the jealous curator: art goes here.

hello! it’s danielle from the jealous curator, and i’m back with something a little bit different this week. i have always loved hanging art, changing it around, adding new pieces etc – maybe as much as victoria loves switching her living room and dining room around! so, here’s what i’m thinking – i’m going to take an interior {found somewhere on the always inspiring sfgirlbybay}, and add some of my favorite art to the space! and, because i have a hard time making final decisions about such things, i’ll show you a few possibilities for each space. i hope you like it! ok, let’s start off with this week’s pretty space – a simple, airy home office:

so lovely, right? but i want, no i’m sorry, i need to hang some art in there! my first thought was to gather up a whole bunch of tiny, vintage looking portraits by oregon based artist elizabeth bauman, and hang them in a little cluster, like this:

love! oh, or maybe just three simple, absolutely gorgeous textile assemblages {all of which are 22”x18”} by vancouver based artist jessica bell. i think the colors and textures in these pieces are fantastic,  don’t you?!

see – gorgeous! now, the other option is to ‘go big or go home’! this huge {60”x48”!!!}  pen on canvas piece by korean born, brooklyn based artist il lee is definitely in that camp:

gah! amazing. and created using only blue ball point pen – kinda perfect for a home office, no?

well that was fun! virtual rearranging might be exactly what i need! see you back here in a couple of weeks with a new room, and more art. if you have any suggestions for spaces, or pieces you’d like to see hung, please leave a comment here, and let me know! ~ the jealous curator

Comments
45 Responses to “the jealous curator: art goes here.”
  1. Meredith says:

YES! Love this idea and the selections! Keep them coming!

2. Elizabeth says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! :)

3. of course elizabeth! i think your work looks perfect in there! ; )

4. mosey says:

Whoa, I really love your ideas. I’m always stumped as to how to hang our ‘art’. We’re moving into our first very own(ed) place soon and all we have are framed maps. I love maps but crave quirk and color. I love that textile art by jessica bell!

5. Sandra says:

Great idea to show different ways to hang different artwork in different locations!

And I have a suggestion for a space – above my bed in the master bedroom. Should I zoom you a photo for you to take a look at?

6. Mary says:

Great post and lovely picks, as always! :)

7. kiti says:

what a nice idea! i adore tha last art work!

8. victoria says:

so awesome! thanks @jealouscurator – i think this something we all struggle with – where and how to hang the art! :)

9. Bobbi says:

I love the Il Lee ball point pen works! I’d never seen them before; thanks for showing this.

10. Alexa says:

Love love the picks! :)

11. wendy says:

love the large piece in pen by il lee. happy to have been introduced to an amazing new artist.
    thanks!

12. Suhita says:

Love the large piece! And this post. What a great idea.. and it’s good to know everyone struggles with what art goes where!! :)

13. The il lee piece is unique and talk about a pop of color! But since the room is so simple and minimalist, I’d probably go with the cluster of Jessica Bell’s pieces. I can almost concoct a story of how all of the people featured in them are related…

14. Igor says:

Great ideas, Victoria, and so hands-on!! Love this idea of a practical blog post! Cheers from Germany, Igor

15. Tricia Kennedy says:

This is great, but I don’t understand do you just throw ideas around or do you actually hang the art in the space? I’d like the big one there if it were actually inset in the wall, or perhaps on the other wall, if it were to be on the wall you’ve laid out it would need to take a step back somehow or you’d never get any work done, because it would be like starring at an ocean you cant swim in on a hot summers day.

I’d actually like the space to stay completely clear and white and have two big artworks hung out side on each side of the big window like two open French shutters angled so when you look up from your work and look right that work comes into view and and perspective and same with the left.

Am excited to find this blog and your jealous curator blog, I am really grateful for the work you are doing and the quality content you are creating making available on the web!!!

16. Lyn says:

What a great idea. I admire the second option; perfect sizing, perfect coloring, fits in so well. Keep these coming.

17. Kathleen says:

Genius. I feel like this series is going to give me the kick in the pants I need to collect and hang some art in my own home. And if I had to vote my favorite here is the BIG Il Lee piece.

18. I know this web page offers quality based content and other data, is there any other web page which gives these kinds of things in quality?

19. robin says:

I personally like the il lee piece, but it may just over dominate that wonderful desk! so I’d probably have to go with Elizabeth’s work for scale – note my husband does large blue abstract paintings and they definately cannot be ignored – not a plus for your office nook..

20. Excellent post. I used to be checking continuously this blog and I am inspired! Extremely helpful info particularly the final part :) I deal with such info much. I was looking for this particular info for a very lengthy time. Thank you and best of luck.

21. marine says:

Great idea!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. Lee says:

Thank you for this post. I really struggle with what to do with my huge (and mostly bare) walls. I always thought I’d need to find one single large piece, so it’s nice to see alternative options.

23. Anne H says:

What a great idea! I am so glad that I have visited your site. Such a wonderful time reading this.

24. Amy says:

Love these ideas- fantastic! Especially love the home office/ballpoint mural option. Thanks so much – do it again!!

25. Go big or go home! I vote for The Big One. Great article!

26. becky says:

All awesome choices – I cannot imagine filling 20 square feet with a ballpoint pen! I especially love Elizabeth’s kinda Alex Katzian sensibility. Just so striking and they look deceptively simple, but they aren’t.

27. Jo says:

What a really clever post!-
    (would have been even better had you Photoshopped the images on the wall spaces!)

I’m a new subscriber (and blogger)- what fun!
    Jo

28. Great idea! Would love to see what you do with a stairwell!

29. leah says:

I saw Il Lee’s work at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York and at a gallery in TriBeCa. They are big as the wall and so very contemporary. What a great choice!

30. Sarolta says:

This idea of different imaginary art arrangements is so great. I love, love, love it!

31. thank you! i’m so excited to post the next one! : )

32. I love this concept and I feel the need to thank you for being the only lifestyle blog I’ve come across with a strong focus on original art (I’m referring to sfgirlbybay.com here but I do intend to check out The Jealous Curator too). As an artist, I thank you. x

33. caren says:

Oh, the BIG one for sure!! It’s such a bold statement in a minimalist room.

Gorgeous space btw. I have tremendous light envy!

34. I love them all, but I reallyreallyreally love the last one! Very cool!

35. Maggie says:

Hi Danielle!
    I thought that you (and Victoria) might like to check out Jenn Shifflet, a Bay Area artist who I just discovered in Oakland Art Murmur: http://margaretedith.wordpress.com/2012/02/13/i-like-you-jenn-shifflet/
    Really beautiful stuff!
    Maggie

36. Home Shirt says:

Woah! I’m really enjoying the template/theme of this website. It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s very difficult to get that “perfect balance” between user friendliness and visual appearance. I must say that you’ve done a very good job with this. Additionally, the blog loads very fast for me on Opera. Superb Blog!

37. Jessie says:

This is such a fun post! I love it!!

38. Nim says:

Wow – love this post! Is it possible to get a print of the work by il lee??? must have it!