butterflies are free.

mid-century-butterfly-chairs

i’ve always been attracted to the mid-century modern butterfly chair. as a kid i think my parents had them on our backyard patio (flip them over and they have the makings for a great fort). they are the perfect chair for a high-low mix like you see in this glamourous high-ceilinged living room photographed by line klein for rum magazine. i love the unexpected contrast they add to all that fancy crown molding and marble mantelpiece. here’s a few more eclectic butterfly looks i love. you can see more of my favorite butterfly chairs on my pinboard, butterflies are free.

stella-harasek

Stella Harasek’s Jorge Ferrari-Hardoy butterfly chair.

butterfly-chair-collection

clockwise, l to r: alexis toureau photography; iron butterfly from at west end; Jorge Ferrari-Hardoy original Butterfly Chair; lonny; vintage butterfly & fishnets via anexo solana del mar.

black-butterfly-chair

black leather buttery Jorge Ferrari-Hardoy butterfly chair from Stella Harasek’s home.

• also up top is talisman 1970’s knoll leather butterfly chair.

Comments
17 Responses to “butterflies are free.”
  1. sue says:

i have a slight obsession with these chairs… trying to hold off buying one until i can find a vintage one in mint condition… may not be able to wait after seeing this post! love, love, love! sue

2. Anathalia says:

Inspiring pictures! This chair is really amazing.

3. i think i may be attracted to their comfort more than anything … that dip in the middle looks like the perfect place to sink my posterior!

4. Those chevron hardwood floors are a dream!

5. what do you think of the replicas? I noticed CB2 and Urban Outfitters have a similar style (though I’d love an original to be sure)

• victoria says:

i had an Urban Outfitters leather one and it was quite nice, actually. i didn’t have room for it in my new place, so i sold it to a friend. it was super comfortable, too.

6. monika says:

I may be in the minority but I think these chairs are incredibly uncomfortable! I do like how they look, and was also obsessed with them, until I sat in one. Now I look at them and think about the pain I’ll be in after 20 minutes & then the awkwardness of trying to get out of one .. Sorry to be a downer.

• victoria says:

i find them super comfortable – at least the few i’ve sat in. but i would agree that getting out of them can be less than graceful. ;)

• monika says:

well I must confess that I hurt my back 3 years ago and that is probably the reason I find them so uncomfortable. So if you are still spritely then enjoy! And remember to bend your knees and tighten your abs before you lift (and never bend/twist!) so that you can forever enjoy these lovely looking chairs.

7. love every single one of these photos! & loving that first chair, the brown (i’m assuming leather) one.

8. sandy says:

Oh God, desperate to pin down at least one of these chairs for good. Love them so much. Have always thought white on white but the black frames are pretty spesh too. Arrhh decisions, decisions… Thanks

9. Moniek says:

Can’t get enough of those butterfly chairs. Very elegant.

10. Jo says:

loving the pictures!

actually the last pic is also from Stella Harasek’s apartment and the whole lovely apartment can be found in one of her blogs Hima…

11. These are completely gorgeous. I’ve never sat in one, but I’d imagine they’re blissfully comfortable to sit in, but a bit of a pain to get *out* of!

12. victoria says:

maybe i should have called this post “butterflies are free, but hard to get out of” ;)

13. Wonderful blog and gorgeous images!

I too love these chairs, I’m off to try and source some for my website so thank you for the inspiration!!

Best wishes, Julia