into orbit.

i have finally, finally hung my patrick townsend white orbit chandelier. i’ve only had this collecting dust in my garage for, oh, a year or so. i loved this pendant lamp at first site when i saw it hanging in the curiosity shoppe — but for some reason i just couldn’t pull the trigger on whether i should hard wire it to the ceiling, or hang it with the cord it came with.

i went with hard wire, and i added a faux ceiling medallion to add a little vintage contrast to the modern fixture. the orbit comes in black, too, and makes a pretty striking statement. you can find them at areaware. townsend design makes some other pretty fabulous lighting fixtures, too — like the awesome string lamp. here’s a peek at a few other looks.

the lovely artist ashley g has one in her dining room, too!

this orbit is via kristi steffen creative blog.

fair folks and a goat b&b in new orleans has one hanging, via designtripper.

and i had to add one more i almost forgot about — Josh and Helen’s place via dwell.

Comments
51 Responses to “into orbit.”
  1. judith b. says:

It’s looking awesome, Victoria: 2012 is now in orbit!
    Happy New Year!

2. kim says:

holy cow, looks stupendous.

3. Wow, Fair Folks and a Goat did a great job with the entire space!! The chandelier just adds to it all.

4. Mandi says:

I’ve been eying this lamp for a while, since I’ll finally be moving into a house where I can change lighting fixtures. I like it’s quirky style, but am still thinking about going for a vintage fixture. Howeverrrrr… you posting about this light just confirms my love for it, because I usually enjoy the same style of interiors as you. Ah! Well, I’m glad you have finally installed yours. You’ll have to let us know how it works for you the more you live with it.

5. Jenn Ski says:

Perfect for my dinning room!

6. sami says:

omg, love and want one!!!!

love the mix of modern+ vintage.
    xo
    sami

7. that is really cool and looks great in all colors!

8. erin says:

yowza. looking good.

9. Alexa says:

I want. It looks amazing…just the right about of flair for a home.

10. Kristen says:

Just simply amazing! So glad you hung it up and we all finally get to see it! :)

11. MamaChilanga says:

I want those poufs from the last photo… Anyone have any guesses?

12. victoria says:

thanks you guys – i also put it on a dimmer and it’s just lovely at night!

13. anna k. says:

Okey, now I have myself a new obssession :)

14. YES! Love these, we have the white one hanging in our entry way. It looks great in your space, It ads another layer of dimension!

15. Wally says:

What a great lamp – I thought I knew my lamp ABC but this lamp I didn’t know! Love it!

16. Meagan says:

What a fabulous light! I especially love the mix of a modern fixture with the traditional medallion!

17. i love your home!! it is so beautiful!! and with every addition, it just gets more beautiful. you have such a great eye!

18. nicole says:

wow! what an impact this baby makes in your dining room! bravo on pairing it with the faux ceiling medallion, it pulls the whole look together in your home. it all looks smashing, love it! you are so funny that it’s taken all of this time for you to drag this bad boy out :) well worth the wait i’d say. you are just so talented darling! oxo

19. nicole says:

ps. i love what you did with your “V’s” in your little nook!

20. jena says:

it looks super pretty in your space, love it!

21. looks fabulous in your place!
    i remember seeing it in dwell.

love the collection of Vs in the background, too.

22. love!!! and so smart with the vintage medallion… this is officially in my “dream house” folder!

23. maria del campo says:

I love it! you have such great taste.

24. That kitchen in the last pic is dreamy! Just like what we have planned for our kitchen reno, might need to purchase one of those amazing light fittings!! :D

25. Megan says:

Just added that to my wish list of things for the next home!!!! Dang, I love your blog.

26. Cathy Jean says:

Yowzer. Very cool. How many fireplaces can one girl have as well!?? When is your next shop appearance? Would love to meet you.

• victoria says:

thanks cathy jean! this is a faux fireplace mantel. i got it at ohmega salvage in berkeley. it’s bolted to the wall, and i just move it around with me.

no shop appearance’s scheduled right now, but will announce them here if something comes up. :)

• Cathy Jean says:

Look forward to it! I just recently met the owner of Omega Salvage 2. She is really nice. Another cool place for fixtures of the lighting sort!.. I’m going to look for a faux mantle. They are really cool and timeless.

27. I love it! Such a statement piece.

28. ashley g says:

Eeeeh!! I am so happy yours is up! It of course looks perfect in your space. And the only reason I have mine is from seeing it on your blog and falling in love!

29. Anamu says:

oh i LOVE it! The contrast with the ceiling medallion makes all the difference – great move. Can’t believe it was tucked away for over a year….you must reeaalllyyy be enjoying it now!

30. Penny Patten says:

Awesome Time Out Chair! Great colors too!

31. Chyme says:

That is so pretty!

32. Julie says:

Looks really great Victoria!

33. mona says:

so gorgeous!! I love the combination of the ceiling medalion and modern lamp! you have a great sense of style! thanks for the inspiration!

34. I’ll bet in the dark this looks seriously cool!

35. I love it so much! It’s got me looking at my IKEA fixture over my dining room table now pretty hard. Have a great weekend Victoria!

36. Valerie Rose says:

I love all t hings modern, but these may blind me into next year! I like soft low lighting, and wonder are these intense on the energy bill? Wow, that is a lot of light bulbs! :)

• victoria says:

they’re actually quite soft – less the 10 watts each, and on a dimmer. i also really only use it when guests come over, not every day, so hopefully, not too intense a bill. :)

37. kim says:

I’ve been thinking of getting this light but became hesitant when I read it was a “plug in”. It looks like you (and some others) have hard wired it. Can I ask, did you hire an electrician to do this, change out your light box in the ceiling for a plug box, or did you rewire it yourself?

Thanks :)

• victoria says:

hi kim,
      i did have an electrician come. he charged me $60 to hardware it to the existing wires that were there from the previous fixture. i’m afraid of electricity, but it did look pretty simple, so i think it could be done by yourself.

good luck!

38. Fashion-isha says:

I love this fixture it’s amazing and unique! Hope you stop by and check out my latest giveaway!
    xo
    Sharon

39. Julia says:

Hi- I love my Orbit too, so fun! But where do you buy replacement bulbs?

Thanks!

40. mia says:

I love this lamp so much and just came across yours while doing an image search. Im thinking of putting in over my kitchen table, just wondering how bright it is. I really need to light the whole room sometimes!