a pinboard in particular: a book by its cover.

minoo-design-book

this is my latest pinboard in particular — i call it a book by its cover and it’s a collection of vintage book covers that i fell in love with. like so many things, they very often don’t design ‘em like they used to. always exceptions to this rule, but i love the graphics and typefaces i found in these book covers.

Vintage-book-covers

bol.com and the accidental optimist.

animal-farm

george orwell’s animal farm from Professor Booknoodle.

gertrude-stein-book-cover

three lives by gertrude stein from Veiled Through Time.

vogue-reader

vouge’s first reader from assouline and the bell jar by sylvia plath via philo sofia.

ezra-pound

ezra pound’s selected poems and the rose tattoo by tennessee williams, both from design collect.

• top image via minoo design.

Comments
8 Responses to “a pinboard in particular: a book by its cover.”
  1. Aaron says:

Hi Victoria! Glad to have found your blog. Thanks so much for including some books from the Alvin Lustig collection @ designopolis. As one of our featured designers, we always stock a good amount of his work in the shop.

2. Ergo-Blog says:

I know I shouldn’t but I so judge a book by it’s cover! I have to check out your board!!! =)

3. Hilary says:

Thanks for the literary eye candy. I love these, especially the oddly cheerful Kierkegaard. One wonders what the design brief looked like for that one -

4. Vicky says:

Hi Victoria – I think you’ll like From Cover to Cover (http://www.from-cover-to-cover.com). The designer Jenny Volvovski (who also happens to be my sister) redesigns book covers after she reads them. The designs have a similar esthetic to some of the ones you picked here.

5. Sarah says:

I can always be relied on to be completely swayed by cover art. What can I say? I love good design!

6. ally says:

this is one of my most time consuming habits (also money consuming) i get sucked in for hours at a time looking at covers online, then it always happens the same week i do that, i spend hours in bookstores looking for the best vintage covered books. eh, it’s really not that terrible.

7. well, perhaps I need to start another pinterest board as well to highlight book covers. i purchased this book this week because i simply fell in love with the cover.

8. Libbynan says:

Whenever I walk into any antique venue, the first thing I look at is books. I love old books! I especially love old books if they contain the original owners name; and if they have a gift superscription, I am in heaven. I agree that the old jackets , with their more subdued and more designed covers, are more satisfying than today’s more garish jackets. Of course, I think the books themselves were better, too. But that’s just me……