a pinboard in particular: window shopping.

i thought i’d start something new around here — i call it a pinboard in particular. every other week, i’m going to challenge myself to create new pinterest boards that i hope inspire you, as well as myself. i find so many great ideas for pinboards on pinterest and i think it might be fun to share some ideas here. this week i’m sharing one i started called window shopping — it’s a look at great store fronts with some inspiring typefaces gracing their windows. sign painting is such a unique and somewhat lost art (but making a comeback) and i’m simply charmed by these windows.

what’s the most unique pinboard you’ve seen? do you have one that’s a little outside the box?

old faithful shop sign — getting painted by a pro.

kitka.

tiny’s giant.

san francisco’s bell jar, by nathan michael.

pot + pantry by amy tremper and ben tremper.

saturdays surf nyc, via the sartorialist.

ruby’s barber shop, via brought to you by the letter e.

everybody dance now, via typotheque.

nest on fillmore, by me.

• top image via because it’s awesome.

Comments
19 Responses to “a pinboard in particular: window shopping.”
  1. Chloe Moon says:

Ooo I love this idea!! My pinterest boards aren’t out of the box but I’m going to make an effort to make them cooler…I love the windows!!

Ergo – Blog

2. Cathy Jean says:

Cool idea! I don’t have a favorite store-front window on Pinterest, but I live near Berkeley and love this aesthetic of old letters on shop windows! Here is a cool hat store in the Elmwood. http://www.goorin.com/hat-shops/elmwood

3. Anabela says:

I think you’ll enjoy this blog post about the shop of some friends getting a hand-painted sign! http://www.loveitalot.com/2010/06/garments-gifts-sundries.html

4. Oh I love these!! Love following your blog!

5. Joanna says:

An interesting idea, shopping windows are a great canvas for creative ideas.

6. Oh, I miss shopping at Nest for xmas.

I’m a huge fan of the classic LES gold lettering. Old school!

7. Keely says:

I think that is an awesome idea! Loving the typefaces in the windows, can’t wait to see what comes next!

8. I instagrammed a neat one Saturday night – my favorite music venue just opened a bar next door called Jalopy Tavern, and the window typeface is lovely. It’s even cooler that with the streetlights coming through the glass, the sign gets projected onto a blank space on the wall!

9. Elizabeth says:

I adore lovely typography in store windows. I was amazed to watch the owner of this comic book shop in our neighborhood paint this sign by hand. http://lovesrobots.blogspot.com/2012/09/the-long-road-to-stardom.html

10. Leanda says:

Great idea Victoria! I’m looking forward to looking through all the lovely new pinboards you’ll create! This is wonderful though… my heart skips a beat everytime I see a beautiful bit of typography. What with the recent chalkboard trend I for one am very happy to see it returning to its advertising roots. You are so lucky to have such wonderful shops around you too :)

11. Tina says:

Such a great idea, and some beautiful shots too!

12. rachael says:

oh ma, i love window signs so much, it makes me ache! i can’t wait to have a shop so i have dress it up!

13. carrie leber says:

wow what a great round-up and so inspiring!

14. I loved this post! Thx

15. I love window shopping :)

16. Karen T says:

This is a great roundup. I keep a collection of shopfront images and keep meaning to organize them in Pinterest, but will follow yours instead!

I did a blog post the other day about my quest for the perfect fisherman sweater, and noted that I pin them often. But you’ve inspired me to give them their own board, aran sweaters forever.

Thanks, Victoria.

17. Ana says:

Love this idea, Victoria!

I have one question, can you maybe recommend any blogger meet ups here in San Francisco or any crafty workshops?
    We moved 7 month ago from Germany to San Francisco and I would like to get in touch with some like-minded folks. :)

Thanks in advance!