anthology in amsterdam.

it seems like eons ago, but last summer i spent some time in amsterdam, but i couldn’t chat about it because i was on a special assignment for anthology magazine to cover the city, so it was a bit on the hush-hush. but the new issue of anthology is out, and my story lives on its pretty pages, so now i can tell you what a wonderful trip it was! the story includes a shopping & dining reference guide, in case you happen to be headed to amsterdam anytime soon, including the amazing 9 straatjes (or 9 streets) — blocks and blocks of some of the best cafes, boutiques and vintage shops i’ve ever come across.

these photos above and in anthology magazine were photographed by marjon hoogervorst, but i took a whole bunch of my own as well, so i’ve been hankering to share just how beautiful amsterdam really is with you for a while now! for the full article, check out the latest issue of anthology, and you can subscribe here. you can also see all my photographs from the trip here on flickr.

Comments
44 Responses to “anthology in amsterdam.”
  1. Mazel Tov- The photographs look gorgeous- Makes me miss Amsterdam for sure.

2. christine says:

Its lovely to see Amsterdam quiet. I made the mistake of my first trip to Amsterdam being Queens Day weekend….whole city turned into an outdoor club…wouldn’t recommend going that weekend. LOL

3. Jill says:

Great pictures!! Congratulations on your article. Amsterdam is definitely on my list of places to go in the near future.
    Jill

4. What with your piece and Justina’s jungalow, this issue looks set to be the best yet!

5. Oh, wow! It looks AMAZING! I have to check out that issue!
    Cheers,
    Savannah Marie

6. Margot says:

Amazing photographs of Amsterdam, I’ll have to get a copy of this issue of Anthology magazine since I’m currently living in Amsterdam. Want to see more recent photos? Check out my blog, http://maevdkrogt.wordpress.com, featuring my daily musings in Amsterdam. Thanks for your photographs :)

7. Kait says:

Beautiful – can’t wait to get my hands on a copy. Amsterdam is definitely on the list. x

8. Lisbeth says:

Ahhhh, Amsterdam. Understand your enthusiasm. That city is absolutely fabulous.

9. Jennifer says:

A.) So excited to see the next issue of Anthology hit my mailbox.
    B.) LOVES me some Amsterdam! If I ever live outside of the U.S, it will be in Amsterdam. Can’t wait to read your article!

10. Jenn Corbo says:

Such a timely article as I am visiting Amsterdam in a few weeks. Lovely photos. Thank you for sharing this project with me.

11. gorgeous!!! Love Europe! Love Amsterdam! just subscribed to Anthology!!!

12. Barb says:

Wonderful, can’t wait to see the article. Congrats also on being named by Mashable as being one of the 21 Must-Follow Pinterest Users yesterday!

13. Igor says:

Perfect! Love the story! Reminds me of my ‘From Place To Space’ blog series – of course your Antho story is more professional:-) Great work!

14. Kate says:

Really gorgeous photographs. Sounds like an amazing trip.

15. sécia says:

Amazing. Totally bookmarking this for my travels.

♥ sécia

16. so gorgeous victoria! nothing like ‘sunday in the city’ when that city is amsterdam?!?!

17. These pictures could inspire people to travel. Thank you for posting.

18. Julie says:

One word…dreamy!

19. katherine says:

Having spent 2 months in the Netherlands, i think you captured the beauty of the city. How did you manage to find a sunny day? You have powers beyond my imagination!

20. ooo headed to Anthro to pick up a copy today :)
    I would have had to tote that poodle rocker home, adorable!!!
    Amy

21. Sandra says:

If I wasn’t Canadian, I’d choose to be Dutch or Danish or Swedish – such style! Lovely, inspiring photos in both execution and how you presented them here. Congrats on the issue too…

22. Dottie says:

Oh oh oh! This makes me want to call Virgin Air right now and book a flight. How wonderful would that be!

But until then, I’m going to head to the closest book store/magazine rack and pick up this magazine right now! Yay!

23. nicole says:

may i just say that i loooove Shauna & Stephen’s latest updates to their breathtaking loft space!!! that bed looks fantastic in there! both lofts are stunning. i’m going to have to purhcase this issue, my fave thus far! congrats on your oh so pretty work Victoria. just spent 1/2 hour touring your Flickr :) oxo

24. Casey says:

I heard Amsterdam was a lovely place, but these photos blow me away! And the hollyhocks on the sidewalks? Those little beauties did it for me. I was planning a trip to London in the Fall, but I may have to switch it for Amsterdam…

25. Wow! I almost died when I saw that black building with the vibrant red-orange door. So cool! I have never been to Europe (how sad!) and this is very inspiring!

26. Beautiful! Reminds me of my trip there, especially those hollyhocks. I haunted the vintage clothing stores and bead stores. Charmed by bicycles and houseboats too!

27. Yvonne says:

That looks so great! I have very fond memories of Amsterdam. It was the first vacation with my husband when we dated and we even had dinner at the Struisvogel. Such a pity one cannot get the mag in Germany or Korea. So I will have to look at your Flickr-pictures!
    Yvonne

28. Shawnte says:

Beautiful photos! I never knew what Amsterdam looked like until now. I really want to travel around Europe someday!

29. Lindsey says:

This is so cool. Congratulations! Can’t wait to read the article.

30. tifanie says:

i am really happy to discover this magazine. stunning! i’ve just subscribed!! only thing, is i can’t seem to get my paws on a copy of issue 6. any ideas? i’m totally in love with all the photos i saw in the preview in there…

:::

31. Amsterdam is such a fantastic, friendly city! My parents first took me when I was about 12 and have been going ever since whenever I get the chance.

The feature looks lovely! Some really gorgeous photos.

32. Dionne says:

I am so lucky to live near one of the most beautiful cities in the world! But If you all come, please don’t forget all the other towns like Leiden, Haarlem, Delft (I could go on..) full of history and inspiration. This week is a good time: It started to freeze and we’ll be skating on the canals soon!

33. claire says:

How timely – I am headed there for a quick trip this very weekend! :)

34. Mummylish says:

Fabulous photos! I lived in Amsterdam for 10 years, a wonderful, inspirational city…

35. Amy Dowell says:

I love these photos. So bright and vivid.

36. Considering my best friend from childhood is from Amsterdam it is shocking that I have never been – it looks amazing and it’s on my list :-)

37. Lo says:

I live around the corner from there. These photos really capture that part of Amsterdam, great job. It’s strange to see the place you live featured in such a cool magazine, but loving every part of it!