mighty girl.

“About a year ago, just after my divorce, Victoria invited me to her New Year’s party. I’d never been to her place before, and I remember wanting to touch everything — the whole house looked like it was glowing. I nudged the flickering votives, added a note to the chalkboard, sat on the living room rug and ran my hands over it.

I’ve heard it said that how we keep our homes is a mirror of our inner lives. Everything at Victoria’s house was welcoming and chosen with care, such a reflection of who Victoria is — a nurturer, someone who cares about your comfort.

Being newly single, my own house had been feeling akimbo. I was living in the same space as before, only with holes where so many familiar objects had once been. I wasn’t any more sure what to do with my space than I was of what to do with myself. And at the time I didn’t have the energy to feather the nest for “just me.”

But here was Victoria, living on her own, in a jewel box she had created. Her gorgeous, feminine space reminded me that I could start with my surroundings and work inward. That a single girl’s home could be cozy, glowing, and filled with laughing friends.

Recently, I came across this piece by Maira Kalman on one of Victoria’s Pin boards:”

“And home is like this too. It can be an expression of ourselves in a particular space and time, an invention that never stops evolving.

So here’s to Victoria’s new home. I can’t wait to see who she is next.”

Mighty Girl //

Comments
16 Responses to “mighty girl.”
  1. What a lovely friend you have! Hope you’re finding ways of making your home a reflection of you :)

2. CherylOrin says:

While turning the pages of Nate Berkus’s new book, I came upon a beautiful note that Nate wrote explaining why “things” in a house are meaningful. Here it is: please enjoy:

I’ve always believed that your home should tell “your” story.That pine table over there? I found it in a shop just outside of Mexico City. The sun was beating down and I was a little hungry, but I saw it and I knew I wanted to look at it every day. Those cuff links? They belonged to somebody I loved; we picked them out on one of the most perfect days we spent together. That tortoise shell on the wall? There was one exactly like it in my mother’s house and I can’t see it without thinking about a thousand inedible family dinners. Each object tells a story and each story connects us to one another and to the world. The truth is, things matter. They have to. They’re what we live with and touch each and every day. They represent what we’ve seen, who we’ve loved, and where we hope to go. next. They remind us of the good times and the rough patches,and everything in between that’s made us who we are.

Thank you Nate, I truly agree and I love your new book. It has become one of my memories:)

• victoria says:

i love this. it’s so true. my treasures all mean something to me — they have history, which is why i had such trouble letting go of some of them when i had to scale down to this place (it’s so much smaller). but i think i’ve brought along the true treasures. i’m happy and at peace with what’s here.

3. automatism says:

Such a lovely post — and love that photo and quote, too. Have a wonderful time rediscovering nesting!

Lori

4. molly says:

what a lovely post. i have been there. it’s hard. and when you are ready to rebuild, it’s the best. good luck to both!

5. Marjory says:

Beautiful words. Indeed, we are constantly reinventing ourselves, with the passing of every season and cycle, a new layer is revealed.

6. Jenna Sue says:

Love this post, very inspiring. I can’t wait to see what you do with the new place!

7. Yvonne C. says:

An soulful tribute indeed comes from the deepest place in one’s heart, stashed away for times like BIG moves and shake-ups in life! Looks like you two come full circle together at the important times.

8. mosey says:

What a lovely lovely post… and very inspiring too!

9. Cathy Jean says:

This one made me cry. Oh-how it resonates- and it really hit home. ha ha.. Beautiful.

10. EBK Riley says:

Love this. Maira Kalman has long been a favorite and this lovely piece is such a nice tribute to human endeavors of all sorts.

11. Christine T. says:

Nate looks at his tortoise shell and thinks of 1000’s of inedible dinners?!

12. beautiful, love this. Maira Kalman is amazing and so are both of you!

13. RPRKR says:

I love this quote from Maira Kalman. So inspiring. I’ve been enjoying the guest posts this week on the subject of home. It can be a very abstract thing and it’s nice to take a moment and consider the meaning of home to each of us. Best of luck in your new space. Change is exciting!