garden under glass.

i love the look of exotic looking plants living under glass, with green bits of moss peeking out from their containers. i’ve had an old cloche bell jar i picked up at paxton gate, a wonderful local purveyor of all things unusual in the mission district, but i thought he looked a little lonely. so yesterday when at west elm, i saw they they’re now carrying a a large collection of indoor gardening containers by shane powers, so i just had to get this tall cloche to complement its smaller vintage mate. they seem quite happy together, and i do hope they thrive (i.e. i don’t kill the pretty green things).

Comments
21 Responses to “garden under glass.”
  1. Igor says:

There’s a real terrarium mania going on these days:-) I’d love to have a little one with succulents.

2. These containers are to die for!!!! I gotta get on this whole indoor garden/terrarium thing.

3. Keren says:

I wrote a how-to create Terrariums and Cloche’s on my blog The Walk Up. If you want to learn more DIY for these indoor gardens, click click:

Although stores sell these items for about $30-200, I created three terrariums for under $6.00 apiece!

4. Katelyn says:

Looks fabulous! Thanks for showing our store lots of love, Throw another party with us soon!

5. hannah says:

lovely creations! i am diggin’ the containers you used. especially the cloche!
    you’ve inspired me, i need a bit of green around here to counteract the blizzards!

enjoy your monday xo

6. nice job. i love plants : )

7. vera says:

love paxton gate! love those containers! and super bummed i missed the west elm event.

8. Wendy says:

Love the pink colour on the wall. Will you be showing us your newly painted place or did I miss it?

9. Bernie Wong says:

Beautiful Cloche,

Green and White Ladyslipper orchid, one of my favorite flowers!

10. Laura says:

Love plant domes! Though they are terrifying to clean when they’re huge and unwieldy as I at work one day…

11. love it! beautiful and cat-save!

12. Debra says:

Rico looks super happy among the tropical foliage, love the new cloche.

13. Lauren says:

Super cute! :) I love it!

14. Creth says:

were you on Small Space Big Style?? I recognize the painting in the background of one of your photos from an episode… either that was you (on the episode, not in the painting) or the painting is/was a mass reproduction. anyway, small world, right?

15. So pretty, love the mix of the painting and the bells (love, love, love that painting! seen it before in photos from your home). I have to try to get hold of some airplants to put in little hanging round glass things I bought a few weeks ago. (I bought mine in Sweden but I know West Elm has simular, in fact they look just the same). Are the air plants as easy to take care of as they say?

16. mara says:

Don’t plants need oxygen to thrive?

17. Cathy Jean says:

I was inspired by your table.. and so made one of these yesterday in a Steuben glass bowl. (I could never figure out what to do with it for almost 20 years!) It’s perfect. I put sand in and some rocks, moss and a miniature conk shell and a precious air plant ready to bloom a red flower.. Voila!

18. I think that cactuses are so different but she made them even more interesting by putting them in all different kinds of glassware.. I love the glassware she used. The glassware was so pretty and I ahave always loved all kinds of clear glassware or vases. This girl has started a new fad all by herself. Keep it up you are really doing a good job.