rustic charm.

i’ve moved into this crazy san francisco earthquake cottage and the oddness of certain nooks and crannies never cease to amaze, and yet charm me. i’m constantly discovering some oddity of architecture and wondering, ‘why the heck did they do that?‘. as in all rustic spaces that certain vintage charm can go a long way — and if doesn’t you need to make it work. modern touches in very old places just work for me. there’s a history there that when enhanced can make a home just that much more interesting.

john derian via the new york times (above and below).

the style files and a great holiday lighting idea from toast uk.

love the old caddie and makeshift bar, via bethany nauert; and sweet great plains soap dish from izola.

brooklyn to west’s beautiful woodwork.

striped bedding from toast uk.

• top images via wonderdusts and bethany nauret photography.

Comments
24 Responses to “rustic charm.”
  1. Samantha B. says:

Aha! I also live in a converted, ramshackle, strangely-expanded earthquake shack in Noe Valley…thanks so much for providing that link! I’ve been here for 14 years and have slowly collected information from neighbors about our cottages (originally I thought we were living in a carriage house, as we’re behind a large Edwardian, but I recently discovered that it is, in fact, an old earthquake shack). May you be happy in your new home!

• victoria says:

cool! maybe we’re in the same area – i’m on 28th near church. when i saw my floors before they sanded them it was like they built them from whatever was laying around:

i kinda wish the landlord would have kept them. i’m behind a large edwardian, too!

• Samantha B. says:

Yes – I’m on 30th near Sanchez! We have original wood plank floors (except in the kitchen, bathroom, one of the bedrooms & the loft) that are in dire need of being re-finished….there are some crazy additions we have on this house (I think there’ve been at least three add-on renovations since before we moved in)….do you have a 2nd story loft added on to yours?
        You can see some pictures of our cottage here, though our family’s expanded since and we’ve done alot of work (mainly cosmetic & decoratively) since these photos have been taken: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/house-tour-by-susie-79588

• victoria says:

so cute! no – i have no loft – but there would be room for one. my bedroom ceiling is super high – a-frame style, which would hold a loft.

see you around the neighborhood. :)

2. Casey says:

That’s really interesting! I had no idea they built shacks for the displaced after the earthquake, but it makes perfect sense! Can’t really have a tent city in windy, cold SF. Very cool that some are still standing and habitable.

3. Beth says:

Who is the artist of the painting in the photo with the skull and two chairs? (next to the photo of the lighting) I absolutely love it and it looks so familiar and I would like to check out more artworks by him/her.

4. helen says:

love this. when will we see a full photoshoot of your new home? xx

5. Harmony says:

Preciosa y el dormitorio un sueño, idílico

6. mosey says:

We have the opposite type of home which I’m finding quite difficult to style. It’s a small modern cookie cutter condo filled with some rustic or vintage furniture and it’s not looking quite right. Any tips for a chump like me? :)

7. amanda says:

i lived in SF for years and never heard of this! how did you find yours? are there realtors in SF that specialize in this?

• victoria says:

oh there’s lots in bernal heights and the mission. i don’t think i’ve ever seen a realtor that specialized in them, but maybe a bernal heights real estate agency might know.

8. Great post!

The black Mongolian sheepskins? AH- Mazing.
    The floor lamp in the last image? I die.

Thanks for sharing!

~Cam and the Hound

9. Yelle says:

I love every single image. Can I live in these photos?

10. I love those old house with a history that you can feel, those places taht have a soul.
    Isabelle

11. hannah says:

Oh my, i absolutely ADORE un-sanded and rustic wood. I have a barn conversion and have just sanded down the floor boards and decided they look stunning without any varnish.
    love the rustic look!

x

12. There is something about older small spaces that can call you to peace. When you work with and not against the design, you end up with a very warm and personal space. Not like you don’t know that :) I can’t wait to see how you turn this place into a haven of tranquility.

13. Bethany says:

I am so flattered that you featured my work in one of your posts. So SO delighted xo

14. teresa says:

Wow, I had no idea there were these shacks! It makes sense, of course, since people needed somewhere to live after that earthquake. I love that they have been preserved and it is so cool that you get to live in on of them! I am totally fascinated by these now. Such an interesting story. Have fun setting up your little house!

15. Nikki says:

I love all that natural wood!