separated at birth.

allrighty! i’m going for round two with the male version of separated at birth, and this time, it’s just a little bit macho. what a good time i had! i rounded up some of the delicious bad boys we all love to hate, or as the case may be, love to love!

commune & jack nicholson.

steve mcqeen and chris everard.

paul newman & lonny.

bloom magazine and james dean.

james garner and richard powers.

lonny & robert redford.

gene kelly & red online.

• top image michael caine & dorothy draper’s greenbriar hotel.

Comments
53 Responses to “separated at birth.”
  1. erin says:

Oh Gene. I’m a sucker for his scrunchy eyed smile — and his sweater.

2. oh my, V…one of the best so far! … and steve mcqueen just put it over the top.

3. this is awesome. oh men. i love them

4. silvia says:

very nice victoria! i love it… :)

5. and i have now (hopefully) fixed the above name link :)

6. you are so good at this! and i’m SWOONING over gene kelly! yowza!

7. tula says:

oh my god. i feel like i just had an online affair. step away from the computer.

8. automatism says:

Oh, swoon. Love them all — though when I was a little girl I wanted to marry Gene Kelly. Awesome as always, V!!

9. I always get so excited when another one of these posts go up. Love them so much!! Michael Caine is my favorite from this set, with Gene Kelly a close second.

10. Karena says:

Cool very cool, I love these men!!

xoxo
    Karena

Art by Karena

Come and enter my special Giveaway from Interieurs!!

11. Jen says:

I’ll take a James Dean and a Redford, please.

12. Mia says:

Oh, love this! All of them! You’re amazingly good at this – ever considered making a book out of this birth-separation theme? I would love to have it and dip into every now and then. Total pleasure to look at!

13. just-a-guyguyguy says:

Wow, they set the bar really damn high — didn’t they. Interiors are super cool too. I like the idea of a book MIA. You know, guys need a design tool to refer too — a folded metro map kinda thing for the wallet, how to dress tool, how to do an interior, how to paint tool, how to light a room…. in one self help guide… haha. cheers

14. I love it! Those are some great interiors and some handsome men!

Kacie

15. ahh, yes… that made my afternoon so much dreamier. thank you. really.

16. Fiona says:

Nice! Although I don’t get Paul Newman and the Lonny one at all. No offense to Lonny, but it doesn’t touch his beauty. I have always loved, loved, loved Michael Caine for his quips, and I’ll take the Robert Redford room. Now if you did Cary Grant and Gregory Peck, my life would be complete.

• victoria says:

really? note the stealy blue eyes, and then the blue on the pillow cases! ;) and the overall hues – that’s what i was going for anyway! ha!

i’ve been working on cary and gregory – always in suits – which proves to be a boring match up sometimes.

17. Visual Jill says:

Very nice. Now can you please do Ryan Gosling, Robert Downey Jr. and Stanley Tucci? Pretty please?

18. sécia says:

I am totally in love with these.

♥ sécia

19. Oh yes! Steve McQueen… hubba hubba! ;)

20. Lauren says:

This is absolutely fantastic!

21. Anathalia says:

I love your separated at birth series! Always fantastic!

22. You know who Gene Kelly reminds me of in the photo, which is so disturbing? Michael Lohan. I think I’ll stick with Paul, thanks! ;)

23. Sarah says:

OMG – Gene, James Garner and Steve McQueen – one word…yummy! thanks for the great pictorial essay! very clever – ;-)

24. Cathy Jean says:

The James Dean pairing works the most unusual I think. It picks up on a personality rather than a match of colors or an interior- if you understand what I mean! I met Steve McQueen several times as a little girl while he filmed Bulitt. My parents had a flat on Union St.. He often was there at our neighborhood bar after shoots.

25. Lin says:

This series is killing me! Love it and I totally get the Paul Newman match and adore the James Dean. Ditto on Grant, Peck and maybe throw in a little Humphrey Bogart to spice things up? Looking forward to the next set. :-)

26. Amanda says:

ah, james dean.
    thanks for the dreamy post, victoria.
    btw, LOVE your new blog layout and design. it’s the prettiest blog out there right now!

• victoria says:

thank you so much, amanda. i love the design too, and it’s all because anna dorfmann and shanna murray made it so perfectly for me. it feels really fun and inspiring to have a new palette to blog from. :)

27. TieDye64 says:

Fantastic post! Is the top pic from “Alfie”? The original with Michael Caine is soooo much better than the Jude Law version. All of these are fabulous!

28. Joan says:

I love the way your mind works, victoria. this post is truly amazing…. there’s sort of no logic to these match-ups, but I seem to “get it” right off the bat. I mean, there is the concept of separated at birth that we’ve seen for ages between people, but this notion of relating a person to an interior view is absolutely a blast! you rock, victoria. your best work so far. and ditto on the new design for your blog. such a fresh look! hope it inspires you to do more of these sorts of posts. thank you, too. you brightened my (very long) day!

• victoria says:

awww, thank you joan. :) i do put a lot of time into these, so i’m glad you get it. i probably put waaaay too much time into them. this one was an all day project! ;)

29. hila says:

excuse me, i do believe there’s some drool on my laptop after scrolling down these images. i’m trying to keep my thoughts clean, honest.

i love the steve mcqueen and james dean pairings the best – they way you paired them doesn’t just capture similar colours, but also, the public persona of the men. you know, dean all pensive, modern and minimalistic, and mcqueen all suave, cool and classic. i’d love to see this with period-drama men, that would be swoon-worthy too.

p.s. i’ve been a long-time lurker of your blog, don’t know why i’ve been too shy to comment. but i do want to say now, you’re one awesome lady.

30. erin says:

LOVE this! the first 3 are my favorite. :)

31. Ludmilla says:

Steve McQueen my all time favorite and of course Jack Nicholson. You’ve done a terrific job. What a pleasure to scroll through the images!

32. SWOON, SWOON, SWOON….AHH!

33. Sarah Seung-McFarland says:

Perfect. Each and every one fits exactly! I must say, I really love the separated at birth series…so innovative:)))

34. Robin Romain says:

Those stripes with Gene…
    The sunlight on Jack…
    Stunning

35. paul newman’s baby blues make me weak in the knees

36. carmencatalina says:

Was there every anything as pretty as the young Paul Newman?

Sigh.

37. God, I love separated at birth! This is genious, it always works!

38. Kristin says: