peek around my pad.

i haven’t updated y’all on some of the changes i’ve made around the old homestead lately, so i thought i’d share a few new finds with you. my dining room (former living room) is still in need of something, but i’m having trouble figuring out just what that might be. i got a cowhide rug from ikea, but maybe a white fluffy rug would warm it up a bit? definitely i need to hang some new artwork! a gallery over the settee, perhaps? any suggestions from y’all are most welcome…what do you think it needs?

i got this great vintage beacon camp blanket from cactus creek to add some color and warm up my mid-century modern bench. and, this is my new settee from urban outfitters. i love the look and it was super affordable. and yet, it looks a little lost…what would keep it in good company?

Comments
55 Responses to “peek around my pad.”
  1. My home is kind of in the same state as yours as I painted everything from grey into white so bare walls.. I personally like to add moodboards to my walls lately … no frames needed and quickly change into a new color or mood.. (like in this post.. http://vosgesparis.blogspot.com/2011/09/serge-gainsbourgh-paris-moodboard.html)

2. Will says:

The little globe is a nice find. And, of course, I love the little JA squirrel! Thanks for the peek, V!

3. christin says:

It’s looking great as usual! Love that settee! If you think it looks lost, maybe something bright like the camp blanket would work with the settee too?

4. Ranu says:

Beautiful and gorgeous!!! I love the way you put things together.

5. nicolezh says:

Thanks for sharing! Your pad has allways been a huge inspiration for me, I would love to see more of your place. I dream of a Apartment Therapy house tour…

6. What a fun peek! I love that you gave the squirrel matches to hold and it’s nice to spot a John Irving book in your collection :)

7. azuree says:

What an inspiring home! I love the little match holding guy! So cute! Don’t you love it when you feel that your home is at a place where you are excited to photograph it?! I’m still working on that feeling for mine ;)

8. Julie says:

Really lovely, Victoria. You’re always an inspiration!

9. sécia says:

I’m in love. What a amazing space to call home.

♥ sécia

10. abigail says:

holy smokes that blanket is phenomenal! And it’s placement at your hearth is perfect, something so awesome should be front and center and the star of the show!!!

love your mantle arrangement as well!

~abigail
    aka tiptoethrough.blogspot.com

11. Jordan says:

Beeeooooootiful. I’m moving in. :)

12. Ooooooo, you have the covetous pink shell chair! Love your place!

13. michel stong says:

I am in the process of moving and redoing, incorporating my stuff with my partners. You are definitely an inspiration.

14. homestilo says:

The throw on the bench has such great and vivid colours- as do the pads on the tulip chairs. How about bringing some of that over to the new settee??

15. Ai says:

Agree with white fluffy rug under the settee, maybe a small coffee table/wooden crate to hold fuzzy blankets to cuddle under during the cold SF nights! Like here: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-safjnmkia3q/tpmyh5pevdi/aaaaaaaaa-0/s06hknlcw_4/s1600/roo_1031.jpg

Love your blog!

16. marla says:

so refreshing :)

17. I like your thoughts about a soft shaggy rug. How about a silvery floor lamp next to the settee, possibly something that hangs over it with a bubble shade. Artwork with a touch of glam in it (photo of your vintage shoes? a Palm Springs hotel scene?) would also add punch.

18. Laura says:

Lovely and inspiring as usual. Yes, the blanket would be great on the couch, too! I wondered about a vintage or modern floral pillow for the settee, possibly knit or even not-too-fussy tapestry, using some warm colors taken from the blanket? I live on the Oregon coast, , so I understand your need to brighten up a gray Pacific winter! I’m drawn to winey reds and warm yellows, myself.

19. Brittany says:

My bags are packed and I’m ready to move in. You are looking for a new roommate right? :)

20. Ms. P&C says:

Lovely! So glad that you’re enjoying your squirrel! It’s actually the candleholder version (since it was one of your picks for the party)… The match strike is a little smaller and has a rough surface to catch the sparks. I think it’s so creative to put matches in this one though – it has so much more stature!

21. Love all the details and updates, Victoria!

Erin @ Dwell & Tell

22. madelene says:

Lovely photos. Where did you get the pretty beige bench in front of your fireplace? I’m looking for something similar to place at the food of my bed! :)

23. Savannah says:

Beautiful home!! I especially love the chalkboard above the couch.

24. Your new settee is very beautiful, and I love the cushion on it. Where is it from?

Greetings from Finland!

25. g. says:

your pad is so inspiring and lovely! thanks so much for sharing!

26. Love the blackboard! Your home looks really lovely.

27. Karlee says:

I love your home! I do agree about the more fluffy rug in the dining room looking more warm and inviting. I think you could do an arc lamp or a big pretty potted plant in the living room with some artwork and it would look fabulous. I am in love with your fireplace and everything else about this space!

28. Andrea says:

I totally love the squirrel!
    Away with the cowhide rug, and please no white fluffy rug! A plain old rag rug or an oriental one would go with your style – this would make the room super-cosy.
    But above all: why are there no plants? It looks a bit “sterile” now …

29. The rocking chair is simply amazing! What great style you have!!

30. Kierston says:

That fireplace and mantle is breath taking! compared to my 70’s stone fireplace…i’m drooling with envy!

31. Cathy-Jean says:

Great space! Where did you get both your book-cases?

• victoria says:

thanks cathy-jean! the low bookcase is the IKEA LACK – and i added wheels to it so i can easily move it (it weighs a lot with all those books!). the other bookcase came with the house – i think it’s just one of those unfurnished bookcases you can buy and paint.

32. Cathy Jean says:

You did a great job. I don’t see anything I would change. I love the white. The one thing at the fireplace I might get, is a new screen. I’m seeing white. A nice white screen. Or pewter. Possibly a single panel. POP!

33. nicole hill says:

my oh my! what a lovely sneak peek!! i realize that i’m a wee bit late to the party, but i’m sure that a floor lamp and/or a tall potted topicary and a small oriental rug to ground the settee should do the trick. oh! or maybe a big chunky floor candle to sit along side your settee for warmth instead of a floor lamp. and your mantel is a show-stopper! i acutally let out a little gaspy sound upon first glance. this just leaves me wanting more views :)

34. Beautiful… but I love your squirrel ornament with the matches most of all! :)

35. So lovely! Where did you find the blackboard and did you do the text on it yourself?! It’s so pretty – I’m redecorating and would love to incorporate something like this…

36. victoria, your place looks amazing! i’m hearing you about the ikea cowhide thing. i have this one in my office as well and because it is more black than white, it really comes off too austere. i think layering is the way to go.

michele

37. sigh… love. your house always seems so bright and airy. always inspiring!

38. emma says:

what a cute place! I’d love to get this settee, urban has such cute furniture but it is comfy/good quality?

• victoria says:

emma – i would say it’s not super A+ quality, but it is in fact SUPER comfy. and it looks great in person. i’ve gotten so many compliments on it from guests. it was affordable and worked for my needs.