step into the salon.

dining-room-portrait-gallery

i love a lovely salon, or home gallery of vintage portraits and paintings. the more personal the better, and the more unusual — well let’s just say i’ve got a thing for the unique, whether it’s the unexpected placement or the painting itself. it’s why i’ve held on to good old rico suave for so long, but lately i just can’t seem to find a spot for him. i went looking for a little inspiration and found some great little salons, boasting everything from a very kitschy mother and child to the beloved family dog. oh, rico, where will you go?

paintings

clockwise, l to r: lonny; dos family; oliver jeffers.

pet-portrait

english family antiques.

chocolate-painting-pillow

chocolate creative’s pillows make for a nice, unexpected placement.

design-sponge

i like this portrait all on its lonesome, via design*sponge.

ernest-hemingway

ernest hemingway looks just swell here, via photographer alexi hobbs.

llamasvalley

a lovely collectio of vintage paintings from llamas’ valley.

kitchen-sink

this image of paintings above the kitchen sink has always been a favorite of mine, via lyla & blu.

vintage-paintings

home life and house and home

• top images skona hem.

Comments
20 Responses to “step into the salon.”
  1. Cynthia Wig says:

Thanks so much for all of the inspiration you provide, Victoria. What lovely pictures!

Regarding Rico, how about placing him in a spot above your kitchen cabinets? I love a man in a kitchen.

2. amanda says:

those hat models? wooden heads? i am very strangely into them. i want to put them on my piano and say things like, ‘step into my gracious drawing room’. im pretty into that distressed leather couch also. a touch more accessible.

great post!
    amanda

3. Mistie says:

Beautiful! I could see any of these spaces in my own home.

4. KMP Modern says:

Gorgeous photos. I love the mix of traditional style painting and sculpture with contemporary rooms. They all felt lived in and totally chic. I especially enjoyed the dog portrait with the wooden heads. It’s an update to surrealism. Thanks for posting!

5. Jensen says:

The one that’s half blue, SO COOL. I now want to create a salon of half painted over framed things.

6. Patricia Cook says:

I am so loving all these pictures, they are great inspiration. I love unique decorating, and am always attracted to something unexpected and beautiful.
    I grew up in a home that was decorated from Sears, and everything matched and there was nothing unique at all to look at. This is no reflection on my parents, it’s simply the way it was.
    Thanks for your fabulous blog, I adore coming here every day!!

7. great inspiration! We’ve stayed away from portraits at our house for some unknown reason (except for a picture of Winston Churchill..husbands idea) but I really like what you shared!

8. shawna says:

yeah, Oliver Jeffers! it’s in his book _Here or There_. AWESOME.

9. nichole says:

Love all of these. Inspired!

10. Jade Sheldon says:

I find everything in this post completely inspiring…

Can’t wait to decorate my home with beautiful paintings one day…

11. Leanda says:

Truly inspiring!

12. Fabricotti says:

This is such an inspiring post. I love the idea of the painting dipped in turquoise paint. Iris

13. alice says:

I like Cool Spaces for my home and I look it as a part of interior design

14. Josh says:

I really like the half covered painting of the lady only leaving her eyes. For some reason it reminds me of some Banksy pieces of his defaced art style work.

15. This is a super smattering of inspiration! Love this post.

16. Cathy Jean says: