hardest working desk ever.

i’m loving this month’s lonny magazine and this was one of my favorite features — the small studio apartment of matthew kowles, general manager of charlotte moss’ interior design firm. by layering a piece of glass over a family heirloom desk from his grandfather, matthew re-purposed a fairly basic looking desk creating an amazing conversation piece and catch-all for his collections. i love the unexpected industrial-looking metal sawhorse legs supporting the glass over the desk, and leaving that great little space for books and collectibles. then, to entertain he pulls the glass top and sawhorse legs out and into the center of the room to repurpose as a dining table. genuis!

• photos by patrick cline for lonny.

Comments
11 Responses to “hardest working desk ever.”
  1. christian says:

the desk makes me wanna work every time i get home without feeling depressed.

christian | my blog : http://www.christianyuen.blogspot.com

2. Chloe Moon says:

Wow…how beautiful and sentimental! I would love to do this w/ my grandfather’s old desk…=) I didn’t realize the new Lonny magazine came out! Woohoo!! I have to check it out!

Ergo – Blog

3. I really thought it was ingenious…a beautiful combination of aesthetics and function..xx meenal

4. That is such a fabulous and genius idea! I love that you can see meaningful items underneath the glass but still have the whole work table free. And that the wooden piece acts as great storage for a glass table that otherwise would have none.
    Extra function + extra design!

Miro – DoseofDash.com

5. so gorgeous, talk about the perfect marriage of form, function, and feeling.

6. sue says:

this was my favourite image from this edition of lonny too! i keep gaping at this whole apartment and admiring how beautifully everything flows…

7. sarah says:

Such a creative way to incorporate a family heirloom into a modern design. I would love to see what chair he uses.

8. kim says:

Loved this desk!

9. Jennifer says:

What a brilliant blend of beauty and function!

10. Laura says:

I really like the painting of venice. Tried to find it on google but did not succeed. Does anybody know it’s name and the artist?