a room to rest.

sitting here wondering what i might share with you today, when i came upon this great old neon sign on how to be a retronaut. and then it came to me – le bain, the loo, the bathroom – that place occasionally called the restroom. but one can only truly rest when one’s bathroom is decked out as luxuriously as we deserve (like with that lovely reclaimed tub caddy above) and perhaps a vintage clawfoot tub, so i’m rounding up some ideas for doing just that today. viva la bathroom, and a room to rest.

the guardian uk, via the english muse; a pretty bathroom or two from from lonny; a pretty private bath via yatzer; and morten holtum.

neville trickett’s bath; melanie acevedo; a couple more lovelies from lonny; and stylist laura fulmine.

Comments
18 Responses to “a room to rest.”
  1. Anna @ D16 says:

I would live/work/sleep in my clawfoot tub if it weren’t a really bad idea to bring a laptop in there with me.

2. Will says:

Loving the battered claw foot baths

3. I love bathrooms.. If I could I would live in one..esp in the ones that you’ve shown! And esp the ones in Indian 5 star hotels. I would recommend ITC Sonar Bangla’s women’s floor with their beautiful suite and AS BIG a bathroom. Heaven!

Thanks!

—————
    Gayatri
    Look who’s Wearing (LwW)

4. shalini says:

In all the old style clubs in India (think old British Raj-style members only places) the restrooms, were actually that. Places to rest and refresh yourself, maybe after a swim or tennis and before playing bridge or doing the foxtrot! The Delhi Gymkhana Club even has a beauty parlor in the ladies restroom and a barber in the men’s restroom.

5. That third one with the checkered floors is AMAZING. I have a thing for “scary movie” bathrooms… I don’t know why. They always look so cottagey and peaceful. Haha!

6. michel stong says:

When I was married, my brother and I dumpster dived for an old clawfoot tub, and installed it in my giant bedroom ( I lived in a stucco bungalow). It was heaven, my boys and I could bathe, nap and play all in the same big, wonderful room. Those were the days! Thanks for bringing back the memory, Victoria.
    michel

7. Shay says:

Ok, the toilet that looks like a chair is brilliant !!! That is a fantastic idea !
    All of the “restrooms” are inspirational.
    Once again another super duper post. :0)
    Shay~ Designer Junk Finder

8. Tina says:

aw, thank you for the link! you made my day! :)

9. Cathy Jean says:

I’m digging that turquoise blue one with all the paintings.. Awesome.

10. Kacie says:

I have that Lonny one with the black tub saved in my inspiration folder. I think I’m going to go take a bath now… seriously.

Kacie

11. Wow, these bathrooms are stunning. I want them all xx

12. claire says:

So lovely to see the bathroom from melanie acevedo! I remember seeing it in a magazine in a doctors waiting room a while back . I loved it so much I wanted to steal the magazine. It’s so nice to find out who the designer is xx

13. This post is so making me miss the clawfoot tub we had in our old house! I don’t think most people realize how comfortable those are (or noone would ever install anything else)!

14. anna says:

Once again your post makes me want to do something completely spontaneous!!! in my case its take a relaxing bath which i never do (is it sad that baths are spontaneous for me?) ANYWAY thank you for the constant flow of great inspiration!!

15. rooth says:

I’d love to sit and relax in that tub… how relaxing

16. Any idea who makes the large straw mat in the last picture? I need that!