inspired by: stranger on a plane.

on a recent plane ride home from los angeles, i sat next to an elderly woman who was reading an aged copy of emma, perhaps from the 40′s. i noticed the price tag on the cover was $1.10 and asked her if she had purchased the original copy. she had indeed, and she very kindly allowed me to photograph the book with my iphone. talk about a weird juxtaposition of technology meets vintage! it got me thinking about how much i love the old book jackets of yesteryear, so i thought i’d round up a few cool ones.

things magazine has a great project featuring a collection of some great old penguin paperback book covers (above, and below). and ominivore books in san francisco is known for some classic old cookbooks and cocktail mixer how-to’s; i love this 1958 prize winning photography book from terror skink.

hannah ellen always has a fine collection of penguin paperbacks.

i was given this classic beauty pictures by some dear friends.

• top image marilyn monroe.

Comments
20 Responses to “inspired by: stranger on a plane.”
  1. I am such a fan of the penguin paperbacks. Such great covers!

2. I have a mini collection of vintage books, and some were purchased purely for the fantastic covers! I love your collection here, especially “show me london” and “prize winning photography”. Pretty fantastic.

3. such great covers, love vintage books….

4. Chelsea says:

I love vintage books…it is so fun coming across books you really love or fabulous looking covers at estate sales. What a great roundup- love! xoxo

5. Christy says:

So where is the photo of her book? Am I missing it? Must see!

6. this is so great, love it! thanks for sharing!!

x

7. Melanie says:

Wow, these are great. I especially love the covers for The Styron Story and Sex and the Single Girl. I’m really liking pink and yellow these days.

8. Nashvilledeb says:

These are really great. Thanks for sharing. Lately, I’ve been in to searching thrift stores for interesting album covers, especially those from the 50′s and early 60′s. There are some real doozies out there!

9. Kacie says:

My husband’s Nana gave me her copy of “When We Were Young and Gay” for our wedding. I treasure it! She brought it over on a boat with her from NZ in her 20′s!

Kacie

10. These are all so beautiful! But is it bad that I’m totally judging these books by their covers?

11. Kailey says:

Eee this post is absolutely gorgeous post! I am a huge fan of vintage Penguin book covers :D

12. swoon and double-swoon to this post….most notably the conversation with an that lovely woman.

13. Naomi Bulger says:

What a sweet little story. And a lovely idea for a blog. Vintage book covers are so beautiful.

14. Ashley J says:

where is the top photo from? is that marilyn?

15. what a great way to pass the time on an airplane! I love vintage book covers too, especially children’s stories, and collections. And what about good old readers digest Condensed books? They have great paper patterns on the inside, and they are a childhood memory for me, that really is one of the best thing about vintage!