thoughts for a friday.
i’ve had the flu this week so in-between bits of fevered delirium i’ve had lots of time to think. you know how when you’re sick it’s almost like new year’s, and you make all these really self-help, affirmation-like resolutions to yourself like, “when i get better, i am going to juice everyday. and walk for miles. and live more simply.”? do you do that? you just appreciate your body and a healthy lifestyle that much more when you feel like absolute crap, right? then the next day, a bag of lay’s drops in your lap and you’ve been brainwashed by the man all over again, “just one chip”. anyway, i digress. i’ve been thinking about living more simply, and good design, and what i like to share here. so here are my simple thoughts for a friday.
• so, good design. this certainly applies — this up top is ballpoint pen wallpaper by talented New york designer Alissia Melka-Teichroew and her brand byAMT. yep, a ballpoint pen drew this design. even the scribble one is rad. go look — you’ll see what i mean. These cheeky graphics are a clean and unexpected nod to childhood misadventures. Mom and Dad: please take note and don’t discourage the wee artists in your household.
• vinyl — do you listen to it? you remember these don’t you – records. with their ultra-cool cover designs and the smooth feel of the disc in your hands as you gently slip it onto the turnable and ever so carefully lower the needle. i’ve been really into them (again) lately and love hunting them down at the flea market or once in a while i’ll make a special field trip over to streetlight records on market street to browse their two floors of record collections. i’ve found some gems for less than $10. good old records — you can’t beat the feeling or their nostalgic sound.
• live and make more simply. i do not jest here. i really do want to do things like canning and preserving. i do want to own a toaster, and not a toaster-oven. i like old stuff and i like it a lot better than new stuff. it’s just better designed, thus cooler looking, and for some reason i’d much rather look at the stuff in my cupboard and shelves in old glass jars than some modern cannister. do they even still call them cannisters?
• graphic design eye candy. i just love this layout by designer jessica comingore for a cd for renée yoxon for her new album with mark ferguson. i love the color palette, i love the shapes. i love it all. and i guess here’s proof that some cd’s do have just as cool design as the old vinyl. lesson learned. read more about their beautiful collaboration here on jessica’s beautiful blog.
• nighty nite. sherie muijs has launched a limited edition nightshirt, sold exclusively through Simon James Concept Store. she’s only made only 30, so act now — like those infomercials often say, “quantities are limited”. that’s sherie there, by the way — looking cozy, reading magazines in bed like we all long to do, just below her very lovely bookshelf. it’s simple too. i love that.