unexpected guests: new york loft.

last week i posted a beautiful image of a glimmering white new york loft with tall ceilings accented with a stunning blue chandelier. Tech entrepreneur kathy leake, owner of this beautiful loft, commented on my post and shared that she had actually had her chandelier ‘flocked’ with Yves Klein Blue by Thomas and Vines in the United kingdom, who will flock all manner of objects and surfaces in any pantone color you like. i was so pleased to hear from kathy, i asked if i might share more photos of living etc. magazine’s shoot of her beautiful soho loft and she graciously agreed.

What are a few of your favorite things to do in your SOHO neighborhood?

Our favorite thing is to walk along, or sail on the Hudson River.

Do you have a secret spot or off the beaten path place in your neighborhood you think we should know about?

The Ear Inn — One of the oldest bars in New York City. The Hudson River water line used to come up to the edge of it before the land was filled in to create a bigger Manhattan. It’s in one of the last Federal houses left in the city, Built in 1817.

What are your top three etsy, handmade or online shops?

I source from all over so, hard to pick a top three. I do love Unica Home, All Modern, AreaWare and CerealArt.

What five things can’t you live without?

my husband, my baby Ava, white wine, laughter and passion.

If you could go shopping anywhere in the world, where would it be?

i Wouldn’t mind going back to India to shop again. But for somewhere new, with a modern aesthetic, I guess Sweden.

What’s your favorite quote or expression?

Feel the fear, do it anyway.

What bores you to death?

Small talk.

• Photography by Matthew Williams for Living Etc.

Comments
21 Responses to “unexpected guests: new york loft.”
  1. Alexa says:

I am simply charmed by this place. The map on the wall is just a glorious idea!

2. Elizabeth says:

Wow. I love everything about this loft! The dining area is a favorite. Also, the pops of blue really work nicely with the white/gray color story. Thanks for sharing….

3. christine says:

Love the map wall.

4. cathy says:

Great loft! Is the cherry blossom art on the cupboards painted or is it decals?

5. sally says:

Map wall / wallpaper. Pinned.

6. Keren says:

It’s so clean, so white, so airy, so crispy. Also, Yves Klein Blue accents are NEVER wrong. LOVE the map wall, love the ironic/cute bunnies, love the ornate mirror, in short – I want to live here, NOW.

7. Ou LA LA!! This map wallpaper is everything! It’s absolutely, all the way perfect! my new house could have something like this, great idea!! thanks!

(New blog needing some love: http://inwhirlofinspiration.blogspot.com)

8. sue says:

oooh, you’ve outdone yourself with this one… love it!

9. the map wall is identical to the one in the lobby of my office building. we’re a global ngo, so its a logical choice.

10. Sandra says:

Living Etc. is such an amazing magazine. Their European aesthetic (no matter where the locations that the shoot like this one in NYC) is so fresh and fun and liveable. I find the same with Real Living Magazine from Australia. Even if it’s something like this – a Soho loft – that I’ll never have, there are so many unique ideas that you can apply to your own space.

And I love the interviews with the homeowners – the personal touch always grabs me.

Inspiring!

11. Kevin says:

Note to self: Get everything flocked.

12. sécia says:

That place is huge! I love SoHo more than life itself… she had great taste and that hallway is decorated beautifully.

♥ sécia

13. reminds me a bit of the hay loft in copenhagen – all cheery and bright. love the blue chandelier with rust pillow – sing out louise! me loves some complementary colors.

14. Lindsey says:

I love the chandelier and the map on the wall!

-Lindsey
    Et tu, tutu?

15. Thea vintage says:

Lovely colour palette! And the venetian mirror is fantastic.

16. Sophia says:

It’s amazing what you can do with loft spaces! I always thought that this abundance of space will take away some of the charm and coziness a house has, but with the right plan and accessories the result is so inviting.

17. Unicahome says:

Thank you for the mention!

Unicahome.com
    Unicaworld.com

18. Lyndee says:

Where do you get the map wallpaper?

19. fantastic points altogether, you simply won a new reader.
    What might you suggest about your post that you made some
    days ago? Any certain?

Here is my web page; new york air conditioner installation