Thoroughly modern mod.

i just about flipped my bouffant wig when i saw jonathan lo of happy mundane’s vintage mid-century modern condo from better homes & gardens. great pops of color are achieved with the swipe of a paint brush, and loads of mix and match accessories. think mad men meets barbie & ken.

Inspired by the ’50s, this living area sets a white couch against the white living room wall as the canvas, perfect for pops of color in pillows. loads of pillows are affordable, in all colors, shapes and sizes and are definitely in order to get this look. these are two good choices: trina turk Ogee Embroidered Pillow and fine little day’s ruperta striped pillow.

they painted stripes on these walls and they look fantastic, but don’t feel like painting? how about some mid-century modern striped removable wallpaper from french bull? such a great idea! and for vases, you can keep it affordable with ikea’s yellow SOLSTRÃ…LE vase collection.

french bull’s melamine dishes would fit in here perfectly for entertaining (inside or out!) — the mosiac collection is great, or maybe the isis. and the Alexander Girard Alphabet Blocks from house industries work for getting the look, too!

Comments
17 Responses to “Thoroughly modern mod.”
  1. barbara says:

i’m in love with the square pink and yellow geometric throw pillow (with the hot pink velvet back) on the white couch. any idea where that might have come from?

2. Natalie says:

Fabulous blog!! I’m from San Fran but am currently living in NYC. Anyways just wanted to stop by and say hello :) love your blog! http://www.fashionifancy.com

3. Keren says:

My mom always says that she is kicking herself for getting rid of her seventies decor – papasan chairs, macrame, and wooden credenzas. How funny is the cyclical nature of design?

4. Abby Carlson says:

Amazing!! This apartment is full of everything I love!! I pretty much died and went to heaven when I saw this – thanks for posting! Also, absolutely love your blog, so fun and fully of inspiration.

5. Gorgeous, gorgeous! Love the comfy vibe with all the bright pops! The white! The natural wood and light!

6. homestilo says:

What a fun fun use of color- especially the collection of pillows on the sofa.

7. Megan says:

what a fabulous space! love the color pops here there and everywhere! beautiful post

8. dustjacket says:

Love all the amazing color and retro styling.

9. Loving this looks…
    So retro, So Fun!!!

10. Sarolta says:

This apartment is absolutely fantastic. I want that orange nook in the first picture!

11. Melinda says:

Favourite post ever! Beautiful interior and I love the items you’ve pulled together to recreate the look! Now where can I use that French Bull wallpaper…

12. Ludmilla says:

Very nice. I am starting to warm up to the mid-century modern, slowly. Perhaps it is taking me some time since I sort of remember it. I am not sure I would want my entire decor to be this style, but individual pieces I’ll take any time! Great post, sfgirl.

13. Bonnie says:

I HAVE THE SAME CURTIS JERE’ WALL SCULPTURE! Looks fab in their space. Very inspiring to see all the pops of color in their mod space. I’m getting lots of color ideas for my MCM space now. Thanks!!

14. Hollie says:

So pretty and fun! I love the idea of keeping furniture pieces classic and livening things up with trendy accessories that can be inexpensively changed out when your room needs refreshing.