in my dreams, i live here: modern surf shack.

it’s really, really cold here in san francisco right now. i know, you’re thinking california wusses, right? but it’s all relative and i’m freezing, typing away wearing a wool beanie — inside my house. so in my dreams i live here, in a warm beach shack, somewhere on the coast with lots sunshine streaming in and the gentle sound of lapping waves keeping me company. this gorgeous photo by erin kunkel for the design*sponge summer 2011 newspaper completely inspired me. c’mon, let’s get warm — you with me?

clockwise, l to r: tom bonauro’s home via rue; tropical leaves via sarita pannekoek; west elm’s bentwood pendant; summer snapshot via designskool; and Geometric Shape Tray from electric collective.

b-arch designed kitchen, via desire to inspire.

clockwise, l to r: my lovely things; the brick house; claudia smith; west elm cacti.

stylist shannon fricke, via lifestyled.

ashley helvey and freunde von freunden; and erin kunkel.

79 ideas.

Comments
15 Responses to “in my dreams, i live here: modern surf shack.”
  1. amanda says:

loving the retro fridge in that kitchen!

amanda

2. cathy says:

I so needed this post today. In fact, more pix–showing more blue ocean and sunny skies, please! I can appreciate being cold. It’s finally WARMED UP to a balmy 8 degrees, though I think it’s up to 11 in downtown SLC. Should be a bit warmer by the time ALT SLC rolls around. Keep the warm posts coming! Maybe photos of mint juleps and kids running through sprinklers?

3. I also dream about living in a beach shack … I already live by the water, so what am I waiting for! Thank you for the inspiration.
    Ania xo

4. Digging this space!! Thanks for sharing -

5. Sarah says:

We’re in the middle of a very hot summer over here right now. I’m very lucky to actually live in my very own beach shack down the road from the ocean. Love all the decorating inspiration in this post, and the reminder to appreciate what we are blessed with here (even the very hot balmy nights)!

6. Carly Renee says:

San Francisco IS freezing and I don’t like it much at the moment. I want to live in this beach “shack” too!

7. olivia says:

I just love this so much! It’s so “surfy” but still clean, going against the ideas that surfers live in grungy shacks.

I miss Summer <3

If you're interested in boho jewelry, check out my new collection here: (website coming soon!)

8. Loving the beach shack. There is something about the California coast that even Hawaii can’t touch. Stay warm up there!

9. Mary says:

My thoughts exactly! It’s cold and quite dreary here in the deep south.

10. it’s a very chilly, very dull 50 shades of grey in the NYC metro area. west is best.

11. Lisa says:

Funny you should mention the Design sponge summer paper because I was reading it the other day. I had mine mailed to me from a friend in SF. I live in Ontario, Canada and oddly enough took a walk on the beach this past Sunday. Our snow has all melted and gave way to a beautiful day.

12. those windows above the bed are just killing me, imagine looking up at that in the morning?!

13. michelle says:

I love the bedding on the last pic!!! Where can I get it!?!?

thanks :)

14. Blandine says:

Love this beach inspiration…
    It could be an article in my blog based on ocean lifestyle and inspiration:

Thanks for this beautiful photos!