an atelier of our own.

Atelier is the French word for ‘workshop’, and in English is used principally for the workshop of an artist in the fine or decorative arts. so many of us work at home these days, or have at the very least carved out a little niche for ourselves where we might sit and aspire to greatness, whether it’s designing your next blog post, or a sofa slipcover or perhaps writing the next great novel. i found some inspiring spaces that might just help you along. even if it’s just a desk with a pretty chair or two like this atelier from rum, we all need a special spot we can call our own.

love the idea of the old mattress coils as organizer, via boligliv.

post it’s even look pretty on this gray wall, via nato welton; car möbel desk; and ledansla’s beauitful workspace and inspiration wall.

this space has such an eclectic mix of industrial chic and mid-century modern, via a beautiful living.

lovely looking industrial task lights in the studio of lisa grue via dos family.

pretty counter space you could achieve with two files cabinets as base, vie karlsson & uddare.

a stairwell makes a cozy desk space, via hus & hem; erin scott’s re-purposed door and sawhorses, via design*sponge.

another great use of sawhorses as desk base, photographed by Chris Warnes for Country Style Australia, via coasters retreat.

Comments
13 Responses to “an atelier of our own.”
  1. What a stunning collection of inspiration.

I love that mattress idea. It sparks a lust for creative restyling of discarded items.

Thank you.

2. kalanicut says:

So beautiful. Inspires me to want to sit down and create all kinds of beauty. A desk next to or in front of a big gorgeous window is beyond delightful!

3. Veronica says:

it really does make such a difference when a desk faces a window. i sacrificed many alternative arrangements for my bedroom because i absolutely refused to have my desk face a wall or anything other than the window facing the backyard. sometimes i get distracted from my work by birds or a cat trying to catch them but it’s all the more delightful!

4. Igor says:

I so wish I had space for a decent little home office slash atelier in my petit roof top apartment but alas – for now I have to drool over those pics!

5. Nicole says:

Was just busy re-organizing my desk today, and was about to scour the web for inspiration – turns out you did it for me! Thanks!

6. Barbara says:

lovely spaces, specially enjoy second one, love that table.
    brightness, whiteness is the best for working space!

7. I really like the bottom image from the Australian magazine.

8. sofa pink says:

Hi
    AN ATELIER OF OUR OWN.
    Fascinating views on that! very informative, Great looking site you have here and great post too.
    Thank you!

9. Pink Ronnie says:

I love the idea of finding an old door and combining it with two sawhorses. I was seriously going to go down that track for my current studio….
    Ronnie xo

10. I love all of the images. Makes me want to work on my workspace. It really should be a beautiful space because it is probably the room I spend the most time in.

11. I think I could happily work in any and all of those spaces. Fantabulous.

12. dustjacket says:

I love the first one especially, thinking I may have to change my desk position!
    dj
    ps the last pic is actually my edited scan from my post: coasters retreat