studio spaces: in the make.

i somehow stumbled upon this great new online project good friends Nikki Grattan and Klea McKenna have been working on over the last few months. It’s called In The Make — a blog that showcases weekly studio visits with artists and designers. It’s a collaborative effort — Klea takes the photos, and Nikki does the interviews. Through the photos, text and interviews they aim to explore the artists’ space, process, influences, and the behind-the-scenes elements that are often unseen in the finished work.

In the Make highlights the ways in which each artist’s personal aesthetic pervades their environment and reveals their perspective. Nikki and Klea are also are interested in the daily realities of making creative work and how each artist manages to sustain their practice. The two are just getting started, beginning with local Bay Area artists, but hope to branch out soon and begin visiting artists far and wide. Check out some of my favorite visits from In the Make.

Studios included here:

alison kendall’s mission district studio.

pablo cristi’s berkeley studio.

linda geary’s oakland studio.

Jesse Schlesinger’s sausalito studio.

marci washington’s berkeley studio.

Comments
17 Responses to “studio spaces: in the make.”
  1. Jennifer says:

I love Alison Kendall’s work. Oh so beautiful.

2. Carren says:

I love it, especially the fact that they took time to visit and really take a good look at artist spaces :) Thanks for the intro!

3. nicole says:

really cool V! like closet visit, but with artists :) love it. oxo

4. Will says:

Oh, wow. This is inspiring. Love the splattered paint surfaces – perfect for Mr. Bazaar ;)

5. Melanie says:

I am completely obsessed with websites and books that feature photographs of living and work spaces of artists and other creative types. OBSESSED!

6. judit says:

I LOVE studios…:) I wish I had a big studio – like Linda’s:)

7. Jesse Lu says:

Thanks so much for this post Victoria. One, I love seeing other artist’s studios, two, I love being introduced to new artists, and three, well… I don’t know if this is a thank you really, but this post makes me miss San Francisco. I hope I can make it back the Bay one day.

8. sécia says:

I am so in love with that first shot.

♥ sécia

9. Kathryn says:

I’m hooked! This is something that’s been seriously lacking on the internet. I see a book one day. I could recommend a slew of local artists for this. Thanks for the link.

10. What a fun glimpse into the creative spaces of others! I’m inspired. I wish I was a painter!!!

Kacie

11. I love looking into these spaces! When I was studying art in school, my bedroom often looked the same much to the amusement of my parents!

I’m not a professional artist by any means, but I can not wait to move house and have a creative space that I can get as messy as I want!

12. Brilliant, I love a great studio tour!

13. Cat Sands says:

Lovely. For Portland there is work.place: http://www.workplacepdx.com/ which displays the working areas of artists, musicians, designers, and craftspeople around Portland.

14. nauli says:

Love this! Especially the place of Jesse Schlesinger looks awesome! In The Make is on our reading list now… Thank’s for sharing!

15. Victoria says:

I love looking at artists studios! thanks for finding it and sharing it.

16. danielle says:

what a great find victoria! gorgeous site/great concept!!! … wish i thought of it ; )