sunday in the city.

this is a side of san francisco that i rarely share – the more suburban side. there’s this funny little neighborhood lucy and i pass on our way to and from fort funston every weekend. and the shrubs? well, they just make me smile. it’s almost as if each neighbor tries to out fancy the other with their bizarre topiary skills. anyway, today i stopped and shot a couple. i call it ‘attack of the mad suburban shrubbery’.

Comments
20 Responses to “sunday in the city.”
  1. Emily says:

They remind me a little of poodles! How funny!

2. Fun! I am sure the neighbours DO try to out do each other!!

3. mel says:

These are hilarious. However, I must admit, I am a bit competitive. If I lived in this neighbourhood I might have to go all Edward Scissorhands on their asses ;)

4. Jen says:

I think those shrubs must be a San Francisco tradition, and still one of the things I love most about the city. When I was a kid, one of my favorite things about visiting San Francisco was seeing the landscaping at the homes of my parent’s friends — the plants were always in so many different shapes!

5. Giulia says:

These are cute and I find they suit the architecture. I have cedar hedges and don’t do anything to them and therefore don’t really like them…maybe I should take it up a notch and get those clippers out!

6. Someone has got some serious topiary skills going on – crikes! Fun snaps, V!

7. Wow, is this real??!! How awesome. Exactly what I imagine when I think of the SF suburb. Love it!

8. lei says:

Haha! This is awesome! They must either have a great community sense of humour, or some kind of competition going on :)

9. victoria says:

there are blocks and blocks of these houses. all of the south san francisco is covered in these “little boxes on the hillside”. there’s something a little stepford about them, but charming in their own way, too.

10. Jesse Lu says:

I used to walk past a lot of house like this… on the east side of 19th Ave… walking between my house at 10th and Lawton and classes at San Francisco State University. All those funny shrubs would make me giggle and smile like crazy on those walks. Some of the most interesting architecture and landscaping are to be found in those ‘suburban’ neighborhoods. It looks straight out of Edward Scissorhands or something.

11. Lisa Congdon says:

San Francisco is so unique!! I love our city.

12. Lee says:

I love that neighborhood! I like driving through there on my way home from Funston, too. I adore the architecture, bright colors, and wacky shrubs. You captured some great shots! -Lee

13. Colin says:

I’ve never really thought about it before you pointed it out, but it does seem that SF in general has a lot of strange shrubs and hedges!

14. Karen says:

The shrubs and trees here always reminds me of a Dr. Seuss book.

15. Chelsea says:

hehe, silly people! love the brightly colored homes though. the midwest doesn’t see much of that, and if a person does paint their home a bright color they are considered rather strange :(

16. dgm says:

I never realized until I moved away from SF that these shrubs were so unusual, so I appreciate them even more now. They always make me think of Dr. Seuss books, too (like Karen). I used to pass that neighborhood going from Daly City (the Westtlake area) to my aunt’s house in Twin Peaks.