vintage finds for a modern world: task lighting.

so my lovely friends and sponsor, mid century modern finds, knew i was looking for a vintage task lamp and came across this one for me. i love it, and have been needing something like this so i can read better from bed (nothing quite comforts me like some sloth-like reading in bed). so now i’m just trying to devise a good way to hang it. anna, daniel and i were bantering about some ideas on twitter last night, but i though i’d put the task to you…any good ideas for hanging this above my bed? i’m all ears! but in the meantime, here’s some industrial looking lighting ideas to perhaps inspire you.

clockwise, l to r: great looking industrial floor lamp via red online; pair of industrial cage light wire covers from every eskimo; george nakashima, via what wilson wants; anthropologie’s far & wide wall sconce; home of David Delfin & Gorka Postigo, via yatzer; designer jeremiah brent via apartment therapy; factory 20 industrial globe pendant lamp; and Ephemera Clip via anthropologie.

a very industrial decor, via johanna vintage; a new spin on the party lampshade, via dada; vintage gooseneck from claire ferranti; Gooseneck Industrial Lamp Art Nouveau Style via countryside peddlar; great kitchen lighting via riazzoli; and the beautiful home office of Marie Olsson Nylander.

Comments
18 Responses to “vintage finds for a modern world: task lighting.”
  1. Linda says:

Attach an L-shaped piece of wood to the wall and clip the lamp to the vertical end. The horizontal piece could be of shallow depth and used just for the lamp (as in: __I ) or a bit deeper to make a small shelf (as in: ___________I ). Paint it the same color as the wall to blend in, or use natural wood or some other color for accent.

2. Julie says:

Sometimes I’m so torn with the industrial look…I think a piece here or there works nicely with it, less is more (in my opinion) with this look. xo Julie

3. What a great round up! I love this kind of lighting! I just found a fun vintage metal desk lamp:http://www.etsy.com/listing/83561265/vintage-yellow-gooseneck-desk-lamp

4. Melanie says:

Victoria – Do you have any recent photos of your bed & wall behind it?

5. Erin says:

I love these looks! I may not have any ideas, but thank you for the inspiration!

6. Could you flip it upside down (rotating the light head/shade around) and hang it?? I really love the industrial lighting roundup. We just hung our new anthropologie chandelier last night! (http://pinterest.com/pin/60061822/)

Kacie

7. able mabel says:

LIght fixtures add a lot to a room. We need new ones in a horrible way. Your post got me thinking….

8. Stuart says:

Hey hun,
    Thanks for the mention… so please I came across your blog this way… its gorgeous :)
    Stu, from http://whatwilsonwants.blogspot.com/

9. michel stong says:

Loving this look, and incorporating it into our new home. Thanks for the great post.

10. The home office of Marie Olsson Nylander really gets me, not only beacuse I´m a swede myself! ;)
    Looking forward to see how the hanging of the lamp turned out!

11. Great post! I love this look. Great inspiration.

12. Angie says:

I think a nice block of salvaged wood mounted to the wall…thick enough to manage the size of the lamp…then clip the light to the wood block. I have been wanting to do this with some old clamp on-swing arm lights that I found.