smeg-worthy.

fine-little-day-smeg

oh, how i long to be smeg-worthy. i mean, i think i’m deserving of a smeg refrigerator, but perhaps my pocketbook is not up to its hefty challenge. a smeg is worth saving for though, as anna at door sixteen recently reminded me. a smeg is ‘the’ refrigerator and i mean to own one of these babies one day. but perhaps unlike some, i do not long for the ice-cream pastel smegs but instead the creamy, off-white smeg. she’s the one for me. let’s worship upon a few more smegs in the neutral end of the color palette, shall we? yes, i say let’s.

cream-smeg

magnus selander photography.

creamy-white-smeg-fridge

clockwise l to r: sköna hem; apartment therapy; strawberries with milk; and vt wonen.

smeg-white

varpunen.

strawberries-with-milk-smeg

strawberries with milk.

white-fridge-by-smeg

varpunen; dusty deco; sköna hem; and loving my jetlag.

• top image by fine little day.

Comments
34 Responses to “smeg-worthy.”
  1. Vivian says:

I don’t want to covet a smeg, but you’ve convinced me!

2. Tifa says:

Makes me think of Red Dwarf and Lister calling everyone smegheads.

3. Joanna says:

Who doesn’t love Smeg!

4. CeCe says:

I long for the bright red Smeg in the West Elm catalog. So perfect.

5. Anathalia says:

Yeah, if I could own one, I think it would be a creamy one too. So adorable!

6. Leslie says:

Okay, that was weird. I was told I was posting too quickly, but only clicked once?

I think they are really cute, but you need to leave a foot for it to open properly (per the specs). Since most people buy these to save space, that doesn’t really make sense to me. Also, the price is a huge drawback.

• victoria says:

hmmm, i don’t know why that happens but i’ll check it out. it does occur now and then.

they may not be practical, but i surely do love them. it’s just one of those pretty things. :)

7. elle says:

The Ace Hotel in NYC uses these fridges (in cream or black) for their mini bars. I would love a black one for my flat!

8. Valentina says:

I love Smeg design!

9. Igor says:

Smeg is really iconic in kitchen appliance design. I also love their dishwashers. I mean, who would think that even a dishwasher could look stylish in a kitchen!!

10. Courtney says:

We are redecorating/remodeling our kitchen and this is something I am saving for! I think I want the silver one though. Also doing a checkerboard floor with Marmoleum.

11. Sarah says:

I am consumed with longing and envy over this fridge. Consumed.

12. Lara says:

I am very lucky to have scored myself a Smeg and though the creamy is dreamy, I went for the pastel green which is perfect for me. Not a day goes by that I regret the purchase (I did get a good deal, they are out there) and other than my cat there is not a thing in my apartment I love more.

13. Lissy says:

I, too, hope to be smeg worthy one day. However, my dreams are for a bright red one!!!

14. Jade Sheldon says:

*Sigh* I’m longing for a SMEG for my husband and I…

15. Elena says:

I am on the creamy off-white Smeg train with you! I do love the classic black too. ;) I have yet to find the larger version with the two handles. (Freezer on top) Do you know another resource for them besides the Smeg and West Elm websites?

• Lara says:

Hey Elena,
      As far as I know the two compartment smegs are not ava at all in the U.S…. yet. It would not hurt to write the company and suggest that change that.

16. tamara says:

SMEG Love….
    I once took a job in West London (Off Richmond Cricket Green) it was so idyllic and just the kind of location that I always dreamed of working in – however the job really was not for me and we all realised this quite quickly – but afterwards I realised what had made me go for the job in the first place – they had a SMEG fridge!

17. emma lamb says:

Oh, I would love a creamy white SMEG too… but need to save for that and a big enough kitchen to put it in. One day! x

18. Leanda says:

I wholeheartedly agree. It’s not just a fridge. It’s THE fridge. I too hope one day to be a proud owner :)

19. Cindi says:

Some women want a diamond…
    I want a SMEG!

• elizabeth says:

i am glad to know that i am not the only person who would rather have an aesthetically pleasing appliance over a diamond.

20. Anne says:

Yes, yes! – you’d be crazy not to love a Smeg. I too love the cream the most. I touched one in the store one day. They ARE crazy expensive and have a disappointingly low energy rating so they are probably expensive to run too. But aaaahhhh, yes the Smeg…

21. Sky says:

They are not as energy efficient as many Japanese ones though. That’s why even though I had the budget for it I didn’t get it.

22. Anna says:

I love this post! I, too, have long lusted after a Smeg retro fridge. Last time we were fridge shopping I was miles off convincing my oh-so-practical husband, but who knows… some day. I love the space and mod-cons of our current fridge (the icemaker is a godsend in summer) but I think the sheer joy of opening a beautiful Smeg fridge would trump its less-practical aspects! I love the pastel pink and baby blue colours, but I think when it came actually buying one… I would probably go for a simple, stark white one, and let its beautiful contours speak for themselves.

23. Cori Magee says:

First off, get one you deserve it! Secondly, I love the one you show in the images above (although I might want the black one). However, on the Smeg site they only show the single door refrigerators with a freezer “compartment”. I want one with a separate freezer. So much better, right? Do they not make the 2-door anymore I wonder…?

24. Karen from CT says:

Here is another link to a Smeg-Benita at Chez Larrson had to have one. I love her blog and would love to be half as organized as she is. Benita gets more done in a weekend than I do in a month! Her house renovation is total inspriration. Here is the link-http://chezlarsson.com/myblog/2012/10/366-day-275-281.html

25. maria says:

I, too, covet the off-white creamy smeg! It’s what dreams are made of!

26. Karin says:

Well, I have the two-compartment Smeg in black (living in Europe) and really love it. Every time I’m in the kitchen, cooking or just going past it, it makes me happy all over again that I decided to go for it. As for the energy efficiency – it’s an A+ rating and my electricity bill has actually gone down.

27. Kate Coffee says:

I totally understand your passion for Smeg refrigerators! When I was like 15 years old I first saw one in a magazine and since that day I knew I wanted one for my future house. And twelve years later, I finally got one for my new house. The bright red one, shiny as a candy apple. :-) And I love it so much, it’s probably my favourite “furniture” in the house… :-p

28. sky says:

@Karin – thanks for the comment on the A+ rating…. i’m going to check out the two-compartment one :)

29. elizabeth says:

i did not even realize that i needed a smeg until i saw this… you are doing god’s work here, victoria. how else would i have known?

30. Louise says:

I have loved my red Smeg these last 8 years, but it has now gone Caput. My husband always complained that the interior was flimsy and not worth the money, with one of the door shelves breaking at one stage. I was happy to overlook this, however 8 years is not a long time considering how much it cost. Having looked at reviews online the brand seems to have a very poor reputation regarding customer service, length of time time waiting for parts and the sturdiness of their design beneath the highly appealing aesthetic exterior. Miele is my appliance brand of choice simply because I know they will give me years of service with high efficiency ratings. It is a shame that Smeg has neglected such considerations in favour of design, rather than pursuing robust design with aesthetic appeal. I for one will not be replacing my Smeg with a Smeg.

31. I love this so much! My mom and I spent tonight looking for kitchen ideas for her new house and absolutely fell in love with this refrigerator and kitchen!