studio spaces: lisa congdon.

well, this is a super fun post for me! y’all may already be following some our twitter antics and know by now that san francisco-based artist lisa congdon and her lovely girlfriend clay are good pals of mine. we like to tweet on and on about project runway and other interests of ours, and somewhere along the line of lisa’s tweets i found out she had recently redecorated her art studio. so, admiring it from afar was just not enough for me, and i think i just went right ahead and invited myself to photograph it!

and so, lucky you — you get to see lisa’s studio up close and personal too! it’s so smashing — with its tall loft ceilings and exposed brick painted white, and big old skylights to provide lisa with all the natural light she needs to happily paint her days away. and i can assure you, it’s a pretty cool place to hang out — like a mini museum displaying many of the infamous collections that grace the pages of her book, a collection a day. thanks for letting me share, lisa! for more of lisa’s work, visit her brand new blog, website, and etsy shop.

Comments
89 Responses to “studio spaces: lisa congdon.”
  1. Love love this!

I love seeing all the hints of her collections and all of the colour- fantastic.

2. seelvana says:

i loved everything
    i wish i lived there

such a good attitude she has!

♥ the sweater, the watch, the tattoos, the frames! ♥

3. Saskia says:

What an amazing place she made for herself! Love the colors & the wonderful illustrations! And parts of her great collections as part of everyday inspiration!
    Great to see that she has some work of Fiep Westendorp on her wall!
    xoxox

4. Marisa says:

What a fun space! I would expect nothing less from Lisa. Thanks so much for sharing!

5. Anna @ D16 says:

Awesome photos, Victoria!! I love to see where artists do their work, and Lisa is no exception. She is such an inspiration to me both in personal spirit and creative output, and her studio is truly a reflection of those things. Thank you so much to both of you for sharing. :)

6. Megan says:

Wow. This space (and photos!) is great! It’s fun to see that Lisa’s studio is just as colorful and inspiring as her work. Thanks for the peek!

7. gor.ge.ous!!! all of it! the space, the work, your photos victoria, and of course lisa ; )
    what an amazing, creative place… oooh, it just makes me want to make stuff!!
    d. xo

8. Julie says:

Love this post so much! I’m a fan of Lisa’s work and I simply love getting a peek into her studio and she creates her great Art!!! Thanks for the photos and the wonderful inspiration :)

9. Lori Andrews says:

so many amazing things! I could spend a week in there just looking at everything

10. tamerajane says:

Love it! I’ve been toning down bright colors (I don’t know why) & this has me craving them again…

11. what a seriously beautiful and inspiring studio. makes me want to start creating things like crazy!

12. Chrissy says:

It’s not like I don’t have things to do, but I keep coming back here to drool over Lisa’s studio. I’m a crazy “paint everything bright white” lady and it’s just the coolest example of how great it can look. I couldn’t ever be bummed out there. Thanks a ton! (Off to see if you Pinned it all already!)

13. Gerrie says:

Love the beautiful photos you took of my daughter. And, it is always fun to see the old photos of me that lurk in her studio.

• victoria says:

such an honor to share your beautiful daughter’s creative space, gerrie. you have one amazing daughter, and must be so proud. :)

• teri says:

LOL. The apple didn’t fall far from the tree. I see Gerrie’s influence in Lisa’s work…..I am happy to be a collector of BOTH their work!!

14. victoria says:

SO SO HAPPY you all love this as much as i do. it was so much fun to shoot, and to hang out with lisa here. so inspiring to see her world! xo

15. Anne Damon says:

love this space, color, quirkiness. absolutely fantastic and now I’m going to follow your blog! Saw this on Twitter…am taking Holly Becker’s Blogging Your Way class and it’s opening up doors to everywhere. Absolutely love the colorful inspiration…

16. Kathleen says:

LOVE. I love the mix of airiness with pops of color and organically curated vignettes.

P.S. Can’t wait to meet you both in person at Alt! – Kathleen

17. Lisa Congdon says:

Thank you for all your kind words, everyone! Making me so emotional and happy today. And thank you Victoria for so beautifully capturing my workspace!! It is a magical place to create, indeed.

18. kara rane says:

thank You for sharing.
    always so inspiring to see an artists work space.. how all those ideas, Life, and bits of color+materials come together to make Art.

19. Alyssa says:

So fresh! So bright!
    Thank you for sharing this amazing space Victoria.
    I love seeing where all the magic happens :)
    Amazing!
    xx

20. Priscilla says:

How can anyone ever have a bad day in that colorful playground?! I absolutely adore her space.

21. Evita says:

SO inspiring, thank you so much for sharing this!

22. I love the pops of color on the white background! Lovely!

23. Mary Kate says:

The photos, the studio, the art, and Lisa – absolutely stunning.

24. Brenda says:

Beautiful pictures. Great workingspace.

25. Julie says:

Such a great space!

26. i have always liked lisa’s work. just this week i listened to this
    - an inspiring and down-to-earth interview, and i purchased a birch tree print.

great spaces are even better to look at when you know they belong to great people.

thanks for sharing.

27. tracy says:

I’m soo giddy looking at this. Amazing space & Amazing photos, V! I love your selective focusing. Love love LOVE.

I might have to invite myself over to your space, Lisa! You know I’ll bring you cookies!

28. Maggie says:

What a very fun and inspiring space! No wonder Lisa is able to constantly create such awesomeness. Thank you both for sharing.

29. Without doubt this is my favourite post I’ve ever read on your lovely blog. All this colour – it’s right up my street. Love, love, love. P.S. Great snaps, too.

30. Felicty says:

Gorgeous. I love Lisa’s work! Always fun to see people’s studios (more organized than mine!).

31. kickpleat says:

Lisa is completely adorable and her artwork is amazing! Loved this peek into the process and her studio is light and full of inspiring things. Wonderful profile, hooray!!

32. Thanks for those pictures, Victoria! I always love seeing people’s creative spaces, and since I’m currently taking Lisa (and Mati)’s painting class, I’m even more interested. I love the white painted bricks and the unfinished floor that screams “don’t be afraid of working with messy materials”. My only small regret is that Wilfredo is nowhere to be seen (always a treat when Lisa tweets his picture) :).

33. Lisa is just plain awesome! Great tour!

34. Jenna says:

gorgeous! that studio has great bones, and is filled with amazing art. love the bits of color. and that white/grey birches painting leaning against the wall – taking my breath away.

35. Fantabolous, jaw dropping awesomeness!
    Loving lisa, her colors, cute short hair, oink tape, space, patterns.
    So inspiring!

:: Marta

36. susie says:

ahh, i love lisa & love these photos! lisa’s studio is so organized & bathed in light – the kind of inspiring space that totally makes you to get down to being creative. lovely!

37. This is really great! Super inspiring. Thank you for letting us in!

38. jodi says:

fabulous!! and i especially love twitter antics come to life. =)

39. WOw. What a beautiful and inspiring studio space!

40. GORGEOUS! Love the white brick!

41. I’d seen little peeks of Lisa’s studio on Instagram, but this post is amazing. Beautiful colors, energy, illustrations, and photos. Great job on capturing it all, Victoria.

42. Leslie says:

In addition to what everyone else has said, it also strikes me just how consistent and cohesive everything is. Even the paint rag matches the space! Lisa – Beautiful studio. Victoria – wonderful job capturing it in photos. You guys make a good team!

43. Eeli says:

Beautiful studio! Very inspiring place to work!

44. Clay says:

This studio is completely a reflection of Lisa, her creativity, and the way she sees the world. Her studio IS just one big fun art installation. She NEVER has a bad day there, I can assure you! It’s wonderful in person, too…I’m constantly amazed. Victoria, you did an amazing job shooting and capturing this – I love it!

45. Gorgeous! Love the pops of fabulous yellow! Have a wonderful day, Kellie xx

46. leslie says:

what a cheery, happy, inspirational space. thanks for sharing, lisa and victoria!

47. kaela d. says:

looks like she was channeling Mary Blair in those pictures towards the bottom! awesome :)

48. so inspiring!!!
    thanks for letting us peek in
    Amy

49. Lesley says:

Such a great work space! Her studio feels just like her artwork. Thanks so much for the peek inside!

50. Brilliant! So vibrant and intriguing, like Lisa’s art projects.

51. Chelsea says:

I love Lisa’s work and it comes as no surprise that her studio would be as equally amazing as her body of work. You have captured spirit and creativity perfectly!

52. victoria vu says:

beautiful & so light-filled!

the ever joyful color palette she works with reminds me of that of artists megan whitmarsh & patrick hruby. i love it.

thank you for sharing!

53. judit says:

such a happy space! Ligth and bright with vivid colors…awesome!:)

54. Sarah says:

wow. Wow. WOW!! I think I’ve gone into speechless inspiration overload…

55. Zila says:

Drooling all over these images! This is so fantastic!

56. Kimberly says:

Amazing! I love Lisa’s artwork and this studio space is stunning. Thanks for sharing!

57. Elizabeth says:

So amazing! Beautiful photos! Loved seeing it all. Such an inspiration to see Lisa’s space, to see Lisa in her space, where all that wonderful art comes from. Thank you for sharing.

58. so inspiring!
    love lisa’s work :)

59. Marie says:

What a stunning studio! So bright and full of creative energy! Thanks for sharing it with us!

60. Have loved lisa’s work since I first saw her crafty quilt stuff…am now the proud owner of a print and matchbox. Lisa’s work continues to be fresh and inspiring. Thanks for this peek into her clean modern studio…

61. <3 everything about this post — the studio, the photography, the light… just, g'ah. Everything. Thank you for sharing this. :)

62. Love … well, all of it!, but particularly the frame with the vintage portrait photos in it. I’d like to try that with old photos of my grandparents etc. Thank you Victoria (and Lisa!) for great photos!
    mj.x

63. kyndell walsh says:

So inspired and just so happy to be taking the Get Your Paint On course by Lisa & Mati!!

64. ▲▽△▲▽▲
    i love her work ! and her place ,full of beautiful energy,i love the mix between the past and present,really happy place!(and her diamond jumper!!!)
    bonne journée
    sophie
    ▲▽△▲▽▲

65. Igor says:

Amazeballs!!! What a happy studio & I certainly love the bunting:-) Cheers, Igor xoxo

66. Jesse Lu says:

I never get tired of seeing photos of Lisa’s studio. There’s always something whimsical and new to see. And I’m always inspired to get into my workspace when I see her workspace. Thank you both for sharing these fantastic photos… and also thanks for the link the the “My Love For You” podcast. I watched the awesome Sigur Ros documentary today because of listening to that podcast. Plus it was an all around great interview. :)

67. Allyn says:

Great photos of a great space!! I admire Lisa’s work and I love her use of color! I totally envy her skylights, high ceilings and probably everything else about her fabulous career, too ;)

68. bea says:

Wow, how inspiring is that!!
    What makes it really special for me are the prints of some illustrations by Fiep Westendorp, my all-time favourite illustrator!! Awesome!

69. krys says:

Very nice. Love to see other artists studio space. It inspires me to clean mine up!

70. beautiful ! thanks for sharing :)
    x

71. Amanda says:

oh wow. I absolutely love her studio! I’ve been a fan of her work for sometime so what a wonderful peek into her creative space. LOVE!

72. kit & nancy says:

i love love love lisa’s work! thank you for a great feature.

73. I’m OBSESSING over that rainbow ‘MAKE’ poster! is it lisa’s own work? I have to find out how I can own it! Love this post too, Victoria.

Sarah

74. garconniere says:

ONE WORD: IN-CROY-ABLE

75. Donna says:

Thank you! The photos and studion brightened my day.

76. Beautiful shots, what cheerful work and a great studio. Inspired to make…and also to cycle 545 miles too! Well done Lisa on the Aids Life Cycle.