unexpected guests: MCMF.

today on unexpected guests we’re dropping in on a mid-century modernist’s dream house — the home of Mid Century Modern Finds’ Christine, Carlos and kids. Longtime sponsors, and new found friends, Carlos and Christine have carved out an amazing San Francisco home in the neighborhood of Ingleside, full of treasures from their many flea market excursions. One minute an amazing vintage find might be in their home, the next it’s up for first dibs on MCMF. Carlos does the work refurbishing their treasures and the renovations on their home, including a deck with views to the pacific, a spiral staircase which winds down the the kids’ playground, and the amazing tiling in the kitchen and bath. Here’s a peek at their marvelous mid-century modern space.

Do you have a secret spot or off the beaten path place in San Francisco you think we should know about?
I would say a little hilltop that I run to (about 6 blocks away). It has a 360 degree view from the ocean to the Marin Headlands, to San Francisco, the Bay, Daly City, and back to the ocean. It’s often foggy, though, so I especially appreciate it on a clear day.

Carlos would say many of the cafes/bars in Dogpatch, SF. The Ramp on the water is one of our favorites for live music on a sunny afternoon.

What are your top three places to shop vintage?
We have a lot of friends who are local vintage dealers that we buy from, so it’s hard to name three, but our friend, Chris Howard, of Antiques and Modern in Berkeley has a great selection of high end Danish Modern and Mid-Century furniture and is very knowledgeable.

What’s your very favorite vintage find?
That’s a tough one. They are all so different and each one is unique. We love it all, but our favorites are usually art and chairs (which are like sculptures to us), such as a Hans Wegner chair we got from the flea market in SF, an Eames LCW chair we got at an estate in Palo Alto, a DeGroot sculpture we got from a Craigslist seller in Marin, a collection of Scandinavian art pottery we got from an estate sale in SF, and many vintage abstract paintings and prints we have found at thrift stores, flea markets, and from local dealers.

Do you have a favorite flea market and any tips for shopping there?
The Alameda flea, the Alemany flea, and the Santa Cruz flea market.

Tips: Know the difference between a reproduction and the original and get there early. Take in everything you see and learn. There is so much tangible history there. We have a lot respect for flea market dealers. They work hard and are great pickers.

If you could go shopping with anyone in the world, who would it be?
Each other. We don’t get to do it much anymore with a 2 and 5 year old at home. By the time Carlos gets back from the flea market our kids are just waking up. We’ve both always loved Sunday flea markets and have fond memories of going to flea markets with our mothers – Carlos in San Salvador and me in Marin.

What’s on your turntable?
Puerto Rican salsa, Cuban Nueva Trova, Bossa nova, Flamenco, and Jazz.

Comments
33 Responses to “unexpected guests: MCMF.”
  1. Meghan says:

Thank you for posting this! I check MCMF weekly, so it’s super fun to see their home and find out more about this family. What a gorgeous house!

2. neo says:

Love this space. So bright and eclectic. Really like the plane on the wall. A playful tough.

3. courtney says:

This is a really cool home! When I see mid century pieces by themselves, I am usually not the biggest fan, but everything fits together perfectly here. It’s very inspiring.

4. You weren’t kidding….. this is no doubt a mid-century modernist’s dream home, love it!

5. Sally says:

oh my, i adore the look of this home! the piece of art above the sofa on the blue wall – gorgeous combination!

6. Shay says:

WoW ! I LOVE every morsel. My MCM style totally, super good personality infused in every shot. Their online store is wonderful as well.
    Shay

7. Cheryl says:

Obsessed with this site!

Beautiful house.

8. The matching typewriters!

9. Marie says:

I would love to know the exact paint color used on the dark wall in the bedroom. Beautiful!

10. Sarah says:

This house is beyond amazing! I would love to know who that piece of art is by hanging above the sofa. The contrast with the deep blue wall is stunning.

11. Thanks for the beautiful comments!
    Marie – the paint color in the bedroom is Benjamin Moore’s Gentleman’s Gray
    Sarah – that painting is signed Harrison and is currently for sale on our website

12. Jenny says:

If I ever have a kid I am definitely using that wonderful idea of the stick and butterflies coming out of the wall, holding the canopy! It is is whimsical and simple!!!

13. look see says:

Loving the retro-goodness here! :)

14. So many inspiring things to look at, the kids rooms are especially nice!

15. Thea vintage says:

The first pic is showing the exact colour I want to paint one of my walls in!

16. Martina says:

Wow! I love this so much I just pinned more than half of the photos…

17. Lisa says:

Amazing collection, beautifully curated and so tastefully put together! Are you also available for design consultations?

18. This home is amazing! Love all the mid-century modern details yet it still looks like a livable home with lots of personality!

19. Carin ogier says:

Christine, so nice to see your home. It looks stunning!! Love, carin

20. Thank you!!! All of the comments are much appreciated.
    Thea Vintage – The paint in the living room is Benjamin Moore Deep Space.
    Lisa – Please email us at info@midcenturymodernfinds.com. We’d love to find out more about your project.

21. Shannnon says:

Please, please tell me where the sofa is from! It is everything I covet in style,configuration and color! BTW Fantastic space and collection!

22. Corey says:

Wow!, what a beautiful collection, everything fits perfectly! ….Love the kid’s rooms!
    Great work!

23. Oh my! So many amazing decor pieces. Thanks a bunch for sharing!

24. Wow i have follow your blog for almost a year and this is the best so far: best photos, best home, best mid centrury furniture and flea market finds. Love it!

25. Thanks again for more beautiful comments!
    Shannon – We bought the sofa at a thrift store, but seemed to be a new floor model. Unfortunately it has no tags, and we have not found it anywhere else, so we don’t know where it’s from. We are on the hunt for vintage Milo Baughman sofa, though, so we could contact you when we sell it if you want?

26. ME ENCANTAAAAAA!!! the definitive push I needed to buy a blue sofa
    big fan of your blog!!!!

27. Emilie says:

Hey.
    I would like to know who has designed the dark wooden desk in the second last picture?
    I love the retro feel about it.
    Hope somebody can help me :-)

28. Jill says:

I found the photo of the airplane on pinterest. I MUST do something like this in our home. We are finishing our basement with an aviation theme, as my husband is career pilot. Any ideas of where to find something similar? I have been striking out online…

• victoria says:

jill – you might try salvage yards. there’s quite a few in san francisco. and i think sometimes the military holds auctions and sells off old aviation equipment – maybe the airlines do too.

29. Aimee says:

Beautiful Kid’s room! We are in the process of doing my daughter Ruby’s room and are wondering where you found the stick for the canopy??

thank you!!

30. Adela Makowski says:

What a beautiful home! I keep looking at it, getting inspired. Thank you for sharing! I would love to find out the paint that was used in both children’s rooms. Please! :-)
    Many Thanks,