I am always moving stuff around my place too, so I won’t judge you on that!

65. victoria says:

thank you leanne! glad you got away for the weekend, and away from the computer for a bit! :)

66. Kelly says:

Love that you “colored outside the lines” and swapped the rooms to your needs! I personally like the black chalkboard, but if you’re leaning towards “lightening up” a good compromise would be to do a different color “chalkboard”. There’s a DIY chalkboard paint recipe floating around pinterest that sounds like it would work with any paint color you would choose. So fun!

67. This is the first time I have commented on your blog and wanted to let you know I think you are such a fabulous, talented lady. We would most def be friends if we lived in the same city – or at least one could only hope! ;) I absolutely love how much of a rearrangin’ fool you are – as am I. Thanks for sharing these lovely pics, I actually love the richness of the walls and the contrast of the white fireplace. Touche! Thanks for having such a wonderful blog. – Jessica

68. Hannah says:

Victoria, I’m lusting after your hot pink pillows. Are they vintage or do I have hope of finding something similar?

Happy New Year, too!
    Hannah

69. Ladonna says:

The work is so nice and modern. Would you please tell us how you did the wine holders? I have been searching for a way to do this on an old cabinet in my dining room, and this is perfect.
    Thanks!