the new bohemians.

i’m back with another edition of the new bohemians. this time, i was inspired by this new york loft dining room, via living etc. i love how unexpected it all is — from the theater chairs and farm table mixed with the mid-century modern chairs reupholstered with vintage train schedules. an unusual combination, but as with any well done, modern bohemian look, it just works so effortlessly.

this is a great juxtsaposition of ideas, from the hollywood regency pieces to totally modern, i like it all, via domino magazine.

wonderfully modern white room with the one big pop of ornate turquoise blue via the chandelier, living etc. magazine; the room below with its floor to ceiling blue bookcases and leaded glass walls is pretty fabulous, via elle decor south africa.

and this room has just a little bit of everything — industrial and ornate, and even a bicycle thrown in for good measure, via living etc.

photographer gaelle le boulicaut captures the ultimate bohemian lair; and a toned down, modernized version in the bedroom, from living etc.

this is one very bohemian home sewing studio. it doesn’t get much more eclectic than this, via stadshem.

this room has just a little bit of everything too, from bertoia and eames chairs to exotic embroidered indian sari’s, but it all works together, via living etc.

Comments
25 Responses to “the new bohemians.”
  1. That dining room is amazing. I love how those reupholstered chairs! The last living room is pretty cute too.

2. Patricia says:

Lovely post! I would happily live in any one of these spaces… Especially if there is an Eames or ghost chair involved. :-)

3. Karina says:

That skull print is so cool! And that wall mount. Two things I wouldn’t mind having.

4. Megan says:

The decor in all of these rooms is stunning. My attention was immediately drawn to the skull print over the bed. I loved how it’s paired with the black and white bedspread. The dining room set is beyond gorgeous. My jaw dropped at the splendour of all these design ideas.

5. Keren says:

My dining room table is surrounded by thrifted and mismatched old, Diner Car Chairs. The mismatched chair is wonderful – especially when one lets guests choose where to sit – says a lot about personality.

Also are those bookshelves and that focal chandelier Yves Klein Blue? If so, I do a WHOLE post on that inspiring color in my blog! Amazing.

6. Grumble Girl says:

I need more antlers in my life. And, more cowbell. (But that’s a given.)

Delicious, all…

7. Sandra says:

Love the Bohemian look – it’s very European…and east coast too. Now that I am on the west coast I don’t see as much of it – but that might just because I am newish out here.

The tension between the old and the new – it’s such a delight and so difficult to pull off without looking like a flea market!

8. Sophia says:

If only I could get my hands on any of those spaces…but a girl can dream!

9. what a fab post.
    i’m loving the vintage theatre chairs as dining furniture. We’ve got a cafe at this side of the pond overlooking the olympic site that is full of mismatched theatre seating, lovely!
    kat

10. i like the twist of the train time tables as upholstery. move over french grocery bags – this is the new look! :)

11. Kristen says:

This series is so interesting. Loving how the material is collected from so many eclectic sources. If America is a “tossed salad” where people come with their own special, unique, qualities to enhance the overall experience then “New Bohemians” is the American design. Referencing old and new world resources and integrating global perspectives seems to dominate the design philosophy you’re showcasing. It must be a ton of work to scour all of the references you use. Thanks for bringing it too us so beautifully.

12. nicole says:

love, love, love every single photo! i could live happily in any one of these rooms. truly a delightful post miss Victoria!! oxo

13. sécia says:

I am so in love with these spaces but that table and chairs set in the first photo… OMG.

♥ sécia

14. I could spend ours on your site! I get so much color inspiration from you! Love.

15. janet morrin says:

loving this bohemian “series!”

16. Lindsey says:

I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw the wall covered in pictures. So perfect.

-Lindsey
    Et tu, tutu?

17. That turquoise chandelier is rockin’! It’s a strong and accent that your attention is immediately drawn towards it. It looks like the soul of the whole space.

18. Betina Luna says:

The table is perfect for the room! Great job with fixing them together.

19. christine says:

I like the blue chandelier.

20. Beautiful. I love the wall of photographs!

~Syd

21. Elena says:

I love all the white walls……and how do people get away with books all out with no bookshelves? Looks really good here.

22. michel stong says:

Perfect, I love this post.

23. Kathy Leake says:

Hi all, happy to see my NY Loft on this beautiful blog! the chandelier is Yves Klein Blue. And I actually had it “Flocked” in the UK. Its done by Thomas and Vines:

You can pick any Pantone color you want & they ship to the USA.