vintage finds for a modern world: brand new life.

sometimes i like to think about different purposes for vintage finds. i’m headed to the alameda flea market tomorrow (as i write this on saturday), and i like some of these ideas for giving new life to old objects. i love hilda grahnat’s repurposed coat hanger turned eyeglasses holder. i guess that’s the heart of re-purposing in a nutshell — reinventing vintage finds to suit your modern needs. i’d like to know — much like that feature in real simple magazine “new uses for everyday items” — do you have any fun ideas you’d like to share of a vintage find turned into all new treasure? i’d love to hear them.

i love old camp stools. they’re so charming, and rustic, and make an excellent place for stacking and displaying favorite books or collectibles. this one’s from bella lulu.

vintage cash register price flags just look interesting displayed — i love their tin shapes and old typefaces, via lackluster co.

earth sea warrior continues to make the most incredible vintage-inspired lighting fixtures — Vintage Antique Art Deco Glass Bullet Lamps have been beautifully revamped with unique color cloth cords. or this fixture (below) a white and yellow plug and silver pull chain socket have been added for extra cool vintage flare.

trampoline is at it again, with great ideas for repurposing vintage finds — i love her idea of uses muffin pans for displaying votive candles. they’re great for stashing jewelry, too.

A Vintage Wood & Porcelain Toothbrush Holder makes the perfect spot to store your paint brushes, and looks so pretty, too — from love vintage finds.

Vintage metal Drawer makes the perfect spot for stashing stationery, postcards or office supplies, from hindsvik.

Vintage 1960s French language flashcards can be perfect for framing — these would be great near a coat closet or in a young boy’s bedroom, from gin & tonic shop.

Comments
15 Responses to “vintage finds for a modern world: brand new life.”
  1. I would gladly let you redecorate my apartment :)

2. Hope you have great success at the market! Love those flashcards.

3. nicole says:

this is a very cool & creative post! can hardly wait to see what you bring home from the flea market. oxo

4. Cathy Jean says:

Yes me too! I want to know what you came home with yesterday! Isn’t it incredible the view from the Market? I love it there. I lived in Alameda for 30 years. I was going to go yesterday but opted for staying in my pj’s!.. Re-purpose: I like to stack things- I have an old bench (not too long or high) that is a nice plum color, that I have on-top of a white sideboard cabinet from Crate and Barrel. I use the legs of the bench as book ends, while all the books inside the legs, are stacked like soldiers, and the top of the bench I have all my treasure’s I have collected from estate sales. (I’m going to do the muffin tin candle thing for my 10 year old friend who loves to take baths with candles. What a cute idea!) Safe too!

5. Alexa says:

Victoria, once again you’ve blown my mind with the vintage muffin tins idea. Genius!

6. I think my fave idea is the muffin tin as a votive or jewelry holder! So cute!
    We use a vintage bar stool (actually, it’s an barstool from the house of blues, so cool!) as a lamp table next to our sofa!
    Have a lovely Monday.
    Cheers,
    Savannah Marie

7. Sheena Croft says:

I love using old cheese graters to hang my earrings. Maybe I’ll send you a pic via twitter!

8. julia says:

ditto to savannah marie- i love the muffin tin as jewelry holder idea- i have an odd eight cup vintage muffin tin and definitely need a better jewelry storage solution. perfect! thanks for the idea.

9. Lizzie says:

Brilliant ideas, love the baking tin candle holders!

10. Jill says:

great collection here- thanks for including me!
    jill
    bellalulu vintage

11. jennifer says:

Alameda Antique was PERFECT yesterday! I hop you found some goodies!

12. ursula says:

love love and adore.

many thanks victoria. you rool :)

cheers!

ursula
    EarthSeaWarrior

• victoria says:

you are most welcome, ursula. i need to find a place to hang one. i am quite “lighting-heavy” at the moment, but i’ll figure it out. in the meantime, i’ll live vicariously through those who bring one home. :)

13. Tiffanie says:

I am “stealing” that tea-lights-in-muffin-tin idea!

My daughter’s room (as seen at Apartment Therapy, see link below) has several repurposed items. There are old architectural beam detail samples as bookends, a vintage medicine cabinet over her play kitchen sink, a vintage coke crate for her cups and things, and if you go a little deeper into the Apartment Therapy article, a big room divider/bookshelf I made from a collection of vintage farm crates, screwed and cabled together.

But perhaps my favorite “creative reuse” in our place is my set of stacked Utrecht flat file units which now serve as a changing table!

14. Molly Block says:

I love all these ideas, especially the repurposing of the muffin pan.

As for other vintage-finds-turned-new-treasure ideas to share here, several (via the Unconsumption Tumblr — to which I contribute) come to mind, though I suspect you’re familiar with many of them! :)

Among my faves is this new use for vintage belts: http://unconsumption.tumblr.com/post/4556209379/diy-project-du-jour-got-an-old-lawn-chair

Neat idea, isn’t it?