unexpected guests: hilda grahnat.

today we’re visiting someone who’s photography constantly inspires me, hilda grahnat, a 25 year old photographer and graphic designer based in Malmö, Sweden. i’ve admired hilda’s work for so long and she was once even kind enough to allow me to order one of my favorite prints of hers — extra large. i love her fresh prespective and her unique ability to make even the most ordinary objects quite beautiful. hilda first caught my eye with her vintage by color photographs – you should check them out, and visit her lovely shop as well.

i love what’s hilda has done with her quaint studio apartment — she has loads of vintage collections, but they’re curated so well that her space doesn’t look crowded or cluttered. and i quite identify with how hilda likes to change up the ways she displays her collections (reminds me, well — of me). let’s have a visit, shall we?

What part of Malmö do you live, and what are a few of your favorite things to do there?
I live in a 39 sqm apartment in the southwestern part of Malmö, in the south of Sweden. My neighborhood is really ugly and boring, but a short walk away are blocks of lovely little brick houses that are typical for Skåne (the province Malmö belongs to) where I love to walk around (and dream about living one day). It’s also only a 15 minute bike ride to the beach, and a 10 minute walk to one of Malmö’s beautiful parks.

[ note how hilda has changed up the display on her dresser - the vintage yellow lamp stays, but the rest is updated, giving her a whole new look. ]

Do you have a day job?
I’m slowly starting to earn money on my photography. I do mostly weddings, interior and editorial shoots.

What kind of camera(s) do your shoot with?
I use a Nikon D700 with prime lenses (35, 50, 85 mm). I have over 20 film cameras that I use on occasion, but most often I am too impatient to wait to see the results.

What are a few of your favorite etsy, handmade or online shops?
I love Present & Correct, Fine Little Day, and… I can’t think of a third. I don’t usually buy things online, don’t know why.

What’s your favorite possession?
I hate to say it, but I don’t know how I ever lived without my iPhone. Other than that, I treasure old family photos and things I have inherited from my grandparents that are all over my apartment.

Favorite quote or expression?
“It’s not who you are that holds you back, it’s who you think you’re not.” (by Denis Waitley, I think).

What bores you to death?
Fantasy books/movies. I tried to watch the first The Lord of the Rings movie twice and fell asleep both times. [ i'm with hilda. ]

Comments
22 Responses to “unexpected guests: hilda grahnat.”
  1. Great combination of little frames and paintings on the wall and how cute little vintage alarm clocks!

(New blog needing some love: http://inwhirlofinspiration.blogspot.com)

2. Keren says:

The quirky clock collection is by far my favorite detail. However, her second collection , that of the empty glass bottles is also wonderful. The charm is in the 1950′s typography and color schemes allows to pop due to the ultra white walls. Brava.

3. Thea vintage says:

I am proud to be swedish! Hilda is so talented :-)

4. Sandra says:

After reading so many Swedish detective novels set in Malmo AND design blogs, here is the perfect combination – someone so stylish who lives in Malmo!

The classic Scandinavian look is much cleaner and whiter but I like her space. It’s inviting and seems like a place that someone really lives in. Not staged. It takes a lot of skill to pull together an eclectic collection without it looking like a thrift store with no rhyme or reason.

Lovely…

5. robin says:

Not surprised to see her place full of quirky details! Love her DIY desk and the clocks everywhere!

6. Mali says:

Thankyou both Hilda and yourself for coming out as sci-fi and fantasy dislikers. I’m so with you, can’t think of nothing else that makes me sleep so fast.

7. So great to see a fellow Malmö home on here! There are so many creatively talented guys around here in Southern Sweden and Hilda is right up there with the best!

8. “It’s not who you are that holds you back, it’s who you think you’re not.”
    great quote & space.
    thanx for sharing.

9. christine says:

I have been following Hilda’s blog for years now. Not surprised she’s now finally featured here….her house is a dream.

♥Christine

10. sarina says:

What a powerful quote. I also am bananas for that day bed! xoxo Sarina

11. Brittany says:

Hilda is the best! I’ve been lucky enough to work with her on a number of projects as I live in Copenhagen. Go Hilda!

12. vantiani says:

Oh what a surprise!
    I always see Hilda’s apartment as my idol in terms of the size and the way she decor every single corner of it. So happy to see her here! Yay!

Thanks for sharing, Victoria.

13. Ronnie says:

I love how she’s made use of every single bit of space in this studio, but it doesn’t feel cramped in any way. Off to check out her photography work!
    Great post, Victoria.

14. Hannah B. says:

The colors and the typography on these clocks are just to die for!

15. I love the photo wall, your kitchen table by the window looking over the city, and those clocks…I thrift all the time, but unfortunately I haven’t been able to score a super cute clock!! Maybe, my luck will turn around after reading this post!

16. Amber says:

what a cute place! I love how she displays her knick knacks. That is something I really struggle with.

17. What a gorgeous quirky appartement ..thanks for featuring Hilda……..have had a look at her blog and her shop and I love everything….especially all the clocks…….an obsession of mine

18. Hilda is becoming quite popular over here in Scandinavia, so I am delighted to see her making her way around the world! She is such an inspiration and I just adore her style and her lovely blog!

19. Amanda Rose says:

this is the most visually stimulating decor I’ve seen in a long time. Exciting!

20. La Rimule says:

A great “sens du style” !

21. i follow Hilda’s blog and i adore so mush her style. Her tiny apartment is so sweet.
    I think she is a new talent. Keeep going!