no rules. just great design.

i quite like the decorating manifesto behind this home tour featured in bolig magazine: “Blow the rules and decorate with heart”. that’s my kinda design. Dare you mix graffiti with large-flowered pillows? danish stylist Camilla Tange Peylecke thinks it’s just fine. i like the way she thinks and i admire her very eclectic, unfussy effortless style. for the full house tour, visit bolig.

• photos by peter kragballe.

Comments
18 Responses to “no rules. just great design.”
  1. cathy says:

Isn’t this really the design advice we should all live by? I enjoying looking at Scandinavian design blogs and the one thing I’ve noticed is that the homes (almost) always look like people actually live in them. They’re decorated with a mix of vintage, antique, new, hand-me-down and whatever seems to be necessary in a graceful style, with a bit of quirkiness. I’ve also noticed that the Swedes and Danes, etc. appear to be much more comfortable throwing in items from Ikea, while Americans seem to feel a need to scorn Ikea. (Have you ever read comments on Apartment Therapy?) Many Americans aren’t as confident in their decorating and are much more concerned about slavishly following design “rules”. Rules are meant to be broken! As always, thanks for the lovely photos.

• Claire says:

Hi Cathy

It really is. I totally agree. I can not wait to own our own home and decorate it as we see fit and with things that makes us happy.

You mention that you look at Scandinavian blogs? I’d be really interested to know which ones? I am new to this site so going to go and rummage through the back catalogue of posts. Can’t wait to see what I find

Claire

2. Bobbi says:

I love these spaces. I agree with what Cathy is saying about the homes looking lived in and comfortable. It helps me look at my own home from a new perspective.

3. kim says:

Love it ,Love her!

4. These photos are stunning!! I’m in love with that blue floral pillow seen on the couch and the bed. Any idea where it’s from??

xx
    Amanda

5. I get the impression from these photos that the home and it’s decor really reflects its owner, it seems personal and well-attended to. It is truly a beautiful home!

On a side note, I love the graffiti! I have been wanting to “tag” a message in my daughters room.. perhaps the words to a French children’s poem (she is bi-lingual). This interior has convinced me to go ahead and do it (although perhaps I better start with a canvas before actually painting on the walls…).

6. Mariela says:

Love this post!
    I don’t like rules when I am decorating my home, rules are for others things in life, you need to decorate like you said from the heart, I decorate my house so that my husband, child and two dogs feel at home and not a museum. Also that word I really don’t like it, who likes rules hehe!

xx

7. Mandi says:

I honestly believe thats the bet way of decorating as well, there shouldn’t be any other way!
    This house is purely wonderful!

8. WAUUUU…
    THANK YOU for this beautiful post about my home!
    a big smile from me,
    Camilla

9. Rachael says:

Hi. Great post. Any information on the beautiful desk and chair in the second picture? It’s the desk/chair combo to the right. I love the clean lines and would love to know who makes them?
    Thanks!
    Rachael
    rachaeld67@hotmail.com

10. Emily says:

Silly question? Where do I find those shoes?!