THINKING PINK.

i’ve been trying to figure out what the heck to do with my dining room for a while now. i hung the patrick townsend white orbit chandelier, but since i painted over the black walls, it’s been just looking terribly drab in there – lacking drama! so last night, i got this idea — what if i went pale, pale pink and added some kind of statement piece, as those in the know like to call it (clench your teeth and say it all fancy-like: staaatemeent peeece). so here’s what i’m doing. wish me luck!

i’ve painted the walls benjamin moore’s ‘wispy pink’ – it’s real pretty and adds a light glow to the room. then, i ordered anthropologie’s etched arcadia mural, which i’m going to hang on the wall loosely – like a tapestry. at least in theory, that’s what i want to do — i like the idea of it feeling a bit 3-dimensional. then, i ordered west elm’s grommeted iron velvet drapery panels for the window, and their Industrial Pipe curtain Rod in rubbed iron — it’s got a loft-curtain feeling that i really like, and kind of tones down the idea of velvet, if that makes any sense — perhaps more edgy.

i’m also adding west elm’s souk rug. i’ve been hankering for it since they brought it for the catalog shoot, and had to have one. this will all live with my dining room set, and then, i think i’ll hang rico suave above the buffet — that will be on the alternate wall, across from the mural wall. and the faux white fireplace mantel will live at the end wall. voilá! i hope this works as well as it does in my head!

Comments
45 Responses to “THINKING PINK.”
  1. I made a book shelf out of that pipe work (plumber’s every day hardware) and stained wood for $50. You can probably make that curtain rod for less that that!! It is very easy!!

2. Sandra says:

How about using large bulldog clips to hang the mural?

3. ileana says:

this sounds like it will look fantastic. I love the portrait. The mural with the pale pink walls and gray velvet, I think will be divine.

4. Kimberlyblok says:

This will look fabulous! Keep Rico:)

5. Can’t wait to see the end results! Great shade of pink. I am all for PINK. I recently went through a few pints of Benjamin Moore in search of the perfect pink. Will have to check this one out in person. I went with “gentle butterfly”.

6. LaurelStreet says:

That mural is captivating – I love it. What a find. And I think that pale pink would be a treat.

7. It sounds like it’ll be lovely! I really like the colour combo (whispy pink is such a good name!) I think Rico Suave should def stay… and not just because he’s co-ordinating with the palette :)

8. Julie says:

My dining room needs some serious love too…I have to figure out paint color too and I think after that it will fall into place. I like what you chose, it looks like it will go nicely with your style. Happy decorating!

9. Ana says:

I love whimsy pink.

10. EB says:

Rico definitely stays!

11. I love the sound of PINK. I cannot wait to see photos!!!

12. Jenn says:

Oh. My. Gosh. I love that mural!! It makes my heart flutter! I just love old illustrations, especially the trees…

13. alison rae says:

yes! i love it! every year about this time, i start obsessing with pale pink… it starts with buying quince blossoms (which would look amazing in your room), in the middle of january in minnesota.
    we move into our first home in a couple weeks, and the bathroom trim is that very color… i’m in love.
    and that mural is amazing.
    xo,
    alison rae

14. I have to admit, I’d be terrified of trying to incorporate pink myself, but I loved what I saw in your breakfast nook! It looks divine.

15. Kathy says:

I LOVE those pink chairs! Can you tell me where they are from?

16. Just so you know, it works well in my head too!!! :)
    Can’t wait to see it come together!

Rico suave should hook up with Claudia, the painting in my dining room!

17. Celine says:

Actually, we say La Palette not Le Palette… Sorry Victoria!… But anyway it’s a really great great color palette!

18. love it all. i’ve been eyeing the orbit for awhile. looks great.

19. Jennifer says:

SO JEALOUS! I’ve been lusting after that mural on Anthro since it went up on their website. It is a bit big for the wall I want to use it on and I’d have to cut it down to size which scares me. Can’t wait to see how it turns out. LOVE LOVE LOVE it all!

20. Rae Kaiser says:

Love the color palette and Rico. It will be stunning.

21. Lindsey says:

this all sounds fabulous, especially the souk rug. I’m dying to find a place in my home for it.

22. Nick says:

As a dude, not too big on pink…..but this is totally fantastic.

23. Yvonne says:

Such a wonderful palette! I could just go out and buy some paint! I painted a wall in our bedroom in this pale Pink ( it was called Notting Hill in Germany) and it broght in so much light and freshness. And I am loving the grey and Black accents here to make it not so girly looking!
    The mural is great and Rico just has to stay – he is perfect for this room!
    Enjoy! Yvonne

24. S@sha says:

I’ve been eyeing that mural too, so I can’t wait until you install it and I can see it in the context of a real home! The pink is nice too.

25. sécia says:

Seriously can’t wait to see it! Loving the pink idea.

♥ sécia

26. Chelsea says:

You’ve had rico for forever, he has to stay!! I remember admiring him years ago when I first started reading your blog. I adore him! (And you!)

27. Visual Jill says:

Love this combo. I used to have my master bedroom painted a pale pink and in the bright sunlight it looked almost white, but a wonderful creamy white. Once I got married, I had to say goodbye to the pink walls — alas!

28. Nicole says:

I just got instantly jealous. Like, REALLY jealous. Can I just go ahead and do this whole thing in my house too?

It’s going to look SO GOOD.

29. elena says:

Was thinking pink today after I saw an episode of Dear Genevieve on HGTV. She was designing a NY apartment. LOVED it. Pink has always been my favorite color. ;)

30. Sarolta says:

I am so much looking forward to the first pictures when you are done! The plans are fantastic!

31. kelly camille says:

I have been considering that same mural for my house so I am dying to see how it turns out. Do you have any idea how large it is when hung? Seems huge!

32. nicole says:

you had me at wispy pink! love, love, love the color. my old bedroom was a pale lilac and it made me very happy in the morning. if you can pull off that mural install then you will be opening up a lot of doors for us current renters my dear! best of luck and God speed :) i can’t wait to see it! oxo

33. linda sheehan says:

Lovely colors (I’m also feeling very pink these days) balanced with some industrial elements.
    I agree with balancing metal with velvet.
    However ,that painting should go.It’s time for showcasing tacky thrift shop paintings to be over!

34. Brandy says:

I love the color palette. I’m doing a similiar vibe in my bedroom.

35. Hi, Just came over from the Laurel Street Blog. I love the mural, I’d love it! Your dining room plan sounds lovely – I love pink too!!

Sharon

36. oh wow….you found it. THE perfect pink, seriously. love, love…..SO want to paint a room in my house with this color. ANY room. sigh. Love the mural, the rug, the curtains…it is going to be gorgeous. Brilliant.
    xo
    Melis

37. VEHuckins says:

love the color and it will make everyone look good sitting in the room.