girl crush.

hello again, it’s the jealous curator! i’m so excited to be back on the always fabulous sfgirlbybay with a new series of posts. this time i’m writing about something very close to my heart – the amazing women whose art work both inspires and crushes me {hence the catchy title!}. for the very first post i thought it only fitting to write about a woman who i have had a huge art crush on for years:

yep, it was that issue of print magazine in 2003 that changed everything for me. in fact, i still have it tacked up on my studio wall at this very moment. margaret kilgallen, a san francisco painter and installation artist, graced the cover. it was one of the first times i felt truly inspired, and then completely envious of someone’s enormous artistic talent. she was an amazingly gifted artist who, very sadly, stopped painting far too early. she was 33 when she died due to complications from breast cancer. just imagine what she might have created if she had lived for a few more decades.

sigh – so gorgeous. before i go, i also want to share this video of margaret talking about her work. it’s fantastic to actually watch her paint, and to hear her talk about her process. her philosophies around work done by hand are so uplifting – i will never beat myself up for an imperfect line ever again! thank you margaret – you truly are an inspiration xo

Comments
18 Responses to “girl crush.”
  1. Jes says:

Yes, she’s my heroine too – my boyfriend recently bought me a copy of her book, In the Sweet Bye and Bye as a surprise present. Full of all her beautiful work, so sad it was cut short so soon.

2. Jennifer says:

I had know idea she played such a huge part of the Mission School art movement. I interned in the Mission for one summer at McSweeney’s and I just fell in love with all the murals in the neighborhood. I can’t wait to go back and spot some of her work.

3. Ann says:

I first heard of Margaret while watching the documentary “Beautiful Losers.” Her work is so simply graphic, yet completely recognizable. I love seeing her work in such a large scale, especially her murals.

• Melanie says:

I was EXTREMELY fortunate to see the Beautiful Losers exhibit at the Orange County Museum of Art when I lived in L.A. several years ago. Truly one of the best exhibits I’ve ever seen. It was totally worth driving to and being in Orange County. ;)

4. Allison says:

That is so tragic, I hadnt heard that she died! I actually have been re-watching all of the Art 21 series, and loved her segment.

5. Melanie says:

I love her stuff too. I saw some of her work at the Art in the Streets exhibit at MOCA in downtown L.A. BTW – Love the title “Girl Crush.” I’m actually working on something for Hello Giggles (that will hopefully become a series) with the same title right now. :)

6. My husband has that issue as well. We love her too. My husband really loves her ;)
    She is a truly inspiring and creative woman.

7. well… clearly i’m not alone in this girl crush! thanks for all of your lovely comments! yes, her work really is so amazing, isn’t it?! writing about her is always very emotional… inspirational and sad all at the same time.

8. ooo her work is neat!

reminds me of Clare Rojas: http://kavigupta.com/artist/clareerojas

9. andrea says:

it was that same 2003 cover of PRINT magazine that drew me in to margaret’s work. she’s been inspiring me ever since and yep, I have that same cover tacked to my inspiration wall. finally saw her work in person just recently at the ‘art in the streets’ show at MOCA. so good I sort of wanted to cry.

10. Julie says:

I too am a great lover of her work and the ethos surrounding it. Thank you for this post! Way too sad to lose her.

11. Missy says:

I am a fan, too. We also saw her in Beautiful Losers. I also think she was in Giant Robot magazine. I like watching her draw in BL.

12. i like watching her draw too… there’s a video in the last part of this post that shows her working on a huge mural, and talking about the imperfection of things created by hand… so good.

13. That was so lovely…..she is one of my all time favorites too. (And it was that issue of PRINT that I remember so clearly!) Living in SF we were able to go to the Beautiful Losers exhibit as well as a showing in Vancouver. Her work is SO special. We are fortunate to own a piece she did through Paulson Press and it is one of our most treasured possessions.

I wrote about her a while back on my old blog
    (not sure if this is poor form to link here, but seeing as you are a big fan too I thought you might be interested!)

thanks so much for posting this. i always love to see her work.
    xo

14. thanks alix. my gosh, i can’t read about her daughter without feeling like i’m going to cry. thanks for the link… it was such a lovely post you wrote. xo

15. Sigrid says:

Margaret was an amazingly talented artists, she left this world far too soon. But I am thankful for what she has left behind.

16. Karyn says:

I found the Beautiful Losers film to be a fantastic inspiration. I love her work. It is so beautiful and has real feeling.

17. Hello, I think your website might be having browser compatibility issues.
    When I look at your blog site in Chrome, it looks fine but when
    opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping.
    I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Other then that,
    superb blog!